Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:22pm

Style: American Kenpo, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Lethality of Combatives

Hi All,

I have studied American Kenpo for a long time, mixing in some Ju-Jitsu here and there to be a little more well rounded. I was curious about the self defense style of Combatives and how lethal it really is. I was looking into several instructors from Kelly McCann to Hock Hochaim to Micaheal Janich to Damian Ross, but I am still unsure about how effective it really is.

I was wondering, before I spend the money on any one particular instructor or course, can someone who may have trained in the Combatives arts now or in the past, point me in the right direction as to whom would be the most realistic for street self defense. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:27pm

Style: judo/jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all dont fall for marketing schemes. You wont become uber deadly from watching a tape. Honestly the best advice anyone can give you is look at the schools around you and try to find someplace that trains with aliveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead View Post
    First of all dont fall for marketing schemes. You wont become uber deadly from watching a tape. Honestly the best advice anyone can give you is look at the schools around you and try to find someplace that trains with aliveness.

That's the thing. There are no combatives schools by me. I have your standard, run of the mill Kung Fu, Shotokan, Ju-Jitsu, Shorin-Ryu, Kenpo, and Tae Kwon Do schools by me. I don't mind traveling a little if I have to though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:05pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remember to KISS. When you see combatives stuff thats full of techniques that rely on expert timing, fine motor coordination and advanced skill...its probably not gonna work for you or anyone else. If on the other hand, you see things that apply gross motor skills, big movements and can be learned with minimum drilling, you're on the right track. The more slappy and dancy you get, the les it works.

The best approach I've seen is http://dogbrothers.com/?cat=19 <--- here.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real question is what good does it do you? Even it these systems were a lethal as advertised what are you going to do with it? Be the Lethal king of the suburbs?
    People who go for these types of things are usually ones that have absolutely no need for it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The real question is what good does it do you? Even it these systems were a lethal as advertised what are you going to do with it? Be the Lethal king of the suburbs?
    People who go for these types of things are usually ones that have absolutely no need for it.

LMAO, lethal king of the suburbs. I never thought of it like that!! Very true and I see your point. I was just always interested in it and I wanted to learn it.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am already King
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    LMAO, lethal king of the suburbs. I never thought of it like that!! Very true and I see your point. I was just always interested in it and I wanted to learn it.
    Why waster your time with lethal combatives when you can put into something that might actually be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    I am already King
    Only because I don't live in the suburbs.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why waster your time with lethal combatives when you can put into something that might actually be useful?

Only because I don't live in the suburbs.

What would you suggest that would be more useful? Remember, I don't have a ton of options around me, but I don't mind traveling a little bit.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:59pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Like Judo or basket-weaving. That can be plenty lethal. But something tells me by your posts that you do not need a "lethal" style. You may need a shrink, but since I do not play one of TV, I cannot diagnose you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast