Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to UKWCA classes in the past, including some with James Sinclair, and they do not spar.

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 7:19am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    I have been to UKWCA classes in the past, including some with James Sinclair, and they do not spar.
    Yup me too. The first Wing Chun school I trained at was under James Sinclair.

I would actually say they are one of the more decent WC organisations but are still along way from where they need to be.

Very little sparring, some alive drills but the vast majority is just standard compliant WC stuff.

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Surely identifiable as a troll from this comment alone?
    Hey,

No not a troll. Just, in light of the criticism that WC gets here, thought I'd bring these videos to light, to see what people thought. Hmm, unless that does make me a troll?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 10:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do understand that makes it sound trollish to some people right?

KKK Meeting: Dey tuk our jobs.
    nfd:Hey guys I decided to wear a Black Power T-Shirt to the Klan meeting in light of the criticism minorities get here. I thought I'd bring it to light to see what people thought.

If you know something is criticized and may be so confrontational you ask people to be calm......
    See what I am saying?

Posted On:
    8/23/2011 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You do understand that makes it sound trollish to some people right?

KKK Meeting: Dey tuk our jobs.
    nfd:Hey guys I decided to wear a Black Power T-Shirt to the Klan meeting in light of the criticism minorities get here. I thought I'd bring it to light to see what people thought.

If you know something is criticized and may be so confrontational you ask people to be calm......
    See what I am saying?
    Yeah fair enough. I guess my motive in posting probably seems pointless. The reason I wanted to get an opinion on this guy and his system is because I am moving out from my folks soon (I'm 18), and there will be a UKWCA class right by where I'm living. I'm primarily a judo guy (and intend to keep it this way), and have done some kickboxing, but if the WC class is on my doorstep I may drop in for a few classes to see how they train and see what it's like first hand, you know?

Because of people's reaction to the mere words Wing Chun on this forum, I thought I'd get an opinion without letting on that I intend to try it, but I understand that it made me seem a troll.

When I've been (I'm moving in 2 weeks) I will drop a post to let you know how it was.

PS - KKK analogy was pretty funny

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/23/2011 10:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, what I would argue is that you want to try it because you can't believe it is that poor. To go from kickboxing and Judo to a patty cake art is funny to many people. Remember most chun asshattery starts with a non-contact chunner trying to tell amateur fighters how to fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't wearing gloves the done thing to do during sparring? Kyokushin guys don't hit the head with bare knuckles but what these guys are doing looks like it would just end with broken hands and heads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 9:19am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    Isn't wearing gloves the done thing to do during sparring? Kyokushin guys don't hit the head with bare knuckles but what these guys are doing looks like it would just end with broken hands and heads.
    The reason it doesn't is the same reason it's not sparring.

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 1:01pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a former Wing Chun practitioner, I will say this: Wing Chun sucks anus. I know it gives people a warm, fuzzy feeling to pretend that there's some hope for Wing Chun and that it's just a couple of things that need fixing to make it great, but that just isn't the case. Yes, the practitioner and training method are more important than the fighting style used. But the fighting style used still matters, and the whole "There is no BEST martial art" attitude is sort of on, but there certainly are arts that are complete **** and a waste of time. Wing Chun is one of them. Always attacking down the same line is stupid. Keeping your chin up is stupid. Trying to Pak Sao, Tan Sao, and Bong Sau quick punches out of the way is stupid. That's why when Chunners actually try to fight they end up throwing uncontrolled wild punches and getting their asses kicked with no defense up and all of their form goes out the window, and then to defend it other Chunners simply cry "That's not Wing Chun!!!" As if actually using Wing Chun with perfect form would have been any better.

Sorry to rant, but the whole diplomatic "Well, I guess it COULD work, if <fill in the blank> was implemented" sentiment just sort of pisses me off. How about "Wing Chun COULD work if the style was scrapped and rebuilt based on things that are tested and found to work instead of stupid theories"? Seems to be the most honest answer to me.

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 4:53pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nfd View Post
    Yeah fair enough. I guess my motive in posting probably seems pointless. The reason I wanted to get an opinion on this guy and his system is because I am moving out from my folks soon (I'm 18), and there will be a UKWCA class right by where I'm living. I'm primarily a judo guy (and intend to keep it this way), and have done some kickboxing, but if the WC class is on my doorstep I may drop in for a few classes to see how they train and see what it's like first hand, you know?

Because of people's reaction to the mere words Wing Chun on this forum, I thought I'd get an opinion without letting on that I intend to try it, but I understand that it made me seem a troll.

When I've been (I'm moving in 2 weeks) I will drop a post to let you know how it was.

PS - KKK analogy was pretty funny
    I literally live next door to an aikido club (well, a school, which runs aikido four nights a week). don't want to waste my time there when I can BJJ or Judo 45 mins away.

If you're really a judoka, go to one class and hopefully you'll see just how far away this is from good old randori. WC sucks, I did it for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast