Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/12/2011 6:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun in the UK

Before I start, let me clarify that I am not currently a practioner of Wing Chun, thus not setting out to promote it, nor I am intending to criticise it or stir up a commotion (as it is a particularly touchy subject on this site!)

Most of the criticism that Wing Chun gets on this site is for the way it's taught by some schools - with no "alive" sparring, lacking emphasis on physical conditioning and it's perceived cultish disregard for other arts.

However, I recently watched an interview on youtube with the head of the UK Wing Chun Association, about the way he teached the art, and it seems that his methods are pretty good - they include a focus on sparring and physical conditioning, whilst retaining the core principles of the art. Here's a link, was wondering what people made of it:

(It's in 2 parts).

P.S. Please try and keep the hating to a minimum, and I realise I run the risk of being moderated by bringing up such a touchy subject yet again!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 6:00pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from what iv read and seen of the UKWCA, they are good instructors and seem to know their stuff.

on another note, their rooting and structure is terrible. wing chun is 2/3 lower body. no foundation, nothing to build on. fancy hands wont mean anything without structure. but thats something you get when you're from the yip chun lineage.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nfd

Thanks for posting. I recognised Bob Sykes, Editor of (UK) Martial Arts Illustrated, a monthly mag - which has that bloody Matt Fiddes in it again this month. I'll have to reconsider buying it.

Anyway, I was quite interested in the sparring in the second. It made me think. The first vid just looked like happy-slappy hands. The second had some discernible patterns, so that piqued my interest. Not much actual power in the strikes. I liked the 'flow' though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone point me to the time stampt of the sparring? Not the drilling.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    0:35 - 1:20 in part 1.
    6:45 - 8:25 in part 2.

In case that wasn't sarcasm.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    0:35 - 1:20 in part 1.
    Hmm err hmm. I've watched many posters say the 52 Blocks videos aren't sparring. That is equal to those videos.

6:45 - 8:25 in part 2.
    Drills none of that is sparring.

In case that wasn't sarcasm.
    Now I'm thinking you are being sarcastic. I see the semantic definition of sparring. There is no sparring in the times you posted according to most posters on this website.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nfd View Post
    P.S. Please try and keep the hating to a minimum, and I realise I run the risk of being moderated by bringing up such a touchy subject yet again!
    Surely identifiable as a troll from this comment alone?

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Now I'm thinking you are being sarcastic. I see the semantic definition of sparring. There is no sparring in the times you posted according to most posters on this website.
    You didn't say good sparring. And anyway, it has just a tad bit more resistance than the 'other drills'.

Comes as close to, basically. (Which is why I said 'In case that wasn't sarcasm.')

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:34pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    You didn't say good sparring. And anyway, it has just a tad bit more resistance than the 'other drills'.
    You are right I said SPARRING. I see no sparring in the times you posted in either video. I have done Two Man Sets, which are in no way sparring, with equal and harder contact than that. No, it didn't have any resistance. Faster does not equal harder nor does it move into the realm of sparring.

Make sure you get my use of "I" which means that "I see no sparring." Others may. I read the two posts and wondered if I missed a segment when I skimmed through the video.
    Comes as close to, basically. (Which is why I said 'In case that wasn't sarcasm.')
    I consider point sparring closer to sparring than anything in both of those videos.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/21/2011 4:38pm at .

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Raises hands in the air* Well **** it then. There ain't no sparring in those videos.

In comparison to the other stuff in the video.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast