Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm new here had a question about an instructor

I live in Michigan I'm in my 40s I studied a little Karate in the past, I don't have a lot of time to train, with work and family. I was told about a guy named Rocky Pasiwk, he is suppose to be a real no non sense type of martial arts guy. I watch a class he was teaching some police officers. When class was over we talked, and I must say I'm torn about his attitude or maybe I'm just old school. He insist on being called just Rocky, no titles, trains in street cloths. I guess what strikes me is his lack of uniformality, of course I just watched the one class that was more for Police officers, but he gave me a demo on Stick fighting and it was impressive, no fancy twilling or crazy fancy things I see on you tube. The most disturbing thing that he said was that he believed a good street fight would beat most so called master, I thought this seemed , very dis-respectful.

Its been a long time since I studied, maybe things or attitude have changed, I'm think of train with him and seeing what I think has anyone had any experience or opinions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like this guy teaches a more practical approach to fighting and combat, based on traditional martial art techniques, than an actual traditional martial arts system. The traditional martial arts system seems to be what your background is in, which is likely why you find Rocky Pasiwk a deviation from what you expected. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. They are just packaged differently with different emphasis. It really all depends on what you want to get out of your training, and that is largely based on the individual instructor rather than a particular style or organizationl. Im an not sure where you are at in Mi, but if you would prefer a traditional martial arts training experience, I am sure you can be accomodated. If you want to try this guy's more practical approach to fighting, and you liked what you saw in the class, I would certainly go for it. Its all dependent upon what you want to get our of your time and X dollars a month. I hope you are satisfied with whatever decision you make.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming when the guy stated most martial arts masters would loose in a street fight he's referring to your average run of the mill family karate/tkd master which are a dime a dozen excluding your Judo or BJJ masters which are walking gods among men.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Sounds like this guy teaches a more practical approach to fighting and combat, based on traditional martial art techniques, than an actual traditional martial arts system. The traditional martial arts system seems to be what your background is in, which is likely why you find Rocky Pasiwk a deviation from what you expected. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. They are just packaged differently with different emphasis. It really all depends on what you want to get out of your training, and that is largely based on the individual instructor rather than a particular style or organizationl. Im an not sure where you are at in Mi, but if you would prefer a traditional martial arts training experience, I am sure you can be accomodated. If you want to try this guy's more practical approach to fighting, and you liked what you saw in the class, I would certainly go for it. Its all dependent upon what you want to get our of your time and X dollars a month. I hope you are satisfied with whatever decision you make.
    Thanks I think I will give it a try for a while what the heck its not like I'm trying to make a living or dedicating my life towards it, I just want some basic self defense skills and if it develops into more so be it.

I haven't found anything bad about him actually I haven't found much of anything except that he has been at it for a while. So what the heck.

Thanks Will

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I'm assuming when the guy stated most martial arts masters would loose in a street fight he's referring to your average run of the mill family karate/tkd master which are a dime a dozen excluding your Judo or BJJ masters which are walking gods among men.
    Thanks for the reply when he mentioned the street fight thing he wasn't saying it as if he was the street fighter, he simply was stating that there are guys who live to drink and fight and they are pretty dangerous and many trained Masters just simply are not prepared for "SOME" of these crazy guys.

As to your God amongst men comment I'm assuming you were teasing, I know there use to be a BJJ school in the Detroit area that is now closed according to what I get out of the Newspaper a few years ago, the 2nd or 3rd degree black belt owner got into a fight in a bar and he slammed a guy to the ground and started hitting him and I guess he never trained for the 2nd guy that walked up behind him and hit him in the back of the head with a pool stick or something, what ever it was the poor black belt guy pretty much just lays in a bed and looks at the ceiling all day. Its a sad messed up world.

As for me training in BJJ or Judo I simply don't have it in me, I admire the guys that can dedicate themselves like that though, I have like maybe 2 hrs a week to myself, I may be wrong but it seems like those arts take long long hours and lots of dedication, I just want basic self defense.

Thank You
    Will

Style
    BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everything worth doing takes a **** ton of time and effort and hurt.

Even sex.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Irwin View Post

As to your God amongst men comment I'm assuming you were teasing, I know there use to be a BJJ school in the Detroit area that is now closed according to what I get out of the Newspaper a few years ago, the 2nd or 3rd degree black belt owner got into a fight in a bar and he slammed a guy to the ground and started hitting him and I guess he never trained for the 2nd guy that walked up behind him and hit him in the back of the head with a pool stick or something, what ever it was the poor black belt guy pretty much just lays in a bed and looks at the ceiling all day. Its a sad messed up world.
    Will
    Welcome to bullshido. This is called an anecdote. It would be really cool if you got us a link to the story. See, this forum is weird because we like proof. Also, this happens to EVERY art. I can get you stories of a fewTKD 3rd Dans that were murdered. They train for Multiple attackers. I can get you stories of cops, with guns, that have been killed by multiple attackers.

No art trains you properly how to take out multiple attackers.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/11/2011 9:04am at .

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Irwin View Post
    As for me training in BJJ or Judo I simply don't have it in me, I admire the guys that can dedicate themselves like that though, I have like maybe 2 hrs a week to myself, I may be wrong but it seems like those arts take long long hours and lots of dedication, I just want basic self defense.
    There are guys who can only make two classes a week in my BJJ club who can still tap(?) ass, many of them are blue belts and there are a couple of purples - it just takes a bit longer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No art trains you properly how to take out multiple attackers.
    Maybe machinegun-do...lol

Ok but seriously
    In regards to the instructor being in street clothing and preferring not to be called master, I fully understand your dilemma, I too feel this way with many martial arts, but you tend to see this type of attitude and nonchalant attire with non-classical/combatives type of martial arts. The focus is different and as such so are the manners in which one trains, which in my personal opinion is a shame because there are a few things that combative type classes offer that would really benefit classical/traditional martial arts. I say try it out what’s the worst that could happen, you might like it and your point of view towards specific clothing or authoritative names will change

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmma View Post
    Maybe machinegun-do...lol
    Except even military members die in combat. So no, there are no guarantees. Their is strength in numbers, situational awareness and tactics yes. Then again this guy is talking about Self defense and H2h. He is also implying MMA vs Traditional or Street vs Sport or Ring/Mat vs. Street MAs which is a very common refrain.

Replace his anecdote with any martial art and the story can be exactly the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last