Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

high collar grip options

This is directed toward you judo guys... I'm pretty new to judo, so I'm looking for some help. I should also preface this by saying that I'm not sure if "high collar grip" is the proper terminology, even though I saw it in some other threads.

What I'm speaking of specifically is a high grip behind uke's neck, where his head posture is broken down a bit. I've been using this a lot lately, because I feel like I have excellent control over my opponent, but I'm sort of lost as to what throws I should be looking for. I have a feeling that I could hit sasae tsurikomi ashi, or hiza guruma, or deashi harai, but I wanted to hear from those with more experience... What are your go-to throws from there? Are there any things I need to watch out for, risks or risk-vs-reward, etc.?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can use that grip for many, many throws, however, as a beginner, i would suggest that you focus on the standard sleeve/lapel grip as it will force you to get better at the fundamentals.

you might want to check out the youtube videos by ptnippon for a better explanation than i can give, he talks about the high collar grip at around the 5 minute mark in this video:
    http://youtu.be/t4T5rXyCQvs
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 12:53pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy playing off a high collar grip. I rarely get a solid throw off of it but I find that it distracts most opponents.

Usually, if I get a throw off the high collar it's a foot sweep, not because it makes the sweep easier, but because my opponent is worried about the grip so doesn't pay attention to his/her feet.
    Last edited by ignatzami; 8/11/2011 1:02pm at . Reason: clarification
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play from a high grip all the time only because I am so much taller than most of the people I play. I use it mostly for hip throws and leg throws. uchi mata in particular. As you stated, it allows for great control of there head, and normally where the head goes, the body wants to follow.

It is counter-productive to get a high collar grip if your uke is taller than you, because it cause you to be off balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 3:28pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't let you get that grip if I can help it. That grip is bad.

It's great for most forward throws to that side. The downside is that you can only really attack one direction.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    I won't let you get that grip if I can help it. That grip is bad.

It's great for most forward throws to that side. The downside is that you can only really attack one direction.
    Yeah, they mentioned that in the video posted above. I've been thinking all afternoon about how I could possibly attack to that other side.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beginners such as the OP need to stick with the standard sleeve and lapel grip. Most people grip too low with it anyway, leading to a lot of the problems with control that they have.

The lapel grip should be even with the height of tori shoulder, never lower, a little higher is OK, as uke collar will slip around a bit and get lower.

The high collar grip requires, when done correctly, ( as judoka uk has pointed out recently) a lot of strength to hold and apply. A basic of gripping is that tori elbows should be pointed down, and the HCG tends to leaving the lapel hand elbow open, which, to a decent judoka, is an open invitation to throw uke. So if using the HCG, you have to keep your forearm against uke chest to keep the elbow down.

Other noobs won't have a clue, so it works on them, or, judoka who have no clue in general, which might well be higher ranking (including black belts). Taller judoka often rely on the HCG if they have no one their height to train with or crappy instruction in basics.

In summary HCG is not a beginners grip to use. Relying on it to dominate other noobs will retard your overall development in Judo.

Taller judoka can grip under the ear of UK with reasonable success. If all your uke are so short you can't stand it, I suggest basketball.

As Res Judicata pointed out (via PTNippon), the HCG also tends to restrict throwing to a couple of directions, although a very skilled judoka can do more with it.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so am i the only mudansaha here that actually tries to follow judoka_uk's, bkr's and pt_nippon's advice to stick to the classic sleeve/lapel grip?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP.

To be able to use the HCG you must answer yes to all 4 of the questions I'm about to ask you. If you answer no to even one, you're not at a stage where you can use the HCG and not have it retard your Judo.

1.Can you do this?

2.Can you do that holding like this:

3. Can you hold onto someone like this, with your elbow down and forearm on their chest for the entirety of a 5 minute randori and have a usable hand at the end of it?

4. Are you a 1st kyu or above?

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    so am i the only mudansaha here that actually tries to follow judoka_uk's, bkr's and pt_nippon's advice to stick to the classic sleeve/lapel grip?
    No on ever listens to me, you get used to it...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 4:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    OP.

To be able to use the HCG you must answer yes to all 4 of the questions I'm about to ask you. If you answer no to even one, you're not at a stage where you can use the HCG and not have it retard your Judo.
    I can honestly say yes to the first three... We do those drills pretty obsessively, and I even drill them on my own (in fact, I did for about 30 minutes this morning). I also have pretty insane grip/forearm strength from Olympic weightlifting, along with actual grip-specific exercises that I do.

Now for the last one, no. Point taken.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast