Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 7:57am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting a combo with double roundhouse?

I've recently started a new MMA club (which i'm about to leave) in their kickboxing classes the instructor tends to start his combos with a double roundhouse kick. Personally I cant stand it cause I burn out at the beggining of the combo (yes, my conditioning is not what it use to be). All my years of training I've never seen anyone do this that much. Usually at the end of the combo or for condition purposes (pyramid kicks or just doubles for certain amount of time).

Maybe I'm just whining cause i'm not crazy for double kicks.

Is this a common way to start a combo?

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 9:54am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    same leg or left right?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 9:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its fine if you are an excellent kicker who is confident in their takedown defense. I have no idea why he'd teach it to a beginner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 10:07am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same leg. He tends to use the lead leg (and not switch).

There's just one class and everyone does the same stuff (even people who just come to try out a class with no experience!!).

They're young inexperienced instructors. Part of the reason I'm leaving (I've been thai boxing on and off for 12 years, spent 2 years living in Thailand). I'm a bit out a stickler for proper kicking technique and no ones has it at this club (was mainly there cause the BJJ instructor is a great humble coach). I really feel like speaking up when there demonstarting but fairly new to the place so dont, but will with whoever I partner with to correct technique.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like a TKD kick-rechamber-kick again kind of thing? It's less powerful than a regular roundhouse kick, and a lot of people don't recommend multiple chambered kicks outside of point sparring because of low kick or takedown danger. OTOH it also catches some people unaware and an opponent who does a karate style low block against a mid or lower round kick is inviting that sort of thing, and it has enough power to jar the head.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wado-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like a TKD kick-rechamber-kick.......I learned those.......one of the most useless thing I ever let my legs do. Thats was when I thought karate was god-sent and totally oblivious to muaythai/mma

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/16/2011 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it 'Kickboxing' or Muay Thai being taught?

If it's the former I can understand why an instructor would find that appropriate.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 4:03am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we talking about a double muay thai kick where you bring the kick all the way back and quickly hop on the lead foot to kind of rechamber the hips?

I knocked an MMA guy out cold accidentally with this on Thursday, as Whiteshark says - they're fine if you are a good kicker.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 10:47pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen people use it in full contact sparring where it went low to the inner thigh (or groin--I do Kaju) then high to the head--the low shot brings the guard down for the high shot. You got to be a damn fast kicker with flexible legs though for that to work. As Whiteshark said, it's not for noobs.

Posted On:
    9/17/2011 11:42pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body to head works much the same way. First shot lowers their guard and moves them off balance enough to prevent them countering the speedy second kick to the head.

I don't know about needing much flexibility for it though, its two separate kicks (unless he's talking about a ridiculous chambered double roundhouse kick). It just takes a little time to develop the technique to fire them fast.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast