My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/12/2011 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    I've never shot anything more than a BB gun (and a weak one at that) but I've always wanted to own a legit firearm and learn to shoot. Since now I'm a bona fide adult then why the hell not. From what I've read I should start with a .22 but I don't want to concern myself with that just now.

I have really crappy depth perception so I thought learning to shoot could help me develop some tricks to estimate distance. Oh, what the hell, and it looks damn fun too.

Just reading what they require to own a handgun, much less actually shoot it baffles me. I just wanted to know how bureaucratically (and financially) painful buying it, registering it, registering yourself, registering your travels with your gun then registering yourself in a shooting club from a fellow Canadian who's bought a handgun before.

I have zero experience with firearms and I have no intention of joining law enforcement, the military or even hunting in the future. I'm more interested into improving my manual dexterity and learning cool things while blowing off some steam. So for a hobbyist looking to keep it as a hobby I was just wondering if it was even worth it.

Thanks!
    Buy a .22 rifle first. That won't cause you near as much grief as trying to buy a handgun.

Handguns are harder to learn to shoot correctly as well. Start with a rifle and move on from there.

Even better, buy an adult sized/powered air rifle.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/12/2011 12:16pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This site about Canadian gun laws might help you:

http://panda.com/canadaguns/

I'd say I pity you folks, but I used to live in the people's republic of New York City. Connecticut as far better gun law, fortunately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2011 5:19pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post

When my grandfather had a heart attack, the Paramedics came saw his gun rack, called the police. Even though my cousin is RCMP, he was not able to get all of them released.
    Contact the CSSA or the NFA. They might be able to help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 10:42am

Style: thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds to me like you should just go to a shooting range pay your fee and go nuts. the headache youll go through to own something you wont really use outside of a club anyway. probably isnt worth it.

go to the range instead

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2011 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by onewhoseeks View Post
    sounds to me like you should just go to a shooting range pay your fee and go nuts. the headache youll go through to own something you wont really use outside of a club anyway. probably isnt worth it.

go to the range instead
    The range near you might not have guns available for rent. Or, much like the RA Center, they might not be what you would call quality pieces, on account of being older than dirt and used hard since forever.
    You cannot customize a range gun.
    You cannot dry fire at home with a range gun.
    You cannot go to other ranges.
    You would not want to compete with a loaner.
    You’ll have a hard time getting to the range to borrow a gun during the zombocalypse.

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 5:01am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't Canada's firearms storage laws make dry firing at home effectively a crime?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    I know a kid that was at Dawson, it was weird seeing him on the footage running with the Police out of the building on TV. He got on with life, but saw things that he doesn't like to talk about that often.

Regarding Laval Cops (non swat) coming to my city Longueuil/Brossard for Basil...that was utter stupidity. They had no business doing that.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...535e6e&k=77394

City people seem to over react in Canada over guns in the house.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...cmpid=nl-news1

When my grandfather had a heart attack, the Paramedics came saw his gun rack, called the police. Even though my cousin is RCMP, he was not able to get all of them released.
    WTF, do they call the police if they see a steak knife or chainsaw in the house?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2011 9:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Don't Canada's firearms storage laws make dry firing at home effectively a crime?
    No. You may not load it at home, and it must be stored to legal standards when not in use; but you can take it out to "use it" at home (clean it, look at it, dry fire it, show your friends, etc).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FAC ( Firearms Acquisition Certificate ) application form asks :
    Have you ever been convicted of assault or other crime of violence or been banned from owning weapons or explosives ?
    I don't know for certain that if you answer ' Yes' - you will get denied. But just having to answer the question has been enough to keep me from applying. I have a couple of assault convictions from waaay back.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 11:33am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Federal Long gun registry will be scrapped and all documents destroyed.
    Might be a loosening up on the requirements.
    Except of course in Quebec, where they really want control, and have petitioned to be able to salvage information from the Federal gun registry.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast