Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    217
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is an advert in my local leisure centre that claims that Aikido will allow you to defend yourself from multiple attackers.

    Now I know that Martial arts aren't really regulated so they don't have to back up their own belief in a system or art, but advertising is regulated.

    Any martial art that uses outlandish claims to drum up business should have to prove them or stop claiming them in advertising.

    Edit: but suing a school because you got yourself an ass kicking is just stupid.

  2. #22
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by philmgriffin View Post
    but advertising is regulated.
    Yes and no.

    You missed my comment of "Results May Vary?" That's why supplements, magnetic bracelets, cars, etc etc etc have that little DISCLAIMER at the bottom.

    Yes it is regulated no it wouldn't stop the claims.

    Before you advance to the next argument, how many posts have you read with the caveat "but we aren't skilled enough?" The defense has already been built.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    217
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes and no. You missed my comment of "Results May Vary?"
    fair point, you're right I did miss that.
    I would still like to see schools that make some of these outlandish claims forced to put large legal disclaimers at the bottom of the advert though.

    Something like Warning this is not a substitute for live full contact training, or learning Kung Fu will not enable you to Re-enact scenes from Iron Monkey

  4. #24
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also too many examples of people like Alex Gong: highly trained, above average martial artists getting injured/killed in street violence. There's just too many variables, and in the blink of an eye very bad things can happen. A law like that would have to assume that martial artists are supermen, and there's too much evidence that that's not true.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE (orig from Boston area)
    Posts
    384
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoMA10 View Post
    In the TMA vs MMA arguments,a lot of TMA protectionist, used the arguement that TMA,may not be effective in the ring,but their practioner could defend themselves against the average attactker in the street even though there is eveidence to the contrary. In another thread a poster mention a female HKD black belt being beaten and raped"" if this student could prove by controlled testing, that the majority of the advanced students,could not defend themselves against an average attacker: should that school have to pay money
    and have their license revoked.

    In America if you sell a faulty product you can be sued whether if its a bad drug. A gun that is faulty that goes off when it shouldnt etc etc.

    cant the same concept be applied to martial arts.

    Oh, this part of the horse corpse looks relatively unbeaten so far :

    At best the raped/beaten student could sue for a refund provided the student could prove he/she acted in accordance with their training. Unless the attack was well documented (on video from multiple angles w/good resolution etc) the school could just say their methods are sound but the student failed to follow the training.

    Police brutality cases get decided that way. No matter what the cop does as long as he can prove "I did it the way I was shown in training" he skates. The student would have the same burden "I used teh d34dly but got raped anyway"

  6. #26
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think such trials should be decided thusly:

    The injured party, after given sufficient time to heal, may challenge their former instructor. The training time disparity will be adjusted by giving the student a mouthpiece, a cup and a standard police nightstick. After an RBSD battle in the courtroom, the winner is awarded the ruling.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoMA10 View Post
    if the FDA is conducting clinical trials for a new cancer drug,
    and the drug only works 20% of the time. The FDA will not approve the drug for
    market and any doctor caught prescribing the drug will be illegal.
    Actually, if it is effective in 20% of patients, and placebo is effective in 5%, they will approve it.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    Is this a serious question? What happens when an mmaer gets his/her ass beat or raped?
    I imagine the guard would exacerbate the situation.

    HEEEEEEY-O!

    Thank you. I'll be here all night.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Law schools lie? Say it ain't so!

    Well if these class action cases below gain momentum who can say that TMA schools cannot be next?

    Today's fine young legal cannibals are turning on their teaching masters because the promised pot of gold is just a pile of education debt for most - my heart is like an alligator.

    Graduates accuse law schools of scamming students

    http://news.yahoo.com/graduates-accu...021529890.html

    Ain't Supply & Demand a bitch?

  10. #30
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but they'd have to be held legally responsible.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO