Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 9:07pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

(I'm on the left)

Traveling about an hour, I visited her dojo about a month ago. She's frail, but for a 98 year old, she's in pretty good shape. I had to help her out of the car to walk; holding her hands, I felt like I was touching tangible history, another era. Incredible.

She's not in condition to lead classes personally, but she still sits on a chair on the mat with a heater, overseeing the small, quaint Soku Joshi dojo there. Her pool is aging, though, the facilities small, and there's a lack of new blood. I fear that when she passes, Soku Joshi will as well.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 11:08pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing but respect for her. Some of you who hung around rec.martial-arts may remember Karen Nagai - she is a student of Fukuda-sensei and I always remember the glowing terms she used to describe her.

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 1:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post

(I'm on the left)

Traveling about an hour, I visited her dojo about a month ago. She's frail, but for a 98 year old, she's in pretty good shape. I had to help her out of the car to walk; holding her hands, I felt like I was touching tangible history, another era. Incredible.

She's not in condition to lead classes personally, but she still sits on a chair on the mat with a heater, overseeing the small, quaint Soku Joshi dojo there. Her pool is aging, though, the facilities small, and there's a lack of new blood. I fear that when she passes, Soku Joshi will as well.
    My Emphasis.

That would be tragic. One would hope that it will continue - and as a Testament to her Memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soku Joshi struggles to keep afloat, forced to share their space with an Aikido dojo. I was practically appalled; maybe she doesn't want a large dojo with lots of practitioners (unlikely), but a Judoka of her stature should have her own damn Judo dojo! As it is, their space is barely 1.5 competition rings in size.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soku Joshi struggles to keep afloat, forced to share their space with an Aikido dojo. I was practically appalled; maybe she doesn't want a large dojo with lots of practitioners (unlikely), but a Judoka of her stature should have her own damn Judo dojo! As it is, their space is barely 1.5 competition rings in size.
    Unfortunately, many traditional schools just can't keep pace with the highly commercialized gyms that emblazon MMA in their front window and advertise like crazy. Heavy advertising, etc, just wasn't the way things were done years ago and many fine traditional schools of all types are hurting. Heck, I have suggested judo for some kids and had their parents say things to me like oh, I want to put my son in something more well rounded than a judo.

That said, what an honor to have trained under her, that is a memory that will stay with you always.

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 5:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a point I've been a little confused about does Fukuda speak English? As all the interviews I've seen with her she's spoken Japanese and I thought it was odd that someone could have lived in the US for so long and not learnt English.

I would imagine there are two critical factors behind this -

They don't have a website or facebook page. So people who might want to practice Judo there can't find out what times practice are and as most people are lazy they will opt to go to the club which publishes their practice times rather than spend time faffing about trying to ferret out practice times.

It is my understanding that its a women only Judo club and as women are generally less inclined to take up martial arts then men the club will always be small.

---------------
    Just for general interest some pictures of Fukuda sensei

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Those pics of you?

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 4:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm white and in my 20s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I'm white and in my 20s.
    You mentioned Prof. Carl De Cree before in this thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=105751&page=6 referencing CK on Judo Forum, I have tried to google him and Karim Ochosi with little success...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    You mentioned Prof. Carl De Cree before in this thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=105751&page=6 referencing CK on Judo Forum, I have tried to google him and Karim Ochosi with little success...
    Same guy.

What is the belt he's wearing?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast