My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    I can't give a detailed sypnopsis of anything as I am still a noob.

Personal ancedotes? Yessir. Yessir, I can do that for you.

I was training at a MMA gym and loving the hell out of BJJ, anywho BJJ class was wrapping up and the strikers were filing in getting ready to take the mats. The Striking coach who was a really nice guy and had invited me to train with his guys before saw me packing up and asked again if I wanted to stay and get my ass kicked by his guys.

Beak: Aw, I mean I want to but I just friggin tried and blahblahblah....
    Coach: Yeah, I like that ground stuff but if you can't stand up with a guy don't expect to be able to take him down.
    Beak: o_o--->0_0

And it was true I could get some of his guys down but not many and not often. The ones I could take down I took down because I was bigger than them. I had trained to take a guy down but it was always a quick lesson then back to jits. I hadn't drilled it enough to be able to rely on it.

A month or two later I started Judo. Still have trouble with the takedowns, throws and sweeps but its bound to kick in eventually. Right? Right? Guys. Come on you guys.

Right?

I have an average sized penis.
    You have several years to go, so keep practicing. Although Judo is widely available, cheap, and effective, as a penis enlarger it works about as well as everything else.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    Whoa, whoa whoa... if I recall correctly I put an lol at the end of my last post and thus there can't be any recriminations of a serious nature lest the prosecutor look faggoty. That is if the last one was directed at me.

All joking aside. For me this thread was never about nut riding omega or sambo. Rather it was a weak attempt to get a persons philisophical views of that art as it compares to other arts.

I have limited experience in bjj, yet even I can see glaring faults in the art. I train it anyways because it is what is available to me. Every now and then I get judoka cross training and I pick their brain to see what faults they see in judo.

Bottom line? It would be nice to see some frank assesments of the strengths and weaknesses of the grappling arts from the pro's invoved in those arts. I guess it's just too much to ask that those with all the experience offer up those kind of views without it devolving into some artform penis measuring contest.

I would love to read a detailed synopsis of what each art offered and what the philisophical differences are. I would like to see how the various rule sets affect the development of grappling arts. But people are more concerned with cock size I guess.
    I suggest you get some good books on Judo and Sambo, do a little Internet research regarding Judo and Sambo, and see what you come up with, rather than asking for someone to do all the work for you. You will find it much more edifying in the long run.

Also, there is plenty of good Judo in San Diego area, so you don't need to wish around for a Sambo instructor.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo has catchy dance music:

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To OP:

A lot of it does depend on the instructor, sub-style of SAMBO (combat, sport, self defense, freestyle), school, and various other things. Traditionally SAMBO has an emphasis on getting a takedown/throw and quickly transitioning to a submission. It also has a greater emphasis on leg locks then Judo and BJJ (generally) but also tends to lack many chokes.

Like I said, depends on the school and sub-style. I think most SAMBO practitioners on this site cross-train in other grappling arts, so you may not get a straight answer to your questions.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 2:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Unfair including me, I've done Judo too. I think sambosteve is the only pure samboist here.
    If by pure you mean no judo training, then yes. But otherwise no. I have trained or cross trained lots of stuff.

Regarding the jacket/no jacket issue, it depends on the coach or club. Percentage of no jacket is higher here i think. I have trained at five different facilities in russia and each had a different flavor. But, definitely more jacket oriented in all of them...with some small exception.

There is no grappling circuit in Russia like we have here. My feeling is that a martial art will and should be influenced by the culture/evironment it is in. In the US, UK, etc, we compete and train along much more diverse groups than in Russia. So, sambo outside of Russia will have some different qualities.

My coach runs things 50/50 jacket/no jacket. My club is the same. But, i will say that i dont think you are a true sambo man if you dont have knowledge of the jacket.

Regarding styles of sambo, to me it is all just sambo. Everything else is an intent or rule set...how you want to train and for what set of rules you may train for. It was not until a few years ago (I think Sonnon was to blame?) that the whole "special" or "self defense" styles of sambo appeared on wikipedia. i call BS on this. I think it is all just over analysis. It is all sambo...combat sambo originally...everything was was born of that and evolved from that. I have never heard anyone in Russia call it anything but sambo, sport sambo or combat sambo. More often, just sambo.

I wont compare to judo for several reasons...
    1) I think such comparisons are usually wasted time
    2) I agree that person and training method is more important than style
    3) I never trained judo past some minor cross training.

I will say that i personally love the open, movememt based, experimental, and non formal nature of sambo training. I have never felt more at home or prospered as much with any other style's approach.

P.s. sorry for any wierd typos...i am on my droid ;)
    Last edited by sambosteve; 8/11/2011 2:27am at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 4:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if I understand correctly, there's only SAMBO, which comes nowadays in three rulesets: combat, sport and freestyle.
    Here in the US and Europe there's also an emphesis on "no-kurtka", but that's only because there are a lot of SubGrapp competitions here.

"special" and "self-defense" are not seperated styles of SAMBO or even exists, but are just forms that are distilled from Combat SAMBO to fit a certain purpose.

So are wristlocks and small joint manipulations a part of SAMBO? I read about the Aikido-like SAMOZ, that got incorporated early on into SAMBO, but from what I can see of the competitions, it looks like small joint/wristlocks is not allowed (which figures, since it's dangerous).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 9:32am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    If by pure you mean no judo training, then yes. But otherwise no. I have trained or cross trained lots of stuff.

Regarding the jacket/no jacket issue, it depends on the coach or club. Percentage of no jacket is higher here i think. I have trained at five different facilities in russia and each had a different flavor. But, definitely more jacket oriented in all of them...with some small exception.

There is no grappling circuit in Russia like we have here. My feeling is that a martial art will and should be influenced by the culture/evironment it is in. In the US, UK, etc, we compete and train along much more diverse groups than in Russia. So, sambo outside of Russia will have some different qualities.

My coach runs things 50/50 jacket/no jacket. My club is the same. But, i will say that i dont think you are a true sambo man if you dont have knowledge of the jacket.

Regarding styles of sambo, to me it is all just sambo. Everything else is an intent or rule set...how you want to train and for what set of rules you may train for. It was not until a few years ago (I think Sonnon was to blame?) that the whole "special" or "self defense" styles of sambo appeared on wikipedia. i call BS on this. I think it is all just over analysis. It is all sambo...combat sambo originally...everything was was born of that and evolved from that. I have never heard anyone in Russia call it anything but sambo, sport sambo or combat sambo. More often, just sambo.

I wont compare to judo for several reasons...
    1) I think such comparisons are usually wasted time
    2) I agree that person and training method is more important than style
    3) I never trained judo past some minor cross training.

I will say that i personally love the open, movememt based, experimental, and non formal nature of sambo training. I have never felt more at home or prospered as much with any other style's approach.

P.s. sorry for any wierd typos...i am on my droid ;)
    What Steve said.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2011 9:34am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    So if I understand correctly, there's only SAMBO, which comes nowadays in three rulesets: combat, sport and freestyle.
    Here in the US and Europe there's also an emphesis on "no-kurtka", but that's only because there are a lot of SubGrapp competitions here.

"special" and "self-defense" are not seperated styles of SAMBO or even exists, but are just forms that are distilled from Combat SAMBO to fit a certain purpose.

So are wristlocks and small joint manipulations a part of SAMBO? I read about the Aikido-like SAMOZ, that got incorporated early on into SAMBO, but from what I can see of the competitions, it looks like small joint/wristlocks is not allowed (which figures, since it's dangerous).
    Wristlocks are in SAMBO. They are not allowed in sport sambo and are impractical but I believe allowed in Combat. Ask Steve he'd know better.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast