Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're too well trained to need a net, but I though I was going to need a baseball bat in the grocery store!

You gonna explain how the tsurikomi changes depending relative stance? LOL, probably need to save that for another one in advanced techniques.

If you teach long enough, you get to where you remember the important details, like lowering your weight while turning, and build them into your drill progressions. It's so important to me I have students doing drills for that before they do tsurikomi.

But then I don't teach tsurikomi explicitly to beginners, or even talk much if at all about kuzushi. That helps avoid the whole "compartmentalization" issue that is rampant wherever you look.

It takes a lot of experience and skill to be able to compartmentalize/break down techniques separately and then put them together without thinking about it cognitively. But you have to be able to do it to teach effectively, the trick is to not expose the students to it directly, but in the form of progressive drills.

I think part of the problem is that teachers forget that and overwhelm students with details. I know I still do that sometimes, it's more of an show off ego thing at times.

For yourself, try doing tsrikomi from equal grips, grips set, posture set and see what you discover, if you haven't already.

And "forget kuzushi", lol, right on, man, right on. Just do the throw correctly and it will work.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 5:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You gonna explain how the tsurikomi changes depending relative stance? LOL, probably need to save that for another one in advanced techniques.
    Lol, definitely not!

If you teach long enough, you get to where you remember the important details, like lowering your weight while turning, and build them into your drill progressions. It's so important to me I have students doing drills for that before they do tsurikomi.
    Yeh I'm still feeling my way through the whole coaching thing and I keep getting coaching foistered on me with no warning lately which kind of throws me off because I have so many things I need to impart and no idea how long I have to do it.

Last month in the middle of a session at a local club I got asked to demo/ teach an Okuri ashi barai off the grip where you plant your foot next to uke's foot as you grip and then step with the trailing to create impetus and sweep with the planted foot. Yeh I know... lol! I can barley do it myself and with 10 seconds/ a water breaks notice I have to teach the damned thing to a mixed ability class.

Then last week I got it sprung on me that they would like me to show some newaza control 'stuff'. I was like ermm what? What do you even want me to teach lol!

But then I don't teach tsurikomi explicitly to beginners, or even talk much if at all about kuzushi. That helps avoid the whole "compartmentalization" issue that is rampant wherever you look.
    Yeh I know its a big issue with beginners. Also good to see I''ve given you yet another new piece to add to your Judo vocab, lol.

For yourself, try doing tsrikomi from equal grips, grips set, posture set and see what you discover, if you haven't already.
    Equal grips, grips set... Lol if I have my grip set then the grips are not equal... I'm dominating that sleeve like my life depends on it!

And "forget kuzushi", lol, right on, man, right on. Just do the throw correctly and it will work.
    Who needs that kuzushi stuff anyway?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12