MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first knife fight!

Sort of. I don't know if counts if only the other guy has a knife.
    So, last Tuesday, a friend of mine is throwing a going away party at her apartment. To set the scene, her apartment is on the ground floor of a duplex.
    So we're laughing and carryin' on, when whereabouts of 11:30, a knock strikes the door. Another lad opens it, revealing an *extremely* intoxicated looking middle-aged man, haggard-faced and bleary-eyed. The man demands alcohol (I believe his words were "just gimme a beer"), when the same lad who opened the door tells him to leave.
    Our supplicant then proceeds to muster what emotion he has in him, flipping off the lad and saying "**** you." He then proceeds to produce a steak knife from his pocket.
    The expression on his face holding the knife was not so much "I'm gonna cut you" as "what am I supposed to do with this again?". He's holding it before him, tip pointed at the ceiling, with a look in his eyes that reminded me of a dog holding a piece of food in it's mouth too big to chew, wondering what to do with it.
    Nonetheless, this cues me to initiate Jiujitsu Subroutine 431. I grab his wrist, take his back, and apply a one-armed rear naked choke with my other hand. We're now standing in the entryway of the duplex, and I inform him that he's either going to leave or I'm going to choke him unconscious and throw him on the street.
    I push him up against the front door of the entryway, which decides to take this time to jam shut. Not really wanted to release my grip on his knife-hand to fiddle with the latch, I find myself at a bit of an awkward impasse.
    At this point, the thought occurs to me "man, it sure would suck if he had another knife on him" and I switch the rear-naked grip to a half nelson. His other hand, still holding the knife, is still pinned against the door. I tell him to drop the knife a couple times, and after the second or third insistence the message seems to finally work it's way through the chemical haze, and he drops his steak knife.
    Still at the door, I switch to a full nelson, and one of my friends manages to kick the door open at last. I push him out, and tell him to never return.
    The very best part of this story, though, is that the hostess requested everyone to dress in the clothing that best represented them as a person. Thus, throughout the encounter, I was wearing a shirt of chainmail.
    See my avatar? See that guy bench pressing in chainmail? That's me, and that's the armor I was wearing during the whole knife fight.
    It wasn't really until after the encounter that the adrenaline hit, and I was like "wait, did I just fight a dude with a knife? Isn't that kind of dangerous?"
    For the record, at no point did I employ any of the traditional knife disarms (no wakegatame, no wrist return, no happy slappy silat nonsense). Just an arm drag and a couple basic BJJ/wrestling holds. Also, for the record, I used to have a group of friends who I did scenario-based training with, including knife vs no-knife sparring. I attest that training, along with many years of layered back-taking instincts, to my own victory/safety in this encounter.
    I find it hilarious that the gentleman who decides to pull this stunt of threatening young folk for alcohol at knife point does so to one not only armed with jiujitsu, but is also wearing armor at the time. He never had chance to strike a blow with the knife (thank goodness), so I didn't actually get a chance to test the steak knife resistance of my homemade chain. If I ever do conduct such a test, I think I'll do so under safer conditions.
    So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 10:58pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait wait... What? You made your own chain mail? How'd you do it, how long did it take you, and out of what?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 11:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't know that? ****, this is what happens when I stop posting and de-railing every thread to be about myself.
    I do indeed make chainmail, along with other things, for fun and for profit. The shirt I was wearing was 14 gauge galvanized steel, and it took me about fifty hours across six months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the new kid, so no, I was caught completely unaware. My trash can is galvanized steel... that doesn't seem like an optimal choice for armor. Then again, that's only fact about galvanized steel I know. That they make trash cans out of it I mean...

I picture in my head croshay(sp?) with little steel strips. How do you actually make that ****?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 11:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patiently. Once you have the rings made, you weave them together by opening and closing them with pliers, one or two at a time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 months seems awefully long to spread out 50 hours.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a chainmail shirt that one of my old students made, and it is indeed steak knife proof. We tried some attacks with a butter knife and worked up from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 1:15am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your avatar, are you bench pressing plastic gray weight?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, glad you were wearing chain mail, Gimli would be proud! :)

Second, I believe you demonstrated FAR too much chivalry kind Sir. Aside from slamming the front door in this particular drunken retards face and calling the police, I believe that if choosing to engage him you should have immediately gone with an all-out Right Cross to the Adam's Apple or some such dastardly and perhaps deadly deed.

Because an aggressive bastard with a knife, drunken and old or not, whether you're wearing Mithril chain mail or not, should not be fucked around with. Don't ever risk the possibility, however remote, of living with a motherfucking colostomy bag just because you didn't want to choke unconscious or break the limbs of a drunken aggressive ****.

Oh, and well played Sir. :)
    Last edited by The Deliverator; 8/26/2011 1:24am at . Reason: spellingz

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 2:23am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. McClaw, I love you.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast