Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 10:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, O Goshi isn't that hard to do. I do not note any particular difficulty the way I teach it. I think what often happens is that it is introduced too soon without progression from more basic skills.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:29am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BKR and Judoka UK thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply.

I am the tallest guy in my gym. The taller instructor hardly ever comes anymore and the tall 2nd dan has left due to a heart problem, which is a shame because i was making alot of progress working with him. He used the HCG properly as judoka uk described and had a good competition record, i belive in his younger years he was quite well known for fighting in police and armed forces judo comps.

I like ashi waza and its a great set of waza but i dont want that to be my only judo. Im never going to win loads of medals lets face it im a 24 year old beginner so the olny thing i have is to try and strive to do good judo. Im developing my osoto gari, sasae tsurikomi ashi and o uchi gari and making slow steady progress which im happy with but i want a decent forward throw ( i know that STA is a forward throw but its ashi waza) a big flashy, 101 ippon dvd worthy throw!

Ive sent a few emails to some local clubs in regards to getting a few more sessions in a week, hopefully there will be a more varied array of body types aswell for me to train with.

Ill take your advice BKR aswell and focus on getting lower and using proper form with my hip throws. Its going to be fustrating but hopfully worth the effort in the end.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries mate.

Well I only throw regularly in randori with 6 or 7 throws and all but one of them - Tai otoshi - is an ashiwaza. And I've only ever scored in competition with ashiwaza and osaekomiwaza.

To be honest you could do a lot worse than being an ashiwaza man.

Although I know what you mean about wanting that big flashy forward throw, for me I found Uchimata and Tai otoshi although the moments when they are truly big and flashy are rare.

Get doing those tsurikomi drills from the other thread and your Harai goshi will come and you'll start finding that other forward throws suddenly start working for you as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    O Goshi offers a lot of control with your hand around uke waist so you can focus on getting into the correct position without the complexity of the tsurite hand getting in the way. You still use the tsurite to help but it goes to the waist quickly (btw, just pull uke to you with it, don't grab the belt or judogi). Ben

OH. ive also always been doing o goshi wrong aswell. Ive always grabed the belt and used it to lift uke onto my hips. i now realise thats probably tsuri goshi and alot more diffficult.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

On the underhook, watch a video of the nage no kata to get the hand position. It's tsurite but under the arm of uke. This is an intermediate step, a progression, as you can use the underhook with your palm on uke shoulder blade to press uke to you and get proper upper body (and hence lower body) contact with uke, without the added complexity of the tsurite on the lapel. If you pay attention, you can transfer that underhook skill to your tsurite on lapel for Harai Goshi, Uchi Mata, etc.

Stop worrying about randori and learn the throw(s).

Ben
    I will give that a try aswell cheers.
    Last edited by adskibullus; 8/06/2011 11:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose being an ashiwaza man isnt so bad. At least when im old and supposed to be in the ashiwaza stage of my judo then ill be awesome.

Just a thought have you ever had any luck with ashi guruma? Seens as osoto gari is your tokui waza and Yamashita used to combine osoto gari and ashi guruma? Not that im thinking about doing it myself.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People often say that Yamashita used to combine his O soto gari with Ashi guruma and I can see how they would see it that way. However, as a guy who does a lot of O soto when I look at Yamashita doing his supposed O soto - Ashi guruma combos all I see if a man doing a ken ken O soto gari.

If you get a copy of his book 'The Fighting Spirit of Judo' he goes into all his competition techniques including Uki waza and Sukui nage. I know what you're thinking when did Yamashita ever do Sukui nage, well I can tell you, May 1979 in the Tokyo Student championships against Takahashi.

Anyway the point being that in Yamashita's book where he explains all his competition techniques he makes no mention of Ashi guruma and there's no entry on it. Also he has an exceptionally detailed contest record that recalls all of his winning techniques, Ashi guruma is never listed.

I think this adds credence to my belief that Yamashita doesn't do an O soto - Ashi guruma combo, but people are entitled to believe what they want...

Anyway.

No I've never had any luck with Ashi guruma in demoing or in randori, I'm terrible at all the Kuruma-waza, although my Ashi guruma isn't quite as bad as my O guruma.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 1:26pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koshi guruma is one of my throws
    if I follow my victim down (landing heavily on thier chest) i am pretty much in kesa getame

WIN

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 9:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    BKR and Judoka UK thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply.

I am the tallest guy in my gym. The taller instructor hardly ever comes anymore and the tall 2nd dan has left due to a heart problem, which is a shame because i was making alot of progress working with him. He used the HCG properly as judoka uk described and had a good competition record, i belive in his younger years he was quite well known for fighting in police and armed forces judo comps.

I like ashi waza and its a great set of waza but i dont want that to be my only judo. Im never going to win loads of medals lets face it im a 24 year old beginner so the olny thing i have is to try and strive to do good judo. Im developing my osoto gari, sasae tsurikomi ashi and o uchi gari and making slow steady progress which im happy with but i want a decent forward throw ( i know that STA is a forward throw but its ashi waza) a big flashy, 101 ippon dvd worthy throw!

Ive sent a few emails to some local clubs in regards to getting a few more sessions in a week, hopefully there will be a more varied array of body types aswell for me to train with.

Ill take your advice BKR aswell and focus on getting lower and using proper form with my hip throws. Its going to be fustrating but hopfully worth the effort in the end.
    Give it a shot, but without someone to correct you it will probably be a long haul. There is nothing wrong with being good at ashi waza, in fact, despite the truism that Judo is known for it's ashi waza, most judoka are not that good at them.

You have a good attitude, and if you can find a club with some taller judoka, that would be great. More good practice always helps.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 9:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    OH. ive also always been doing o goshi wrong aswell. Ive always grabed the belt and used it to lift uke onto my hips. i now realise thats probably tsuri goshi and alot more diffficult.

I will give that a try aswell cheers.
    Yeah, grabbing the belt and pulling up is Tsuri Goshi. I wouldn't say it's a harder throw, probably easier in a lot of ways. The lack of grabbing in O Goshi really focuses your attention on getting correct position and contact with uke. Grabbing the belt is sort of a short cut.

I can see why you would do that, though (grab the belt) being much taller. Grabbing the belt takes the place of the tsurite on the lapel, in this case.

Ben

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 9:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    People often say that Yamashita used to combine his O soto gari with Ashi guruma and I can see how they would see it that way. However, as a guy who does a lot of O soto when I look at Yamashita doing his supposed O soto - Ashi guruma combos all I see if a man doing a ken ken O soto gari.

If you get a copy of his book 'The Fighting Spirit of Judo' he goes into all his competition techniques including Uki waza and Sukui nage. I know what you're thinking when did Yamashita ever do Sukui nage, well I can tell you, May 1979 in the Tokyo Student championships against Takahashi.

Anyway the point being that in Yamashita's book where he explains all his competition techniques he makes no mention of Ashi guruma and there's no entry on it. Also he has an exceptionally detailed contest record that recalls all of his winning techniques, Ashi guruma is never listed.

I think this adds credence to my belief that Yamashita doesn't do an O soto - Ashi guruma combo, but people are entitled to believe what they want...

Anyway.

No I've never had any luck with Ashi guruma in demoing or in randori, I'm terrible at all the Kuruma-waza, although my Ashi guruma isn't quite as bad as my O guruma.
    Ashi Guruma is a fucking hard throw to do at all, let alone well, as a demo forget about shiai. Not impossible, but whenever Iv'e pulled it off in randori, it was under very specific conditions-angles, movement, etc, almost by accident.

Ben
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast