Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes I have thought about this

Hi,

I am a complete beginner but looking to start a martial art but I don't know which one. I have thought about what I want so maybe some of you would be kind enough to help me out with suggestions that might suit me, my frame, abilities and desired characteristics in a martial art. I am in North London so there is lots available. The more I google, the more confused I become...

ME:
    I'm 30, female, but fairly strong for a girl. Currently 125lb and 5ft 5 inches though I'm trying to lose a little extra flab and around 10lb

I have a good centre of balance despite one weak ankle (I broke it a few years back and it just isn't the same)

I have good stamina (I can not sprint to save my life but am good at long distances - I can power-walk for miles)

I have fairly long limbs, big hands and feet and quite quick reaction times

I smoke but am reasonably fit otherwise

WHAT I would like in a martial art
    :

I am not looking to become a pro fighter, but would like to be able to kick the arses of my non-trained flatmates (male). Increased ability to defend myself if a real-life situation were to occur (I am female so it's not likely to be a street fight, more likely being grabbed or mugged).

I won't lie - I also want some impressive-looking moves ideally.

Really after a good mixture of striking, kicks, throws and grappling.

Something which relies on a little philosophy and values such as serenity, respect etc. Will teach me discipline

Will give me a fairly good workout as I refuse to become a jogger or gym-bunny.

Is accessible and taught by nice, friendly people

Has alive training where I will get a few bruises and a bit sweaty, but not all battered up. I don't need to break any more bones.

Is fun and will make me feel like I am achieving something by practising it

So far Shorinji Kempo looks interesting. A friend recommended Ju-jitsu. Also on my radar are Wing Chun and Wu shu kwan.

I will get down to a few classes to check them out but I want to make sure I have a few decent things to look into and make sure I'm not missing anything out - which is where your expertise comes in...

Thanks,
    K

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Welcome to Bullshido, Kim.

First thing: if you let us know where you're at, locals may be able to recommend schools near you.
    If you're looking for a combination of things, look into local MMA places, or find and/or crosstrain in Judo, BJJ, boxing, kickboxing, karate or, and I'm hesitant to add, TKD. Depending on the schools, of course, look for places that spar, allow you to cross train and are flexible with you. Make sure that they don't make over the top claims, offer realistic goals and ideas and don't charge you for every single thing. Ask questions, go to try out classes and learn as much as you can about the instructors, thier experience and thier teaching methods.
    If it sounds to good to be true? Probably is.

As for disipline? That's all you, babe. No-one can magically become disciplined by turning up three times a week at classes. What you put in you get out. If you're looking to improve your movitation and attitude, start by making yourself a realitic plan and goals and sticking to it.

MA is good for fitness, but may not provide a well rounded regime. Many places offer fitness planning or classes, which is awesome. But if you can't get to the dojo all the time, having a secondary workout plan is a good idea. Whether it's at home or in the gym doesn't really matter.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    Getting less fat
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido.

You are ahead of the curve in wanting to find alive training, good for you. Combat sports are going to be good for what you want, a good work out and realistic self defense training.

Judo is an awesome choice, really cool throws. Hitting people with the planet is fun.

BJJ is good as well, great grappling. You will learn how to deal with someone who is already grabbing you.

Muay Thai is a great striking art, it also has a strong in close clinch game.

Kempo, and wing chung are frequently not good choices, though there are some schools that train in an alive fashion. I suspect the same is true of Wu shu kwan.

Once again, welcome to bullshido, and good luck finding a good school.

bombom

Style
    Getting less fat
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, Syberia posted a much better response before I did.
    Last edited by bombom; 5/25/2011 8:41am at . Reason: I am a dumb ass.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Best upload a picture of you, so we can assess better.

2. Muay Thai is what you're looking for,
    or probably a sport called San Da.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

Thanks for the info so far and the welcome.

Syberia, I'm in Finsbury Park, North London - there is a jujitsu school in Archway that I was thinking of checking out. Anyone know about this? I hear a lot of good things about MMA but I think it can be fairly expensive and I am pretty skinted at the moment. (another reason the non-profit shorinji kempo style was attractive to me). I agree with your comments on discipline :)

BomBom thanks for your comments - seems there are lots of judo fans on here. Yeah its a shame about the lack of 'proper' sparring and realistic force in many WC schools etc, as the art itself really attracts me.

Hiro, I know nothing about San Da at all, sv I'll have a look into it. I struggled to find any photos which would show you my frame in which I'm not drunk or are unpublishable! Here are a couple (still a bit drunk in one!) I stopped drinking this year but no-one takes photos of non-drunk people.

Thanks for all your help so far,
    K x

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    1. Best upload a picture of you, so we can assess better.

2. Muay Thai is what you're looking for,
    or probably a sport called San Da.
    I cant believe she actually fell for that.

Anyway, welcome to bullshido, and thanks for being one of the small percentage of our already small percentage of female posters that has entrusted us with your pictures.

a quick googlemaps search finds a lot of chun, kung fu, and aikido, one booj and one capoeira school.

But I saw a trad jj school http://www.archwayjitsu.com/trainingtimes.htm

and a couple of mma/kickboxing schools. I would stay away from the school touting itself to teach "SAS" combat arts

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to gain some usable skills then Shorinji Kempo is unlikely to provide them as Kempo is 9/10 a load of rubbish. The same applies for most 'Jujitsu' clubs, although not to Brazilian Jiujitsu a.k.a BJJ.

How far are you willing to travel, because if you're willing to go a few tube stops then you're absolutely spoilt for choice in London.

If you want all rounded - striking and grappling, but can't afford MMA then there is Shidokan Karate in London:
    http://www.shidokan.org.uk/Dojos.html

Shidokan looks like this:

If being punched in the face isn't your thing, but you still want something that can teach usable skills, from a self-defence situation gives you skills to get away from someone grabbing you and is cheap -Judo.

The Aston Martin of Judo clubs in London is the Budokwai, if you want to see proper Judo. That's the place. It is a little more expensive than other Judo clubs, though.
    http://www.budokwai.co.uk/

A full list of clubs in London can be found here:
    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php

Although judging by the photo on the club website its unlikely you'll get a good workout at the one in Finsbury.

Judo looks like this:

Shidokan and Judo are both Japanese so come with a little bit of philosophy behind them, but they won't try and turn you into a monk.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley View Post
    I hear a lot of good things about MMA but I think it can be fairly expensive and I am pretty skinted at the moment. (another reason the non-profit shorinji kempo style was attractive to me). I agree with your comments on discipline :)

BomBom thanks for your comments - seems there are lots of judo fans on here. Yeah its a shame about the lack of 'proper' sparring and realistic force in many WC schools etc, as the art itself really attracts me.
    While I was in Judo, I paid $30 a month which, according to Google, is about 18.4 pounds. Most Judo schools don't operate for profit. If that's affordable, I'd suggest it. Although it doesn't have the striking you would be looking for, it can be very useful for helping lose the 10 lbs plus being more comfortable in a defense situation.

Some schools might have both a Judo and a striking art package. I'm not familiar with schools in London, so I'm afraid I can't help but keep an eye out.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    Youtube-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SANDA:

San-da/San Shou has the kick-punch-throw.

Also take a look at the link in my sig.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last