Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:04am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Y'know, I do MMA and it has strikes, it's very different...so...

:staredad:

I am totally talking about the guy who did MMA for 3-6 months, walks in to bjj class (some of them don't even take the class and jump right into the open mat time), acting all tough (sometimes without even removing mma gloves), picking people to roll, get his ass handed to him and then say:
    "Hey, by the way, I train MMA and it has punches and kicks inside, it's totally a different game...so..." and leaves it blank...
    as in:
    "Bro, don't think you are tougher than me, cuz i do mma, if we did an mma sparring with you, since that you only train in bjj(source unknown) and i also mastered the other things, i would kick your ass"

Actually this doesn't only happen in rolling.

I've seen similar things happen to my friends, who are competitive MT guys.

The guys come in and want to spar MT and when they do, they first start to get their ass kicked and then they either resort to "half-assed attempts to take downs which are mostly unsuccesful" or just try to convince the MT guy after the sparring like:
    "Bro, I normally do MMA and it has grappling, it's a different game, you know, you do these MT stuff but in MMA we just take you down etc."

Dude...

- As a side note...most of the MMA competitors or teachers I've trained with (or saw training with a guy skilled in another martial art) are often very modest and they try to act humble, even trying to learn something from the people they have just trained with.

But these 6 month mma guys often have this attitude (or it's just my luck)

If there are any other guys just started to train in MMA around here, it is very good that you train something very fun and very useful, i congratulate you. Hope you can all be very successful guys in future or at least keep having fun doing it.

But don't think you know everything or don't give stupid excuses after you've lost a spar.

Training MMA doesn't make you a MASTER-OF-ALL, especially not in 6 months!

It's just annoying.

TL, DR

If you did just 6 months of MMA and get your ass kicked in a sparring session to a person who is of higher level in that martial art, just shut up.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't come up with a reason to why you REALLY would have won when you get tapped out, you're just not being imaginative enough.

On a serious note, I see the same thing too. The dude may as well be claiming that he is better at cake decorating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:20am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why boxing is great for noobs: "Oh damn, it's been 6 months and I still suck at jabbing."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    That's why boxing is great for noobs: "Oh damn, it's been 6 months and I still suck at jabbing."
    Sure, BJJ also has guys who train for maybe a year but still can say:
    "man my guard passes still suck!"

Well, even I think I suck in many different points.

The problem is, while you are training in your boxing gym, a guys comes in with 6 months MMA experience, spars with you with boxing rules and when he gets his ass kicked in sparring he quickly feels like he has to add:
    "Hey, by the way, I do MMA and it has grappling and stuff, if this happens in MMA "we" just take him down and mount and you know MMA also has a lot of submissions and all. Oh also this kind of stance doesn't really work in MMA, when we were sparring today yeah it is good but if you do it in MMA I can do this blah blah blah"

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bro, I totally would've knocked you out with that one looping haymaker I happened to land, if we were wearing MMA gloves. Chuck Liddel does crazy punches like that to knock fools out, homie!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another quote from a guy who was doing "mma" before who was taking BJJ classes(and sucked at it SO bad, he was everybody's tap-doll, simply because he wouldn't listen to class, refuse using the techniques taught by instructor etc.) then suddenly stopped after a year of training:
    my friend - Dude, you don't take BJJ classes anymore?
    THEGUY - Well, I kinda "finished" learning grappling at the moment, so now I focus on my striking.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 2:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bro, I normally do MT and it has pushkicks so... Yeah, it's a totally different game.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely there's the option of holding some sort of unified rules open mat with him.

But of course then there would be the inevitable,

"Well bro this is sort of a weird lunar cycle you know? The way the gravity is sort of helps someone with your build man. If we were sparring in Sicily I'd have handed you your ass, so..."

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 5:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are only two ways to deal with these people.

1. Hurt them.

2. Just stop caring about the stupidity of retards.

Usually the latter is best.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    option 3 - go take the MMA class and light people up when they try takedowns. Thats what I do. Everytime I maul someone on the ground in my white belt MMA shirt I get to wink and remind them I'm a purple belt in BJJ.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast