Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:06pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand/wrist problems...could use advice

Before everyone jumps on me, I did use the search function, found some stuff, but decided that I wanted to ask about my specific situation and get input from current, active posters.

Here's the deal: Up until last September, my martial arts experiences consisted of 4 years of Aikijutsu/JJJ in a fairly compliant setting. I never really sustained any injuries, I became pretty good at taking falls and being thrown and my wrists became very flexible.

Last September, I started Kyokushin (thanks Bullshido!), exchanging punches and kicks and training much, much harder. I love it. I love it so much that in the last 3 months, I've also joined a local MMA gym so that I could add boxing/kickboxing classes, sparring with head shots and also just started doing BJJ 1-2 times per week (schedule allowing).

I noticed, when I was just doing Kyokushin, that my hands started to become more sore (duh), and I was always nursing some sort of minor injury, but it was nothing I couldn't deal with. Since I've started the kickboxing classes, however (focus mitts, heavy bag work, more sparring) my wrists and hands are becoming increasingly sore and painful. For instance, I tried to do some straight bar curls the other day, and my wrists were so tender that I couldn't perform the excercise. Also, I went to an Aikijutsu class last night (something I don't do much anymore), and the normal wrist techniques which I've been easily taking for years are suddenly very painful.

When I'm all warmed up and in the middle of a KK or Kickboxing class, my hands and wrists don't hurt too bad, but later on I'm paying the price. My Aikijustsu instructor always warned that hard style arts could cause long term damage to joints and stuff, but I always secretly thought that he may be saying that for personal reasons (not losing me to more "alive" arts)...now I have to wonder.

So, who here has dealt with this, and how have you overcame it? I'm icing my hands and wrists in the evenings, really focusing on keeping my wrists aligned and striking with my first two knuckles. I know that I need to lighten up on the heavy bag, but I fear that if this pain progresses on it's current path, I'll be left with having to take time off training, which I DON'T WANT TO DO. Any tips out there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:25pm

Style: TKD, Arnis, Catch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...my 2 cents is that you may have had weak wrists to start with and poor punching technique. Some prevention that I myself have always done, is wrist stretching exercises before class and knuckle pushups whenever you work out.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:35pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope you know how to wrap your wrist properly, ask a boxer there. You also may developed an inflammation, and better consult a doctor (he may tell you to take some time off and you may want to listen!).

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any time you start a new type of training that your body isn't used to there are going to be new pains associated with it. The key is finding your limits and working within them. Also are you keeping your hands too lose at the heavy bag?? I have seen alot of new strikers hit heavy bags too lose and pay in the wrists. It might pay off to work low to start when striking let your hands get used to the impact before unloading full force.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Any time you start a new type of training that your body isn't used to there are going to be new pains associated with it. The key is finding your limits and working within them. Also are you keeping your hands too lose at the heavy bag?? I have seen alot of new strikers hit heavy bags too lose and pay in the wrists. It might pay off to work low to start when striking let your hands get used to the impact before unloading full force.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that I may have been trying to kill the bag too much, and have, as erezb suggested, cause some inflammation. Perhaps my punches are just stronger than my wrists. I'll lighten up and try to tighten my hands up.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think wrapping your hands/wrists for bag work would be a very smart idea, especially if you are throwing hard.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this same problem. In fact I hurt my wrist last year in KM, and apparently it hasn't healed because I recently did it again. Although I'm not a southpaw, I continually work on both sides and my left punch is way stronger than my right. I think too strong for my punches. Really I need to get a doctor to check me out; make sure its nothing serious. In the meantime, I do wrist stretches and incorporate different techniques. for example, I work on palm strikes a lot more now, which don't hurt my wrist nearly as much.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're getting severe pain doing things you used to be able to do no problem, then you might have already reached the stage where you need to take some time off - even just a week to see if things calm down a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If you're getting severe pain doing things you used to be able to do no problem, then you might have already reached the stage where you need to take some time off - even just a week to see if things calm down a bit.
    Hmm, I may have to consider that, then. Pain was pretty severe last night. I've been trying to get more training in before the Mega, cause honestly I kinda suck, but I guess it won't do any good to show up injured. Maybe I will give myself a little break on the hands. I suppose I can still go to the gym and stick to just the shadow boxing and movement exercises. My shins feel fine, so kicking is still in.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rwagg's have you ever considered that your current wrist issues may be due to undiagnosed or unrecognised injuries sustained during your Aikijitsu training.

Its my experience of Aikido and Jujitsu, which I assume Aikijitsu to be similar to, that 'badassery' and 'effectiveness' of the technique is established by how hard and fast someone can wack on the wristlock regardless off the uke taking the roll and ukemi-ing out of it. Also given how much time is spent on locking the wrist in various forms I would imagine the wrist would take a lot more stress and have a lot more potential for injury etc... from Aikdo or Jujitsu than would be the case in something like Boxing, Judo or BJJ where attacks and pressure are spread much more evenly across the body and forceful repetitions far less common on sensitive joints like the wrist.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast