Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 4:38pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Check it out before you can afford 'em in that case.
    That way you can't be tempted to impulse buy by the cute runner girl working there.
    Get fit and a gait analysis if possible. Remember different brands fit different, Nike runs a little "small" for example.
    I'm sure there are other stores around where you can compare prices etc. once you know what you are looking for. Retail stores can be a good source of knowledge, use your purchasing power with the places that shared same and had good service.

Funny thing about that site, i could access a few cheap models that are not available in Canada. One pair of Adidas was only $50.
    Well, I went and got recommended a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide 3. And I bought 'em (lololol).

So now off I go to l2run. For what it's worth I tested them a little and the pain on my feet is much less extreme than before, better technique and habit I imagine will fix up the rest.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Well, I went and got recommended a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide 3. And I bought 'em (lololol).
    Was she hot?

So now off I go to l2run. For what it's worth I tested them a little and the pain on my feet is much less extreme than before, better technique and habit I imagine will fix up the rest.
    Good luck and try to get some coaching, it really could help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Was she hot?
    No.

Good luck and try to get some coaching, it really could help.
    Hopefully my marathon buddy can show me the basic ropes, for the advanced stuff I can wait a little I guess.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 6:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're running longer distances, and on a regular base,
    be sure to apply creme or vaseline generously on your private parts,
    and be sure you get a good pair of running trousers,
    or you will risk nasty groin irritations or even injuries.

No joke.

I'm talking from experience. Don't ask.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 6:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    Taebo_Master,

Just curious, from your OP in this thread you advocate a heel-toe foot strike but endorse minimalist footwear? Wouldn't that exacerbate the problem of impact and joint pain? Don't know if I read that wrong or what.

(I usually run with a forefoot to heel landing, and wear Vibrams or Merrell minimalist shoes. I can't imagine heel striking in either)
    With a proper gait and sufficient tissue strength, the skeletal and muscular structures of the foot and ankle are fully adequate to handle the forces of walking and running, even barefoot. I endorse minimalist footwear, provided you have proper gait and aren't significantly overweight, because they permit better motion of the smaller skeletal and tissue structures within the foot. Motion (at least, proper motion) is the means to attain and maintain strength and health in the musculoskeletal system.

Also, I don't advise a heavy heel strike, it's part of a continual flowing motion that distributes the forces over a greater surface area and engages more muscles to stabilize the motion. A toe or forefoot strike uses less surface area, resulting in greater pressure per unit area. It also ultimately slows you down slightly, since the dorsiflexion of the heel must be decelerated before plantarflexion can begin to engage the next stride. That deceleration also results in greater calf muscle tension, increasing the risk of plantarfasciitis and shin splints.

If you experience pain or are uncomfortable using a heel-to-toe stride, your gait might not be as good as you think it is. You're probably experiencing too hard of a landing on the heel of the foot.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    If you're running longer distances, and on a regular base,
    be sure to apply creme or vaseline generously on your private parts,
    and be sure you get a good pair of running trousers,
    or you will risk nasty groin irritations or even injuries.

No joke.

I'm talking from experience. Don't ask.
    This is very true. Especially if you have large thighs, whether from muscle or the other thing.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 7:47pm

Style: Boxing newb, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a newbie, shouldn't I be looking to fix my own problems before I even consider buying any sort of equipment beyond the bare minimum? Isn't starting out with buying nice equipment generally considered kind of arrogant for a beginner in most sports?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wuss View Post
    As a newbie, shouldn't I be looking to fix my own problems before I even consider buying any sort of equipment beyond the bare minimum? Isn't starting out with buying nice equipment generally considered kind of arrogant for a beginner in most sports?
    Or I could learn the sport while sporting decent entry-level shoes, thus lessening my chances of injury versus running with 10$ Wal-Mart sneakers.

That's the way I look at it. 80$ shoes aren't the end of the world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 11:44pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo_Master,

Well, when I say "forefoot" landing, that's just the initial contact point. The rest of my foot touches down (heel included) a fraction of a second later. I've had a marked decrease in joint pain, and no tendon/ligament/shinsplint issues at all. Hell, my calves barely get sore anymore. :) I agree that my previous heel-striking style caused landings that were WAY too hard.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 12:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with what you're describing is inefficient mechanics. If you land on the front of the foot then touch down with the heel of the foot after, that requires at least a slight bit of backward momentum. That results in additional time and effort with each stride that takes away from overall movement efficiency. The benefit of going heel-to-toe rather than toe-to-heel is that it maintains your total forward momentum.

- The Wastrel
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast