Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo in Bergen County

Hi all, I am looking for a judo school in Bergen county. I saw a previous post that suggested Performance Judo in Fairlawn, and Tech Judo in Bergenfield. What do people think of these schools and do they have any other suggestions?

I would like to compete in Judo tournaments. What is the best way to go about that? (Fitness training, schools, actual tournaments, etc.)

I am 24 and in reasonable shape. I run a 5k every other day. I am a graduate student so I can train every day and my hours are somewhat flexible even though I do need to spend a lot of hours in school. I am highly motivated to the point of ridiculous stubbornness.

Thanks for giving some advice to a noob!

Style
    Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I did my first day at this place http://www.kokushikai.com/ and it was awesome. We started off with ukemi; she taught me side break fall, back break fall and a rolling forward break fall. After that I learned osoto-gari and seio nage. I'm not sure if seio nage is that right name for that throw. Basically you lock your right elbow into their right armpit grabbing their shoulder, and then you drop down onto your knees pulling them forward over your shoulder.

My right shoulder is a bit sore, does anyone have any tips on not messing up my shoulder? Or any tips on doing osoto gari or seio nage?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just keep going to class, you are in a very good place.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Style
    Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went to my second day of classes and did randori. It was awesome; although I got my ass kicked by a yellow belt that was smaller and weaker than me. It was a humbling experience (I wasn't able to throw him once). So far my skills at Judo, newaza -sucks, randori - sucks, and ukemi - well I don't hurt myself that much when I get owned by other judoku although I wish I had a better idea what I was doing.

During randori I was thrown and when I landed I somehow smooshed my toes into the mat. Any advice on how not to do that? Also I was trembling after randori anyone have any tips on conditioning so I can make it through two to three rounds of randori?

^Did you ever live near Carlisle, PA that is where I went to undergrad?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whooa talking about landing on you feet, lol!

Tips on O soto gari
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...soto-gari.html

Tips on Seoi nage
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=107518&page=1

Although what you learnt sounds like Seoi otoshi seeing as you went to your knees.

As Ben said just keep turning up to practice, your coach will advise when you're ready for tournaments as a general rule 6-12 months experience is usually necessary before competing, although there are always exceptions in both directions.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFree87 View Post
    I get owned by other judoku
    JudokA

Judoku sounds like a pokemon, we're not pokemon.

Although we do level up.

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And have special moves.

Style
    Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    And have special moves.
    You encounter a yellow belt. Fight!

You use osoto gari; it is not very effective.
    Yellow belt uses some technique you've never seen before. It is super effective.
    You use drop seoi nage; opponent dodges.
    Yellow belt yanks on the arm you were holding his sleeve with; you loose your balance and get thrown. It is super effective.

This is what yesterday felt like lol. I need to level up!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Although what you learnt sounds like Seoi otoshi seeing as you went to your knees.
    I asked again and they said it was drop Seoi nage; it seems a little rough on the knees.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFree87 View Post
    I asked again and they said it was drop Seoi nage; it seems a little rough on the knees.
    Its complicated and you don't need to worry about it, but they're basically the same thing.

Anyway steer clear of the drop seoi nage/ seoi otoshi. Concentrate on techniques where you remain standing during execution i.e seoi nage, o soto gari etc..

See my blog entry on picking a tokuiwaza/ favourite technique for how to structure your throw learning progression.

http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...tokuiwaza.html

Style
    Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today was awesome; I scored my first ippon!

I was doing tokuiwaza with one of the other two white belts and I tried unsuccessfully to do osoto gari (one of the two techniques I know) over and over again. After a minute or two I'm sure we looked like a pyramid, leaning on each other with our feet as far away from each other as possible. Thanks to judoka_uk's advice I realized that seoi nage might be able to capitalize on this and went for it throwing him to the mat.

After this I wasn't able to score any more ippons, but still it felt so good scoring my first ippon.

I dominated a yellow belt and a white belt in newaza. I'm aware that my Ju Jitsu is terrible, but apparently knowing that a RNC and a Triangle exist is enough to get a bunch of submissions (Legal in Judo? No one yelled at me so I figured they were).

Annoyingly I got kind of injured doing newaza. This big white belt was spazzing on me and ripped my shirt doing some choke where he grabbed my lapels. I'm not sure what he did but my knee is very stiff =( Very annoyed that I might miss Judo tomorrow. I'll see how my body feels when I wake up.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last