pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Oh, no I haven't gone to his classes but he says it's because of sparring all the time. There's no sparring in Aikido but I can create the same atmosphere, kind of.
    How would you go about creating a "sparring all the time" atmosphere at the aikido dojo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:15pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You need to go see a class because, I bet you he is doing a large amount of body-weight exercises and that include reps. Also, he must be doing a TON of non-stop sparring if that is all he does.
    I guess he must be, looks like I'm going to have to start exercising after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How would you go about creating a "sparring all the time" atmosphere at the aikido dojo?
    By training nonstop and doing a lot of jiu waza, it's not exactly sparring but it's close, right?

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:17pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to go see a class because, I bet you he is doing a large amount of body-weight exercises and that include reps.
    And, a little off-topic, I don't think conditioning should be the focus of your dojo time. Generally speaking, time in the dojo does not get you fit enough to maximize the benefit of time in the dojo, which should be spent on more technical stuff. General fitness should be on your own nickel and everyone who is serious should be doing it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well we will disagree on this point slightly because, I sort of agree and understand why it is included in classes.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:26pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mister.

(Firstly, welcome to bullshido. As an aikidoka, I'm always pleased when aikido people join.
    The reason you will take **** for it is because most aikido types who do join get butthurt, defensive, haughty, then leave still ignorant.)

I'm going to give you benefit of the doubt, and assume that the reason you don't want to do weights, or reps etc isn't because you are lazy, but because that is just fucking boring. I can see why people would choose martial arts to get fit on that basis. If so, take an art that is physically much more demanding.

I've been doing aikido 20+ years. Much of that at 3-4 times a week. Its often felt very tiring, but it has never gotten me even close to fit.

8 months after adding Muay Thai, just once a week, I am noticeably fitter. What felt like exercise during class back in my Aiki-only days seems like nothing in comparison:

I can hold my interest hitting and punching a heavy bag, much longer than I could run or bench.

I find sparring gets me out of breath quicker than anything I've ever done (combination of adrenaline, my poor breathing technique, the unrelenting pressure, constant moving etc).

Skipping rope was an absolute fucking revelation to me in terms of taxation.

you appeared to dismiss someone's comment about practicing your aikido on a sandbag. It was a superb idea though. Also, loads of basic Aikido movements could be practiced with a kettle weight.

I didn't see you say what kind of aikido you practice, but the yoshinkan syllabus has some solo forms that would probably lend themselves well to both sandbag and kettle weight.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And no! Jiyuwaza is NOT like sparring!

"To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:33pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well we will disagree on this point slightly because, I sort of agree and understand why it is included in classes.
    It's included because the bulk of people are too lazy to do it themselves. Beyond a good warm-up which is necessary for safety I'd much rather get the benefit of my sensei's instruction or the chance for actual practice than to get drilled in exercises I'm perfectly capable of doing at home.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:39pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Hi mister.

(Firstly, welcome to bullshido. As an aikidoka, I'm always pleased when aikido people join.
    The reason you will take **** for it is because most aikido types who do join get butthurt, defensive, haughty, then leave still ignorant.)

I'm going to give you benefit of the doubt, and assume that the reason you don't want to do weights, or reps etc isn't because you are lazy, but because that is just fucking boring. I can see why people would choose martial arts to get fit on that basis. If so, take an art that is physically much more demanding.

I've been doing aikido 20+ years. Much of that at 3-4 times a week. Its often felt very tiring, but it has never gotten me even close to fit.

8 months after adding Muay Thai, just once a week, I am noticeably fitter. What felt like exercise during class back in my Aiki-only days seems like nothing in comparison:

I can hold my interest hitting and punching a heavy bag, much longer than I could run or bench.

I find sparring gets me out of breath quicker than anything I've ever done (combination of adrenaline, my poor breathing technique, the unrelenting pressure, constant moving etc).

Skipping rope was an absolute fucking revelation to me in terms of taxation.

you appeared to dismiss someone's comment about practicing your aikido on a sandbag. It was a superb idea though. Also, loads of basic Aikido movements could be practiced with a kettle weight.

I didn't see you say what kind of aikido you practice, but the yoshinkan syllabus has some solo forms that would probably lend themselves well to both sandbag and kettle weight.
    Hi!

Yes I'm not against exercise or getting exhausted I said that before I just want to do it in a way that benefits me not only physically and yes, it is boring, but it looked like I was going to be told to suck it up if I said that.

Oh I thought he was joking about the sandbag thing...But no I practice Aikikai for the sole reason of nothing else being available, I haven't seen any other style of Aikido in action except in some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    And no! Jiyuwaza is NOT like sparring!
    I meant in the amount of physical activity, not even that?

Edit: I was going to pick up karate a while back but some seniors in my dojo said it would hinder my Aikido performance, what do you think of that?
    Last edited by Mister; 8/03/2011 2:44pm at .

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I meant in the amount of physical activity, not even that?
    It's tricky to describe... it may be similar in amount, but not in how taxing it is. Just the difference in intention makes it much more demanding. Those short gaps between attacks are still hard work in sparring, because they are not in any way predetermined. You can't treat it as a second to catch your breath. Being constantly under threat is exhausting.

Regarding different styles, I only raised it to see if there were already things that would be familiar, that you could use. Even basic tai sabaki, tori fune, ikkyo undo, etc could be used with additional resistance (weights)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My physical fitness has well improved since I started, but at some point about 6 months ago I feel like it had reached a standstill.

I guess it provokes you for some reason the fact that I would try to find a way to boost my fitness using Aikido and not exercises. I have no reason to insult you back I really don't feel insulted with all this childish taunting and flaunting you're doing.

..."Lil *****"?

Good job.
    It is a good job because you been consisting acting like one.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast