Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:57am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    1) You originally posted that you "...I enjoy sprinting, is that a good workout? I ask because it's usually not for very long, like 2 minutes, or 4 with some breaks in between..."

Tom replied that you are not sprinting. He is correct nobody can sprint for 2 minutes.

2)You then mention that you are attempting to use a Tabata exercise protocol. Tabata exercise protocols are quite widely misunderstood, it is not enough to run as hard as you can for the 20 seconds you have to actually be going at about 170% of VO2max If you could actually do that for 8 reps you would not be running out of puff at Aikido.
    How do I know if I'm going at 170% of VO2 max? Also, in regular exercise I don't get tired easily but doing 10 minutes of Jiu waza (continuous training) as an attacker I get tired because I get thrown and have to get up fast so my partner can get the most benefit out of his training.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You are much too easily offended to be on bullshido. You might have just asked for a clarification on his opinion, instead you chose to get your back up.
    I understand, I'll try to loosen up.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:05pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    when can I be fit enough to start interval training?
    I don't have a hard and fast rule on that. But you have enough information now to do your own research, there's only so much spoon-feeding one man can do. Google is your friend. Try searching on "HIIT".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 12:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do I know if I'm going at 170% of VO2 max? Also, in regular exercise I don't get tired easily but doing 10 minutes of Jiu waza (continuous training) as an attacker I get tired because I get thrown and have to get up fast so my partner can get the most benefit out of his training.
    As NeilG mentioned you should have a very solid fitness base before attempting HIIT (High Intesity Interval Training) I do Judo, I understand that repeatedly lifting 100Kg (Speaking personally here) up off the floor requires exertion but the fact that you are running out of puff means that your foundation isn't ready for you to properly use or benefit from HIIT protocols.

As far as the sort of exertion 170% VO2 max entails if you use

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on VO2 max
    Uth—Sørensen—Overgaard—Pedersen estimation
    Another estimate of VO2 max, based on maximum and resting heart rates, was created by a group of researchers from Denmark.[3] It is given by:
    This equation uses maximum heart rate (HRmax) and resting heart rate (HRrest) to estimate VO2 max in ml/min/kg.
    Along with this relationship to Max Heart Rate from http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

% MHR and %VO2max

It is possible to estimate your exercise intensity as a percentage of VO2max from your training heart rate. A study [1] by David Swain (1994) and his US based research team using statistical procedures examined the relationship between %MHR and %VO2max. Their results led to the following regression equation:
    • %MHR = 0.64 × %VO2max + 37
    The relationship has been shown to hold true across sex, age and activity.
    You will be able to work out what sort of intensity is required on each and every rep.

You need to do a fair bit of general fitness work before HIIT of any sort would be appropriate, possible or beneficial.
    Last edited by Joz; 8/03/2011 12:49pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    try doing burpees, for a minute straight, as fast as you can but keeping good form. Pick two other exercises and hit them the same way. Get a count for how many you do in a minute and never ever do less than that. You won't be world's greatest athlete, but your fitness level should improve in just a matter of weeks.
    Reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    Either practice a martial art that works you harder, or go exercise. Run, lift weights, sweat a little.
    Reps.

Quote Originally Posted by daishi
    If you want to stick with aikido and improve your fitness, you're going to have to buck up and start cross-training. Hit the gym, hit the road, hit the pool, something.
    Reps.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG
    My recommendation for someone like you is to run at an easy pace, 2-3 times a week, for 30-45 minutes. By easy, I mean that you could carry on a conversation in brief sentences with a running partner. In addition to that, hit the gym and do exercises that require whole body motion. Squats, cleans, pull-ups - get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do them safely. Start light, use weights that allow you to execute each movement with good acceleration, no straining. Twice a week for 45 minutes with a good program.
    Reps

After all of this you are still looking for a shortcut:
    A friend of mine does Karate he never lifts any weights or does any exercises but he is very fit due to the nature of his training and the way he trains, that's what I was trying to achieve,
    This is all based off your reactions to exercising.

It is noted that I asked you a question and it is still unanswered.

So, yes, it is arrogance. Why? Because wanting answers in a specific fashion based on your own arbitrary rules of discussion is arrogant. Funny, how instead of asking "WHY NOT," you chose to call it condescending. No one has to explain anything they CHOOSE to do so. If they CHOOSE not to it is silly to nitpick and become petulant. You described what you deemed as sprinting. H e said no. It is arrogant to expect an explanation because, you want one.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/03/2011 1:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Reps.

Reps.

Reps.

Reps

After all of this you are still looking for a shortcut:
    This is all based off your reactions to exercising.

It is noted that I asked you a question and it is still unanswered.

So, yes, it is arrogance. Why? Because wanting answers in a specific fashion based on your own arbitrary rules of discussion is arrogant. Funny, how instead of asking "WHY NOT," you chose to call it condescending. No one has to explain anything they CHOOSE to do so. If they CHOOSE not to it is silly to nitpick and become petulant. You described what you deemed as sprinting. H e said no. It is arrogant to expect an explanation because, you want one.
    Okay.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:53pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you aren't feeling totalled after doing Tabata, then you are doing it wrong, a few guys I know tried doing Tabata intervals and were pretty much ready to vomit afterwards, that's the kind of pain that gets the fitness improvements out of a 4 minute workout.

It sounds like all you are doing now is the maintenance amount, i.e. this is your fitness level, and your activities are keeping that level. Improving is going to cause some pain. Since it seems you dont like pain, you should go somewhere where having other people around you will keep you going, like joining a circuit training group or your friends karate class.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay.
    First, I am going to ask if you have gone to one of his classes and can describe the differences between your class and his. I am almost certain it will involve reps and body-weight exercises in training.
    Okay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, no I haven't gone to his classes but he says it's because of sparring all the time. There's no sparring in Aikido but I can create the same atmosphere, kind of.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to go see a class because, I bet you he is doing a large amount of body-weight exercises and that include reps. Also, he must be doing a TON of non-stop sparring if that is all he does.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast