Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 9:00am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Example of weak people picking weak MA and wondering why they are still weak.

"Hey guys I don't know why I'm not getting fit but I don't like doing anything that would make me better."

And no one has to respect the bad choices people make in life.
    Again with this witty I'm better than you ****. When you ask for help most of the responses you get are half condescending, half childish, and all rude.

Just like you put yourself in a position where you think you know enough to judge my choices as bad, I will put myself in one where I would know enough about you to give you advice, and my advice to you is: Have a little humility.

Your wit is admirable and I'm truly in awe but I have no respect for you either.

People like Aikironin, NeilG, daishi, permalost and Aikideshi: thank you for your help.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Again with this witty I'm better than you ****. When you ask for help most of the responses you get are half condescending, half childish, and all rude.
    I am better than you. I also don't ago on boards asking for help and post some stupid **** like:
    I don't like exercises and reps too much, I also hate weight lifting, I'm not overweight or anything I'm 185 Centimeters tall and I weigh about 74 Kilograms, but I feel I get tired too easily during randori or Jiu waza as an attacker (uke).
    You aren't getting any fitter after doing 2 years of Aikido and this is a surprise to you with an attitude like this!?!?! If you are too dumb to understand why you are getting the responses you get then you are too dumb to help.

Just like you put yourself in a position where you think you know enough to judge my choices as bad, I will put myself in one where I would know enough about you to give you advice, and my advice to you is: Have a little humility.
    I put cold hard cash that I know way more about fitness and Martial Arts than you. There is not need to be humble when you know what you are doing.

Your wit is admirable and I'm truly in awe but I have no respect for you either.
    Oh no you don't respect me....waaaaaahh.... well at least I'm not a lil weak ***** who can't understand that if I'm getting winded doing Aikido I would need to exercise.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 9:53am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little off topic: I enjoy sprinting, is that a good workout? I ask because it's usually not for very long, like 2 minutes, or 4 with some breaks in between and some people tell me it's better to run for much longer durations.
    Well as Tom pointed out fairly abruptly, I would not call what you are doing "sprinting". To me, a sprint is an all-out effort over a short distance, no more than 400 m. 400 m in 2 minutes is roughly marathon pace for a decent recreational runner.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is accomplish interval training. In intervals, we do some sort of activity that takes the heart rate into anaerobic territory, above 85% of maximum, for some relatively short period of time. Then we reduce the intensity of the activity so that the heart rate recovers well into the aerobic zone (60-85%). Rinse, lather, repeat. The point of interval training is to build aerobic capacity. It is not going to build endurance, it is not going to strengthen muscle, bone and ligament to allow you to run long distances. Finally, it is a dangerous way to train unless you already have a decent amount of cardio fitness built up from less stressful training.

My recommendation for someone like you is to run at an easy pace, 2-3 times a week, for 30-45 minutes. By easy, I mean that you could carry on a conversation in brief sentences with a running partner. In addition to that, hit the gym and do exercises that require whole body motion. Squats, cleans, pull-ups - get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do them safely. Start light, use weights that allow you to execute each movement with good acceleration, no straining. Twice a week for 45 minutes with a good program.

The idea behind my recommendations is to build cardio fitness without adapting your body too much to the running world, and to build the kind of strength/speed needed for grappling. Thus the relatively short runs and the emphasis on explosive movement when lifting.

Exrx has lots of good information on exercise. Mistress Krista's is a great site for beginning lifters. You can find a good summary of running training paces here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 10:09am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

People like Aikironin, NeilG, daishi, permalost and Aikideshi: thank you for your help.
    Anyone that posts I AM LAZY help me be LAZIER deserves what they get.

Oh and Tom wasn't being condescending. WTF is it with Aikidoka and thinking the longer the post the less condescension?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I am better than you. I also don't ago on boards asking for help and post some stupid **** like:

You aren't getting any fitter after doing 2 years of Aikido and this is a surprise to you with an attitude like this!?!?! If you are too dumb to understand why you are getting the responses you get then you are too dumb to help.

I put cold hard cash that I know way more about fitness and Martial Arts than you. There is not need to be humble when you know what you are doing.

Oh no you don't respect me....waaaaaahh.... well at least I'm not a lil weak ***** who can't understand that if I'm getting winded doing Aikido I would need to exercise.
    My physical fitness has well improved since I started, but at some point about 6 months ago I feel like it had reached a standstill.

I guess it provokes you for some reason the fact that I would try to find a way to boost my fitness using Aikido and not exercises. I have no reason to insult you back I really don't feel insulted with all this childish taunting and flaunting you're doing.

..."Lil *****"?

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Anyone that posts I AM LAZY help me be LAZIER deserves what they get.

Oh and Tom wasn't being condescending. WTF is it with Aikidoka and thinking the longer the post the less condescension?
    It has nothing to do with being an Aikidoka, if you are truly trying to help you will take the time to elaborate. It was sarcastic, and condescending. Maybe it's cultural difference, where I come from it's considered rude to mock someone in such fashion.

You assume I'm lazy but I have never missed a training session for two years and I really train as hard as I ca-...nevermind.

Again, my questions were in the beginning if Aikido was enough to boost my physical fitness on its own, and if I were doing something wrong with my training that results in it not boosting it. The replies were not all in favour of exercise repititions, daishi recommended boosting the tempo of my training, as well as aikironin. Your way is not the only way.

A friend of mine does Karate he never lifts any weights or does any exercises but he is very fit due to the nature of his training and the way he trains, that's what I was trying to achieve, or if it was not possible I know I would have to exercise, I'm not against being physically spent or tired, when I train in Aikido I am eager to learn and understand more so I train as hard as I can, but my reasoning is what am I going to learn or understand from fitness exercise, you know?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It has nothing to do with being an Aikidoka, if you are truly trying to help you will take the time to elaborate. It was sarcastic, and condescending.
    No, it wasn't. You are angry because people have ripped you a new one. No, it isn't cultural. You have been getting advice and what you don't like is immediately labeled negative.

You: Is this sprinting?
    Tom: No.
    You: OMG Condescension.

No, overreaction on your part.

Maybe it's cultural difference, where I come from it's considered rude to mock someone in such fashion.
    No it is a difference in arrogance. You don't like what you've heard so, any one with a different opinion that doesn't cater to your mindset is rude, condescending, and mocking. Tom didn't mock. Running as fast as you can and stopping is not sprinting.
    You assume I'm lazy but I have never missed a training session for two years and I really train as hard as I ca-...nevermind.
    I never missed a day of school for two years. It doesn't mean I am smart. Just like your example doesn't mean you are fit.

You don't like reps. Let me say that again. You don't like reps. Guess what you have to do as mentioned by EVERYONE.....reps. Yes, EVERYONE has mentioned you must do the one thing you have admitted you don't like and don't want to do.

So, it wasn't an assumption it was based off your reactions and complaints.
    Aikido I am eager to learn and understand more so I train as hard as I can, but my reasoning is what am I going to learn or understand from fitness exercise, you know?
    No, I don't know. This is the fallacy people use to train martial arts and not train to be fit.

A friend of mine does Karate he never lifts any weights or does any exercises but he is very fit due to the nature of his training and the way he trains, that's what I was trying to achieve
    First, I am going to ask if you have gone to one of his classes and can describe the differences between your class and his. I am almost certain it will involve reps and body-weight exercises in training.

The next part is genetics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, it wasn't. You are angry because people have ripped you a new one. No, it isn't cultural. You have been getting advice and what you don't like is immediately labeled negative.

You: Is this sprinting?
    Tom: No.
    You: OMG Condescension.

No, overreaction on your part.

No it is a difference in arrogance. You don't like what you've heard so, any one with a different opinion that doesn't cater to your mindset is rude, condescending, and mocking. Tom didn't mock. Running as fast as you can and stopping is not sprinting.

I never missed a day of school for two years. It doesn't mean I am smart. Just like your example doesn't mean you are fit.

You don't like reps. Let me say that again. You don't like reps. Guess what you have to do as mentioned by EVERYONE.....reps. Yes, EVERYONE has mentioned you must do the one thing you have admitted you don't like and don't want to do.

So, it wasn't an assumption it was based off your reactions and complaints.

No, I don't know. This is the fallacy people use to train martial arts and not train to be fit.

First, I am going to ask if you have gone to one of his classes and can describe the differences between your class and his. I am almost certain it will involve reps and body-weight exercises in training.

The next part is genetics.
    I'm not angry...Let me explain, I don't know you, I don't like you and I don't hate you, I honestly don't mean this as an offense; but you can't anger me if you tried you don't matter that much to me.

Arrogance you say? "You have been getting advice and what you don't like is immediately labeled negative" where is the advice in "you are not sprinting?" or "I am better than you", these are the only posts I reacted negatively to. I honestly try to take all advice in consideration but "you are not sprinting" is not advice, its nitpicking and I find it condescending. Advice would be to say why and how I can fix it...but this doesn't really matter.

I'm here to find out how I can improve my Aikido training and fitness, not to talk about etiquette, so I will leave it at that.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:43am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly try to take all advice in consideration but "you are not sprinting" is not advice, its nitpicking and I find it condescending.
    You are much too easily offended to be on bullshido. You might have just asked for a clarification on his opinion, instead you chose to get your back up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:44am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand why the condescending attitude? If you truly wanted to help you would at least elaborate, these short statements that really offer nothing isn't what I need, I do what are called Tabata sprints 20s sprint 10s rest in intervals for 4 minutes, my friend tells me they're a good workout but I have been wondering if 4 minutes of exercise are enough.

I really don't understand people like you. If you don't want to help why are you here?
    1) You originally posted that you "...I enjoy sprinting, is that a good workout? I ask because it's usually not for very long, like 2 minutes, or 4 with some breaks in between..."

Tom replied that you are not sprinting. He is correct nobody can sprint for 2 minutes.

2)You then mention that you are attempting to use a Tabata exercise protocol. Tabata exercise protocols are quite widely misunderstood, it is not enough to run as hard as you can for the 20 seconds you have to actually be going at about 170% of VO2max If you could actually do that for 8 reps you would not be running out of puff at Aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Well as Tom pointed out fairly abruptly, I would not call what you are doing "sprinting". To me, a sprint is an all-out effort over a short distance, no more than 400 m. 400 m in 2 minutes is roughly marathon pace for a decent recreational runner.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is accomplish interval training. In intervals, we do some sort of activity that takes the heart rate into anaerobic territory, above 85% of maximum, for some relatively short period of time. Then we reduce the intensity of the activity so that the heart rate recovers well into the aerobic zone (60-85%). Rinse, lather, repeat. The point of interval training is to build aerobic capacity. It is not going to build endurance, it is not going to strengthen muscle, bone and ligament to allow you to run long distances. Finally, it is a dangerous way to train unless you already have a decent amount of cardio fitness built up from less stressful training.

My recommendation for someone like you is to run at an easy pace, 2-3 times a week, for 30-45 minutes. By easy, I mean that you could carry on a conversation in brief sentences with a running partner. In addition to that, hit the gym and do exercises that require whole body motion. Squats, cleans, pull-ups - get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do them safely. Start light, use weights that allow you to execute each movement with good acceleration, no straining. Twice a week for 45 minutes with a good program.

The idea behind my recommendations is to build cardio fitness without adapting your body too much to the running world, and to build the kind of strength/speed needed for grappling. Thus the relatively short runs and the emphasis on explosive movement when lifting.

Exrx has lots of good information on exercise. Mistress Krista's is a great site for beginning lifters. You can find a good summary of running training paces here.
    Thanks this is very helpful.

So far I gathered: Increase the tempo of Aikido training, perform body weight exercises and run easy for longer periods, when can I be fit enough to start interval training?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast