Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay fine I stopped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 11:12pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...anyway, did you get some idea of training modification you can apply to better your physical exertions while on the mat? You took some flak in this forum, but that will happen. Please be aware your ideas and responses are not uncommon in the aikido world. I have heard the same situations you describe too many times.

If you don't like a response someone gives you, and you don't think you can learn anything from it, ignore it. Otherwise we get 15 page threads with only a portion dedicated to the thread subject.

It doesn't hurt to add other kinds of weight and circuit training. I rarely speak about M. Ueshiba, but one thing he did do, was constantly train his body (at least in his younger years). Too many aikido people try to start off doig their martial art with limited resistence, and easy training...the training Ueshiba did when he was in his freaking 60's. But that's not where his training started, only when it started being video recorded. This is simiar to all the martial arts. These 'masters' people idolize started somewhere...and became who they were due to the efforts made while TRAINING. What they did to get where they ended up. This is the most important part. So, please, challenge yourself everyday...test your will, overcome laziness and apathy, pay attention to details, and don't go through the motions...and you will start to understand how the TRAINING benefits all aspects of your life. Similarly, competition helps forge that "spirit" I spoke of as well. Though, for a budo, its good to have an experienced teacher. One who will teach you competition (judo, jujitsu, fighting) is competition with yourself. Its more healthy to have the mentality of bettering yourself by competing against another...rather than beating someone just to beat them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 11:11am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far I started to practice with much more intensity and I just get completely exhausted halfway through training but continue to the end at almost the same pace, and I will pick up Judo on the side (I have already signed up for next month) because they train in fitness at least once a week and it looks interesting.

Seldom, we would do some fitness exercises before training as sort of a warm up when a senior that trains BJJ with Aikido leads training but we really push it and start the actual Aikido training completely wasted, I find those exercises (just basic pushups, pullups, rope climbing, crunches, handstands, squats, etc..) fun, but doing them by myself seems boring.

Everyone has recommended repetitive exercise and I deep down know I have to do them, I was hoping that martial arts were enough exercise if I practice rigorously. A two hour exercise session is not as fulfilling to me as a two hour martial arts session where I get tossed around and hone my technique.

Do you as an Aikidoka think similarly? Or am I misguided? If you have any ideas please share them as they are always helpful.

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 12:35pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use the aikido as a base for some of the exercise, and you can be doing both.

Simple things like...

Rolling Falls:
    • Roll forward, stand, roll backwards, repeat.
    • From standing, Half roll backwards until feet in the air, back to standing without using your hands, repeat.
    • Sideways rolling ukemi to right, then to left, repeat.

Tai Sabaki (irimi tenkan)
    • Standard, but repeat for extended period
    • Standard, but when you finish each 180˚, use your lead hand to touch the floor by your front foot.
    • Standard but with arms loose. Hold light dumbells, and use the turn to swing your arms.
    • Standard, but when you finish each 180˚, pivot a further 180˚ on the balls/heels of your feet.

Tai No Henko/ Tai no tenkan
    As standard, but on your own. Make same movements, fully extending arms, but holding light dumbells/kettleweights.

Entries
    • Basically, any entry movement you might normally make from AiHanmi Katate Dori could be rinsed and repeated solo, holding weights.
    • Also, making any of those movements with deeper leg (squatting) positions. As long as you are careful of your knees.

This is very much just off the top of my head, and likely flawed, but hopefully it should illustrate that with some imagination, exercise needn't be utterly separate from your martial arts.
    Just apply some good exercise principles to the kinds of movements that are relevant to your martial arts.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 2:49am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Use the aikido as a base for some of the exercise, and you can be doing both.

Simple things like...

Rolling Falls:
    • Roll forward, stand, roll backwards, repeat.
    • From standing, Half roll backwards until feet in the air, back to standing without using your hands, repeat.
    • Sideways rolling ukemi to right, then to left, repeat.

Tai Sabaki (irimi tenkan)
    • Standard, but repeat for extended period
    • Standard, but when you finish each 180˚, use your lead hand to touch the floor by your front foot.
    • Standard but with arms loose. Hold light dumbells, and use the turn to swing your arms.
    • Standard, but when you finish each 180˚, pivot a further 180˚ on the balls/heels of your feet.

Tai No Henko/ Tai no tenkan
    As standard, but on your own. Make same movements, fully extending arms, but holding light dumbells/kettleweights.

Entries
    • Basically, any entry movement you might normally make from AiHanmi Katate Dori could be rinsed and repeated solo, holding weights.
    • Also, making any of those movements with deeper leg (squatting) positions. As long as you are careful of your knees.

This is very much just off the top of my head, and likely flawed, but hopefully it should illustrate that with some imagination, exercise needn't be utterly separate from your martial arts.
    Just apply some good exercise principles to the kinds of movements that are relevant to your martial arts.
    I think this is a great idea. They also make those weights you can wear on your wrists and ankles. May be more Aiki-practical to wear these than to hold a dumbbell or kettle bell. Like using the boat ore instead of your standard boken for suburi, or those rings they put on bats warming up to hit.

I read in a book one time,"The best way to train for an activity is doing that activity". Like training MMA and fighting prepares you for getting into a fight. If you want to be in better shape for your Aikido class, do more Aikido and add resistance.
    Last edited by Aikironin21; 8/09/2011 3:06am at . Reason: Removed author's name to prevent repeating an old thread and keep the piece of Bullshido.

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 10:30am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    If you want to be in better shape for your Aikido class, do more Aikido and add resistance.
    Common fallacy. Specificity in weight training does not mean adding weight to the exact same action. In fact, that can be detrimental. Swinging a weighted bat is different from swinging a regular weight bat and you end up training your body to do the wrong thing. You want to be using weights to make your body stronger to support the sport you are training for. If you are a sprinter, training starts with rocks tied to your ankles is a bad idea. But squats with a big upward explosive movement are probably helpful (just guessing, not a track coach here).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 10:55am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mister,
    Two hours in the gym is a brutal long time...especially if your not a gym rat. It will be really hard to stay interested in your work out and you will spend more time sitting on a bench/machine trying to work yourself up for the next set then you will spend actually exercising...and this will piss people off.

If I am strength training, I can get in and out of the gym in 45 min to an hour. If I am doing circuit training I do an hour. I usually switch it up, or do both. For example, the last two weeks I would do a four-exercise/four set routine of circuit training (ie jump rope, burpee-pullups, box jumps, medicine ball slams would be one day)...then after that I would do concentrated muscle group strength training (say, forearms and biceps, four sets, four exercises)...total time, an hour and 45 min. I did that pretty much daily. Over the last week, and until I get tired of it, I am doing straight strength training, with a lifting buddy. That's about 4-6 exercises, four sets, and throw in some 'failure sets' (do as many as possible), and such. this gives me a 'spotter' so I can push my strength treshhold. These workouts are about an hour...but that includes a little warm up and stretgh period as well. I do not typically rest between sets, if I do its because I am doing an ab or forearm workout as a rest period for the muscle group I am lifting. I will likely do this training for about another week, then go to a couple weeks of power training...focusing on bursting exercises. I just mix it up so I don't get bored.

I also really like to do random **** as well. For example I will be feeling lazy one day, so I will decide to test myself by grabbing a suburito (boat oar bokken) and see how many overhead strikes I can get before quitting (I try for 1,000). Or I will really deep and low stances and hold them for awhile (I do Yoshinkan aikido, so we have those...plus I will throw in some stances from my karate days) unil my legs start to shake...or I will practice shikko for 30 or 40 minutes....stuff like that. Its not terrible to watch other people's workouts and attempt to imitate...but I would get a magazine like Men's Health and look at some of their exercises as well, or on the internet. I often see a lot of bad form, and boring workouts from people in the gym.

Anyway bro, I am not saying its a necesity to be a gym rat...but I do think its important to "sort out" your physical self before attempting to improve your "spiritual" self. I believe the those two qualities are inseperable, and depend upon each other for growth. (Personal growth being the primary reason for my training).

Take care man,

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 11:47am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daishi...

Doesn't Yoshinkan have 5 or 6 solo forms that specifically relate to technique? (Name-wise, I can only remember "Hiriki ni Yosei", and I don't know how to spell that.

Anyway, do you have any video links to those, so he has something he can be doing that will improve his form at least, whilst adding some vigorous exercise. I can't imagine that cycling through those for 45 minutes is going to be physically easy, and would still meet his requirement for practicing technique.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast