Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 1516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:07pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wanted to do Kendo but there's not a single Kendo dojo in my entire country, theres Chanbara in my club but it looks kind of...I don't know... uninteresting, and Taekwondo.

It's kind of a sports club, has Football (regular not American), Volleyball, Basketball, Handball, Swimming, Water Polo, Body Building, Gym, French Fencing, squash, Tennis, and lots of other things but the most significant thing is Trap Shooting. That's the coolest thing in the club, the club is even called "The Shooting Club". I train there a couple of times a week it's fantastic and the huge recoil on the rifles makes you feel like an American action movie sniper.

...Except you're shooting at plates but you can pretend they're people if you want. Or invading drones, that works for me.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:27pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post

Even the people whom have been jerks taught me a thing or two, thanks to all of you, sincerely.
    It's tough love, as Musashi said, the way is in the training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 10:13pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To op's first couple of posts: http://laurajul.dk/wp-content/upload...-Conchords.jpg

On a more serious note, good luck with your training. I hope you'll enjoy Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 7:38am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mister,
    Glad you had a physically challenging class the other night. This leads into my next thought:

To get away from the posturing and all, I would like to speak a bit about fitness. If you are "standing" around bored in the dojo, or in the gym, you are certainly doing something wrong. Those who plateu in the gym are the same who are often bored and have to force themselves to do their next exercise. You shouldn't have to do such a thing because it seems boring. Rather, you should dread your next set because you think you might puke...but I like high tempo workouts. With that, adding strength training is important as well...to look good, and to build muscle mass.

There should be a correlation between this idea in the gym, and your aikido training. If you are running for fittness, change it up with speek work (sprints), tempo runs, hill runs, etc. In the gym, do some days of plyometrics, explosive power training, failure sets, etc. All the same goes for what you do in the dojo. Train in different ways, in a non-scheduled manner. If you are bored with your training, then that the fault of you and your instructors. How you mentioned you thought you wanted to puke...that should be how every class is. Aikido is not going to make you the ultimate warrior, but it can challenge you to grow as a person. If you aren't constantly testing your limits, if you let yourself get complacent, then you aren't really doing budo. The point of budo is self-growth. The idea that its a MARTIAL art is that you are doing with with an element of risk, even in a cooperative art such as aikido. Too many aikido dojo become complacent and lazy, they think they can focus on these 'internal skills' without understanding that stuff comes from ardurous physical training. You know....shugyo, as us aikido bunnies call it. Most play lip service to this, but its something that is required in your training less you allow your training to have relative little realy effect on you.

The way you describe your dojo saddens me. I visit dojo all over the US and I see this all too often. Its a shame, and is an inidcator of what happens when people start their own school with not enough background to be quality instructors. It sucks. Its too easy in a cooperative MA to overestimate one's understanding of the art.

Crosstraining is great. Once you've been training for a few years you will realize that one of these arts is your base style. It could be the original one you trainied in, or it could change. Mine changed TO aikido. But I still absolutely love training in JJJ, Judo, Iaido (well, I don't like to do it, but when my friends make me I enjoy it), and karate. They will all compliment each other in different ways...and the more advanced you become, the more you realize how much they all have in common (or at least what they were intended to have in common...and I am speaking of Japanese TMA, though I certainly speak a similar language and have similar philosophies as my veteran MT and Krav Maga buddies).

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find someplace to train. Remember to always test yourself...try to do it everyday if possible. Don't get complacent, only by overcoming challenges and hardships can you better yourself, regardless if your train aikido, or train for a marathon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do get bored sometimes because I don't think much of my usual instructor and his training contains a lot of talking and little technique performing, but when someone else leads training or the lead instructor shows up I'm never bored, they're good teachers if they would just take the time to come to the Dojo, however, I don't always push myself to the limit in my Aikido training, not on purpose at least.

I clearly understand what you mean, and I know what I have to do now, thank you Daishi you've been very helpful from the start. I will try to train myself to the limit and beyond that if I could.

Edit: Also I know my English sounds a little formal, it's not my native language.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey wait a minute...

Why are we called Aikido Bunnies?

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you're bouncy, floppy and nobody treats you as a serious threat.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 5:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about anyone else, but For me it is the stupidity some of you spew that is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going and going.......

You know how you keep harping on etiquette while not wanting to address it anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like I shouldn't have asked.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes.

When you keep doing things like this:
    I want to thank you guys, with the exception of the last couple of pages that were all bickering and "funny" video.....[snip]...Even the people whom have been jerks taught me a thing or two, thanks to all of you, sincerely.
    People get picked on here especially, if they can't let things go. Once you let it go you will be able to enjoy the website.

When you calm down go back and read how many times YOU brought this up. This is called needling and some of us tend to needle right back. You eliminate those two sentences and the needling is done.

It means the things still bother you..