Posted On:
    8/04/2011 5:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokikai90 View Post
    As for the hippo in a hakama he's fighting
    Way to reinforce the stigma of TMAers not knowing anything about a real fight.
    :(

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:04pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    This form of self defence relies on mass and relativistic effects. In the presence of a gravitational field, time relative to an outside observer slows down in accordance with with the familiar Schwarzild equation . By conditioning himself to achieve relativistic mass, the larger practitioner has exploited Einsteinian physics to force any attacker who attempts to kick him to instead slow down and hold his foot statically next to him, where he can proceed to deal with it at leisure.

It’s very scientific, but training is expensive due to the requisite food budget consisting of large amounts of food in heavy isotope form.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:06pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, if I were attending a club where the actual instructor rarely showed up and most of the classes were taught by a douchey shodan with **** technique who spends more time listening to himself talk and showing off for the ladies, I'd go to a different club. Mostly on account of it being a complete waste of time and money.

Seriously OP, do Judo. It's: Cheap, effective, widely available, damn good exercise, fun, and, most importantly, not fifteen hundred feet up its own ass.

Then, after you get stronger and decentish at Judo, do some karate, as even if it's useless McDojo **** you'll have the solid skills of Judo to fall back on.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 6:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    This form of self defence relies on mass and relativistic effects. In the presence of a gravitational field, time relative to an outside observer slows down in accordance with with the familiar Schwarzild equation . By conditioning himself to achieve relativistic mass, the larger practitioner has exploited Einsteinian physics to force any attacker who attempts to kick him to instead slow down and hold his foot statically next to him, where he can proceed to deal with it at leisure.

It’s very scientific, but training is expensive due to the requisite food budget consisting of large amounts of food in heavy isotope form.
    I think you are confused sir, this is an Aikido thread not a _ing _un thread. Math does not belong here only hippies; and tinkerbells.

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another proof of the importance of belly size in aikido.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post

This makes perfect sense. At the highest ranks where critical density has been reached, as with a black hole, time can come to a complete stop; allowing the master to deal with the attacker next week if he chooses.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 7:27pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Another proof of the importance of belly size in aikido.

1. Nice finds.

2. IRIMI YOU ************! IRIMI!

Thanks for listening.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 8:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    There are many ways to say the truth doesn't have to be rude but I really don't want to discuss etiquette so I will leave it at that.

On topic (kind of) I didn't dismiss Judo I think it's a good idea and I'll definitely try it, I was just wondering about Karate as I always wanted to learn to punch and kick properly even as an Uke I feel kind of silly launching a Tsuki when I've never been specifically taught how to do it, or a Mae Giri, Yoko, Giri Mawashi Giri, etc.. you get the idea.
    Karate is fun, Just look at my name, but there's a ton of shitty karate. Unless the Karate spars with some sort of realism it's going to be useless.

MA's like Judo and BJJ, and boxing escape that because competition reveals BS.

If it's a kata only based Karate or they don't let you spar within a couple classes it is also crap.

Good luck to you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 8:56pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Warning: This is a long post that may or may not contain some **** you might not care about; some guy's changes in a training session, whom you've never met (me), and if you don't care I'd advise not reading, just to save your time.

I just got back from training today...

I want to thank you guys, with the exception of the last couple of pages that were all bickering and "funny" videos everyone out here has been really helpful, I practiced today with a lot of focus on fitness and non stop work and I can tell you after a 2 hour session I felt like I was going to straight out vomit from exhaustion, it was get thrown immediately get up fast get thrown again etc. Then we had Randori in the end too and I was Uke for 3 people all very fast paced, it was magnificent. I think I'm getting somewhere, this has truly been a learning experience and I'm pleased to have let go of some of my ego (which feels huge sometimes) and really worked on improvement, I didn't say a word in class today in explanation, only the name of steps if my partner was struggling (irimi or tenkan) and overall I could say it's been the best training I've ever had since I started. I was exhausted, a little bruised, and very satisfied.

I really think I'm getting somewhere at this pace, if I'm winded like this after training it must be improving my fitness right? I'll keep doing this until it doesn't tire me anymore and I'll crank up the intensity a bit more even then.

Even the people whom have been jerks taught me a thing or two, thanks to all of you, sincerely.

Oh and I start Judo alongside next month because my club has no space to accomodate me at the moment. I'm still looking into Karate but I'm leaning more towards Judo as advised by most.

I know I can be a bit provocative but, thank you very much for all the help, and also taking the time to help.

(To Goju-Joe, yes there's sparring sessions in the Shotokan Karate dojo in my club)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 6:42pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your club has Judo, Shotokan and Aikido all under one roof? Nice, somedays I really miss big city life...

Do they have anything else like Kendo just so I can be even more jealous?