Posted On:
    8/03/2011 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyokushin Organisations

Hi guys,

I've finally seen the light and am laughing my way out of my Krav school. I'd been toying with the idea of Muay Thai until I started reading about Kyokushin here (I spent about three days going through all the MMA/TMA styles I could find on Bullshido).

I wanted to know if there was any significance in the organisations schools are associated with.

From what I've seen the IKO(1?) org seems to produce known fighters more than others. I don't know much about the difference, and if there is any, however. I know it comes down to instructors more than anything, but I'm still interested to know if there's any conventional wisdom on IFK vs IKO etc.

I'm trying to find a good dojo in Sydney, Australia. I like this one but it looks like it's about 30 minutes away from the city, which is where I live and work - http://www.cujickyokushin.com/facilities.php which can suck as I finish work quite late.

There's also http://www.easternsuburbskarate.com.au/timetable.html and http://www.ifk-australia.com/.

I'm pretty disappointed by Krav, as the training at my Krav school is mostly compliant. I don't want to invest my time stupidly again, hence the intense research!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either of the first two dojo's seem pretty good. They have produced some pretty good fighters.

The IFK one competes in Kempo and NAS tournaments and may have a non-contact focus. It does say on their website that they compete in full contact too though.

Kyokushin dojos usually have a free introductory class so I would go try each and see which one you like.

Are you looking to compete in tournaments or just looking to train?

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 5:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure. I think I'm probably just looking to train, but I quickly become competitive in these situations so I'd like to keep the tournament option open.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 1:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budochic View Post
    Either of the first two dojo's seem pretty good. They have produced some pretty good fighters.

The IFK one competes in Kempo and NAS tournaments and may have a non-contact focus. It does say on their website that they compete in full contact too though.

Kyokushin dojos usually have a free introductory class so I would go try each and see which one you like.

Are you looking to compete in tournaments or just looking to train?
    Budochic, I just saw your location and primary styles. You are pretty much living my dream in the right country! How do you find Kyokushin training and Muay Thai training compare, wherever you are? I don't necessarily mean the styles, I know they offer their own separate things and a few of them crossover, I mean in terms of training aggression, the people you train with etc.

I was told that there's no point training in something like Kyokushin over here, and that if I want real, stress-tested combat practice in Australia then MT/an MMA gym is the only way to go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 9:53am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would guess finding a good school that meets your needs will do more for you than which organization they are affiliated with. I remember many years ago overhearing my kyokushinkai senseis commenting to one another that it got "political" when it came to awarding higher black belt rankings (5th and above?) were political after a certain dan ranking. Can't say how true that was then or is now but I'd bet that won't hurt your training any.