Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 1:53pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice needed for a BJJ'er on complimentary exercise for Squats and Deadlifts.

Hi guys,

I'm just starting BJJ, I can only train at long intervals but intensive at those times but I will have access to a weights gym when I'm not training BJJ.

My plan is to just do deadlifts and squats.(I feel like there should be one more exercise as well but I'm not sure)

My goal is to get an iron hard core and tree trunk legs. And let my bjj training take care of the rest of my conditioning.

I used to do weights when I was younger and I lost a lot of flexibility, from my understanding, and reading, that these exercise will not take away my flexibility, and if done correctly will give me explosive power and work cardio as well.

I will be working 12 hour days, so I want a very short workout, that I can do after work.

Id appreciate any thoughts on this idea, and possible things i need to make sure of before lifting, ie stretches warmups, etc.

Cheers.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do overhead press and bent over rows and pullups. These help with the squeeze and posture control for guard and holding onto submissions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking something like an overhead press, it just feels like it would be the natural fit with deadlifts and squats, I really want to have a strong spine and core all the way through, though I would still be worried about my shoulders getting too big and affecting my range of motion.

So do you or anyone else have any ideas what would be the bets way to put these all together?

Should I do dead-lifts and bent over rows one day and squats and overhead press on the next take a day break and repeat, or do them all on one day every second day?

And what type of training is recommend to supplement bjj?

I read that keeping the movements fast to recreate quick muscle response, is the way to go but what type of loading should I use? and what type of cycle ie Heavy weights, low reps, high sets, the reverse or pyramid training ?

I know this is a lot of questions but I really want to understand and get this right before I start. I used to be really dedicated with my weight training and I dont want to just go gung-ho in the wrong direction.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 3:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aus81
    though I would still be worried about my shoulders getting too big and affecting my range of motion.
    You do not need to worry about this, not even a little bit. Your ROM won't decrease from getting strong, it'll only decrease from not using it. There are countless examples of top-tier bodybuilders, powerlifters, Olympic lifters, and professional athletes that are yoked beyond belief and also extremely flexible.

You're not that special.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 12:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks TaeBo.

Any tips on how I should structure my training?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 12:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots. But you'll have to give me more details than "I train BJJ" to get decent advice. The more you tell me, the more I can tell you.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 1:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My time schedule:

Ok, I will be working away. 8 days on 6 days off. On my 8 days at work, I will be working 12 hour days but will have access to a gym. I want to keep workouts short and focused, 'cause I am going to be tired. When I am home I wont be going to the gym but should be training BJJ and wrestling at least 3x over those six days.

My training goals:

I want to have a core made of steel, tree trunk legs, good stamina and explosive power/strength. I dont want to lose flexiblity, or speed and I dont want to spend hours in the gym.

This doesn't have to happen overnight and I dont expect it to. I just wanted to use a small number of comprehensive weight exercises that I can motivate myself to do after long days at work, and let the grappling take care of the rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 1:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So any tips, or is that not enough info?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Muay Thai a few months ago and am keen to start judo as soon as possible. I have very similar goals to Aus81 "a core made of steel, tree trunk legs, good stamina and explosive power/strength. I dont want to lose flexiblity, or speed and I dont want to spend hours in the gym." sounds perfect. I just started weight training about a week ago and its surprisingly fun.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 8:15am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do this circuit every Saturday morning before ju jitsu and mma training, I do it with 135lb (barbell) but can be adjusted to a weight you see fit:

Pull ups- 4x 10-15
    Power cleans- 4x max
    Bentover rows- 4x max, alternating overhand and underhand grip each set
    Deadlifts- 50, any amount of sets necessary.

This is all done with limited amount of rest time between sets. In addition to your heavy lifting schedule, which I have as well, I find this helps build power and explosiveness in my back and shoulders and actually loosened me up quite a bit before training.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast