1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 8:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Although in the same discussion when they were talking about a Muay thai stance they were speaking of the one with the front foot lightly on the ground or hopping(If that is the right word) looking fo the teep.
    That isn't really THE Muay Thai stance. That is a pretty specific first round/long range position for only kicking.

The classic most basic Muay Thai stance is feet shoulder width with 50/50 weight distribution and the lead foot one foot length in front of the rear leg. Your body should be squared up with both feet pointing forward and your weight should be on the balls of your feet.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NO style can be transplanted 100% into MMA. everything has to be modified, adapted and integrated in some way. you have to change your BJJ, your boxing, your wrestling, your karate, you muay thai, whatever. everything has to integrate into the other ranges. these styles were developed with other ranges taken out of the equation.

to say that muay thai doesn't work in the street because their feet isn't wide enough is dumb. you tell him, "danno said you're a ******".

if anything, i think a problem with some thai fighters is their habit of standing straight up in the clinch. their hips are sometimes too far forward which exposes them to takedowns. it's easy to solve though, as wandy demonstrates. notice how far away his hips are:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:12am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    ...if anything, i think a problem with some thai fighters is their habit of standing straight up in the clinch. their hips are sometimes too far forward which exposes them to takedowns. it's easy to solve though, as wandy demonstrates. notice how far away his hips are:

Although I agree with the rest of what you're saying, if a Thai boxer DOESN'T stand up straight while clinching, he'll get destroyed -- like Silva's opponents in that video. Silva was able to move his hips back and throw long knees at will because they allowed him to break their posture. They also assured that they would never regain it, by letting go and trying to block his knees with their arms.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 2:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truth is so few MMA fighters clinch correctly it barely matters. Unless your opponent's last name is Silva you can probably get away with lazy clinch defense.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 9:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    Although I agree with the rest of what you're saying, if a Thai boxer DOESN'T stand up straight while clinching, he'll get destroyed -- like Silva's opponents in that video. Silva was able to move his hips back and throw long knees at will because they allowed him to break their posture. They also assured that they would never regain it, by letting go and trying to block his knees with their arms.
    i'm talking about wand's posture as he uses the thai clinch, not the guy he's clinching.

i'm no muay thai expert, but i've found that i can get bearhug takedowns on most thai guys at will when they clinch me - that means straightening up myself to grab them around the middle and pull em in. i couldn't do that if their hips were further back like wandy.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 10:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muay thai is not mma. if you have your hips too far back in a plum you will get forced down and kneed in the head. the basic defense to someone trying to "crush" you down is to jam your chest and hips forward, fight for control, and when you have it, THEN you pull back to throw knees.

actually if you want a good example of this ill blow my own trumpet-

watch what im doing at about the 1:20 mark, and what the commentator says. timing was perfect :D

also shows why the bearhug is kinda hard to get off with boxing gloves on.
    Last edited by alex; 8/03/2011 10:09pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 11:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    muay thai is not mma. if you have your hips too far back in a plum you will get forced down and kneed in the head.
    this is what i'm trying to say.

watch these guys at 0:10

if one of them straightened up thai style, fighting for the plum, they'd get taken down almost instantly.

when you're fighting under rules which allow for takedowns and knees, you can't do it exactly like a wrestler OR a thai fighter. you have to adapt your posture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i'm talking about wand's posture as he uses the thai clinch, not the guy he's clinching...
    I know that, but if you try to enter clinch range with your head/arms forward and hips back, you'll wind up like the other guys if your opponent knows what he's doing.

As WhiteShark said, though, in MMA it probably won't matter.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2011 4:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because it's MMA, getting taken down also matters. you don't need to have your hips miles away with your head down - but just enough to avoid exposing yourself to a very basic takedown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 7:02pm

Style: thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first of all muay thai works wounders on the street(tried tested and true) . second of all i would make the argument that a wide stance is better suited to a wrestler. so long as your competent if taken to the ground and have some submissions why widen your stance? sure its easier to sprawl but it takes the pepper off you strikes (especially punches) strike when striking.
    unless your more of a takedown guy to begin with
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast