Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically, Your question is "can anyone show me a short cut to learning and cross-training because, I am too lazy to listen to my coach or sparring partners?"

You can ask all of these questions with your coach. That way they can tailor your training to those needs. Yes, the people giving you "helpful" advice are forgetting that they are fucking up your training.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I read this somewhere here before, it's what prompted me to ask this question. One guys reply was that he moves his head in a more U shaped pattern rather than up and down.
    And just because it works for this one guy, may not work for you. Or maybe he is doing something else *in addition to* moving his head that way. Maybe he doesn't know he is doing it or doesn't realize or it is just a habit that worked itself in some time ago.

Example: U-shaped pattern "up and down" or U-shaped pattern "left to right"? And which direction is that U-shape?

Fact is you and I typing words on the screen isn't anywhere near as good as what your instructor or coach can see you doing and correct immediately. I gave you a couple of simple things which are pretty self-evident, as for everything else, ask the dude you are paying.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, the people giving you "helpful" advice are forgetting that they are fucking up your training.
    Meh, he's a BJJ beginner who "might have a chance to spar a bit" with some boxers, and might want to get into MMA later on. I don't think he has enough training to **** up his training, and he's stupid if he plans on listening to random interneters rather than his actual coach, but enough people have told him that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:54pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So basically, Your question is "can anyone show me a short cut to learning and cross-training because, I am too lazy to listen to my coach or sparring partners?"

You can ask all of these questions with your coach. That way they can tailor your training to those needs. Yes, the people giving you "helpful" advice are forgetting that they are fucking up your training.
    No, that wasn't my question but that's what could have been easily interpreted from my badly written thread title.

I am still learning the ropes here and as Snake pointed out I need to be more clear and keep simple. It could **** up my training if I was the type of person who relied solely on bullshido to guide me.

As you said my coach is the first person I should be speaking to, I am not training with a boxing coach, just looking at sparring in some free time more as fitness with some guys who may or may not really know much beyond boxing, hence just wanted to start building a small idea of how boxing will relate to things I want to do in the future.

As it is from reading it seems like boxing is something that I should be considering, that's why I am asking questions.

The more information I have the easier it is for me to make a decision, and to spot the bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 2:02pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    And just because it works for this one guy, may not work for you. Or maybe he is doing something else *in addition to* moving his head that way. Maybe he doesn't know he is doing it or doesn't realize or it is just a habit that worked itself in some time ago.

Example: U-shaped pattern "up and down" or U-shaped pattern "left to right"? And which direction is that U-shape?

Fact is you and I typing words on the screen isn't anywhere near as good as what your instructor or coach can see you doing and correct immediately. I gave you a couple of simple things which are pretty self-evident, as for everything else, ask the dude you are paying.
    haha, I knew I shouldn't have posted that. I wasn't putting it as an answer just as an example that it had been discussed and maybe as a point of reference.

I do like to think that even the Interneters and the words have something valid to say as long as it's keep in perspective, and the value placed is relevant to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Meh, he's a BJJ beginner who "might have a chance to spar a bit" with some boxers, and might want to get into MMA later on. I don't think he has enough training to **** up his training, and he's stupid if he plans on listening to random interneters rather than his actual coach, but enough people have told him that.
    You said it. It wasn't meant to be a big thing just more information but anyway, what your thinking in your head and what gets received on the other end.. yeah well.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Snake, how much boxing and muay Thai have you done?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zero Muay Thai

about 5 years of "quality" boxing, after which time I convinced myself that I could mix my TKD and karate training I had and compete in kickboxing until I wised up.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try to explain it again:

At my old BJJ club we had twice a week an "English Boxing for Kickboxing styles" class, which was one hour of sparring of English Boxing by people who did Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Sanda, Savate, Full-Contact, etc...

The only difference between those classes and the normal English Boxing classes was the position of the feet, nothing more and I'm not going to say what the exact difference is because else you are going to take that to your Boxing class.

All the Boxing techniques were the same, we just had an extra version of bobbing and weaving (the one that's used in Muay Thai). So we hadn't a short cut, but a longer way.

Now you will maybe ask why Muay Thaiers had to learn the Boxing B&W when it is not really suitable for MT? The reason was that if they would fight in, for example MMA and they faced a Boxer/Wrestler type of fighter, the MT B&W would not be the best tool and probably would get their heads transformed into speedbags.

While you know your body and abilities, you will have no control over who you will be facing in the ring or octagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 4:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bend at the waist and don't stand sideways. You can get away with everything else that might be questionable as long as you don't get lazy.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    don't train circling and flicking a jab
    Aw crap. Could you elaborate on this one a bit?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast