Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Maybe I'm not being clear.

There are strengths and weaknesses to most martial arts, but some are less bullshit that others. Thats why people cross train. I am not going to compete as a boxer, I would like to compete in maybe in the distant future in MMA.

If you had a boxer and he was going into Muay Thai or even MMA, what things would you tell him to do and not to do, what would work from boxing and what would get him in trouble?

Maybe I am wrong but, 10 years later after my first boxing lesson I still punch under pressure the same way I was taught the first time in boxing years ago, and It's ingrained, that first time you learn something is stuck in there. So if anyone can offer critical analysis fo the shortfalls and weakness of boxing alone in an MMA ruleset that would be great, why take on board something you will want to change later anyway.

I know its dangerous but lets assume I am an adult and I'm not going to say to an instructor or training partner that 'I am not going to that because someone on bullshido said'
    Why dont you tell us what experiance you already have with certain MA's

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:37am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats not true at all thats your assumption. I'm not sure how you got to it.

Look, maybe lets try it this way.

If guy came in and he said Im training WC, and asked what things in WC are good for MMA.

Now I get the impression there may be one or two things that 'might' be applicable later and for him to really understand. Being WC there may be nothing.

But boxing is very well respected here. So rather than ask what it does right, which from my understanding is a lot, I asked what are the few things if any, should I keep an eye out for.

Bad habits start easy and a hard to break, and in a boxing sense may not even be a bad habit but something that would be of value to keep an eye out for.

It was not meant to be a big question but one that was of interest to me.

It's my understanding that nothing is perfect and there are people here that have experience across the board.

A simple yes with a short explanation or no would have sufficed rather than assuming what my attitude to instructors or training would be.
    Last edited by Auszi; 8/01/2011 10:44am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll admit it's a badly worded thread title.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's this:

don't train clinching=resting
    don't train 3 minute rounds
    don't train circling and flicking a jab
    don't train on hanging a jab out there as a distance-finder

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers Snake, I want to ask more questions but the consequence if I **** it up, seem too great. What you said makes sense.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers Snake, I want to ask more questions but the consequence if I **** it up, seem too great. What you said makes sense.
    No worries.

Bear in mind, folks on the site are *always* going to tell you:
    ask your coach, first.

In the Health and PT forum, they will say the same, save replace "coach" with "doctor"

After that, make your question as simple and direct and to-the-point as possible and don't take the inquiries from other posters personal. Sometimes more clarification is needed and it isn't a swipe at you, just trying to establish what your are meaning is what is being conveyed and understood.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard people say that using the waist to tilt when bobbing and weaving is problematic for MMA because you can eat a knee or get held up in a position with bad posture.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:51pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    You train Boxing as in you learn the full scope of Boxing by training Boxing under the Boxing ruleset.
    It also is the same for Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling....you learn the full scope under their ruleset.

AFTERWARDS (I have emphacized "afterwards"), you take MMA classes to learn to mix them into a mixture that suits best your abilities and the Mixed Martial Arts ruleset, but before you can do that you have to first know the full scope of each tool (MA style).
    There are no shortcuts.
    Auszi, read this quote again mate.

Box at boxing the boxing gym, throw at the Judo dojo and choke people at the BJJ class, then put it together when you do MMA otherwise you'll be **** at all of the above becouse your base is off, like me really.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    No worries.

Bear in mind, folks on the site are *always* going to tell you:
    ask your coach, first.

In the Health and PT forum, they will say the same, save replace "coach" with "doctor"

After that, make your question as simple and direct and to-the-point as possible and don't take the inquiries from other posters personal. Sometimes more clarification is needed and it isn't a swipe at you, just trying to establish what your are meaning is what is being conveyed and understood.
    Yeah no problem. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've heard people say that using the waist to tilt when bobbing and weaving is problematic for MMA because you can eat a knee or get held up in a position with bad posture.
    I read this somewhere here before, it's what prompted me to ask this question. One guys reply was that he moves his head in a more U shaped pattern rather than up and down.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:57pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for adding nothing to conversation.

So I guess the answer is boxing has no movements or techniques that will cause problems or holes when you crosstrain.

Cheers for those for those who offered advice even if I wasn't clear or maybe didn't get it.
    Actually I added what you needed to hear not what you wanted to hear.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast