Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is San Shou considered Kung Fu?

I've always wondered so I thought I'd ask. Since Kung Fu is generally considered to mean chinese martial arts, is San Shou or sanda considered a Kung Fu?

Thanks

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Why ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No reason. I've just always hear a distinction so just curious. That goes for Tai Chi as well. So i'm guessing that would be considered Kung Fu.

You'll usually see schools saying kung fu and Tai Chi or Sanda instead of simply Kung Fu

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because the typical American doesn't understand what Kung Fu means. It is the same reason they put Karate on TKD, JJJ, and Kickboxing schools.

Now, what will really mind warp you is that some Tai Chi schools, consider San Shou to be contained within the Tai Chi system!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 8:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    That's because the typical American doesn't understand what Kung Fu means. It is the same reason they put Karate on TKD, JJJ, and Kickboxing schools.
    !
    No, this is not entirely true.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 2:21am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More specifically, Kung Fu translates to "Specialized skill attained through dedicated work and practice". To my (very novice) knowledge, the closest translation to Martial Arts in Chinese is Wu Shu.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 10:25am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can San Shou be Kung fu? Yes.
    Is San Shou Kung fu? No.

You can go to a school that teaches San Shou and San Shou only. You can go to a school that teaches Nan Ying Jow and trains their fighters to compete in San Shou. A Shotokan practitioner can go and compete in a San Shou event but has only trained in Shotokan, and win the event; yet still he cannot claim to know San Shou.

If you can wrap your mind around that paragraph then your answer is there.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you noticed a trend of Kung-Fu schools that have a completely seperated line of Wushu and Sanda classes?
    Meaning that in the Wushu classes you learn the forms (hand and weapon), but nothing of that gets incorporated into the Sanda, which looks like generic Kickboxing with hip and shoulder throws.
    Even to a level that Kickboxers, Muay Thaiers, Wrestlers and Judoka are brought in as external teachers.
    How do you see that type of evolution in the long run?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 3:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Can San Shou be Kung fu? Yes.
    Is San Shou Kung fu? No.

You can go to a school that teaches San Shou and San Shou only. You can go to a school that teaches Nan Ying Jow and trains their fighters to compete in San Shou. A Shotokan practitioner can go and compete in a San Shou event but has only trained in Shotokan, and win the event; yet still he cannot claim to know San Shou.

If you can wrap your mind around that paragraph then your answer is there.
    It's like MMA. It's a ruleset, or if you want to call it a "sport". Not necessarily a style in itself. A place to compete under particular circumstances.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Depends on the school. People want to compete in forms and people want to fight. Modern wushu has zero applicability in Sanda or Sanshou. Have I read or watched schools add on a Sanda or Sanshou program? Yes.

If they are bringing in guests what's the problem exactly? MMAers, BJJers, Judoka and a myriad of other arts have seminars with outside styles as well.

Why does every kung fu discussion devolve into generic kickboxing? Name it because I see generic kickboxing in Karate, MT, TKD, kickboxing, MMA and Vale Tudo. Seriously,why even bring it up?

If you are going to answer use some real logic not any of the bullshit "kung fu is supposed to look like kung fu" claptrap garbage.
    Why would I use bullshit like "kung fu is supposed to look like kung fu", if I'm not a believer of that mentality?

I know that a system that is tailormade for the ruleset of Sanda in combination with the limitations of the human body will look like a Shootboxing style.
    This happens also in Karate, Taekwondo, etc...I wasn't making a point of that it doesn't look like "Kung-Fu" (a.k.a. Wushu).

I was trying to ask how CMAists see an evolution where CMA schools first start to shop around outside the CMAs for techniques to use in Sanda and afterwards in the CMAs.

For example, for the throwing some Sanda schools prefer to get Judo or Wrestling instructor instead of a Shuai Jiao instructor (if said Shuai Jiao instructor is available), which I find weird for a system that was developed as a way for CMA schools to compete against eachother under an unified ruleset.
    Don't get me wrong, I encourage crosstraining with other styles of different countries, but you would expect that a Sanda school would get their throwing from Shuai Jiao and then crosstrain with Judoka to improve their Sanda and not vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast