Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:29am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had most of the the things we have.

Fact is that any exercise requiring enduring consistent pain for longer than 5 minutes, particularly when it's in a fixed position, nowadays becomes a candidate for being declared 'inefficient' by people who can't do it and don't know what it's for. People who complain about horse stance are the same people who look for excuses not to go running so they can pump iron for 30 seconds and then chug down a nice sweet milkshake they insist is a much-needed 'protein supplement' instead.
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/21/2011 4:33am at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do ma bu now while writing code or listening in on phone meetings.

Not easy, but boy have I improved my concentration.

If you sit in a chair for 8-10 hours a day, there is really no excuse not to kick the chair out now and sit in ma bu for at least a good 5 minute stretch. If I have more time I'll do some standing or sitting qigong exercises too, then right back to work feeling refreshed.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/25/2011 9:30am at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on my VERY limited understanding of Hung Gar:

The brick and rope in mouth exercise is to strengthen your throat muscles so that you can take a hit from neck up better.

The weight on a roller is to strengthen your forearm so that you can grapple, Chin Na, and the basics of 'Iron Bridge' (harden forearms to bash in your opponent).

Plum Blossom Fist that I know of was originally done on logs erected 2~3 meters tall, arranged in a 'plum blossom' pattern (hence the name). The idea was to train balance and form, or get seriously hurt trying...

As for drills, it pretty easy to know if they work, just strap on some gloves and go at it with someone else. If it hurts you more then it helps, throw it out.

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 5:47pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some traditional CMA exercises have more obvious utility than others:

“Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:41am

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post

The honest answer is I don't know if the drills shown in video 5 lead on to more realistic sparring, or how helpful they are, because I've never trained or sparred with a Southern Mantis practitioner.

You can't learn to fight without sparring with hard contact.
    ^This always this^

Its happy slappy and complaint drilling - they may spar harder and properly without the convenient pauses to look good. Going full noise with mantis on mantis tends to short be short lived for one or 'tother. Or it gravitates quickly towards boxing - its very hard to trap and smash an agile opponent with a jab for keeping you at bay. Never understood the appeal of things hanging off a wall - unless it a heavy bag. Good arm conditioning from just smashing each others arms with technique does the job.
    Last edited by Hexe; 9/20/2011 7:46am at .

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 11:38am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A lot of people have already commented on the wrist roller exercise but i'll add this because I'm not sure anyone was getting at this variation specifically. In one of Pavel's books "The Naked Warrior" I think is the one, he mentions to perform the wrist roller while standing on a bench or something high with your arms at the sides or touching your body. Holding both arms extended away from your body like the video whether bent or straight brings more muscle groups into the mix which are likely to tire before your forearms. By keeping the arms down while holding the handle you can lift heavier weight and focus more on the forearms- according to Pavel.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

A lot of people have already commented on the wrist roller exercise but i'll add this because I'm not sure anyone was getting at this variation specifically. In one of Pavel's books "The Naked Warrior" I think is the one, he mentions to perform the wrist roller while standing on a bench or something high with your arms at the sides or touching your body. Holding both arms extended away from your body like the video whether bent or straight brings more muscle groups into the mix which are likely to tire before your forearms. By keeping the arms down while holding the handle you can lift heavier weight and focus more on the forearms- according to Pavel.
    Yep I do this one at least daily now. It is much harder than it looks.

Also easy to add weight for progressing.

This is basically a great, simple exercise machine you can build for about $20 (or $0 if you're crafty).
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/20/2011 11:45am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12