Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 12:21am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training against bigger guys BJJ?

I'm pretty bored at the moment, so I thought I would ask a question thats been going around in my mind.

Are there benefits with always training against bigger stronger opponents in BJJ?

(vs mixed or smaller)

The way I was thinking is that if your against someone who is bigger and stronger than yourself, you would have to develop good technique as you wouldn't be able to force a submission through strength or size. Plus you would develop more strength and stamina. All this would translate over to smaller oppenents if switched later.

Is this correct?

Interested to hear feedback

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 12:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training against larger opponents can be good but you have to be careful that they are not too much of a beginner or they can hurt you if you are not advanced enough. Its always good for beginners to train with more advanced large guys and it allows you too learn how to move from underneath their weight. A lot of shrimping and using your knees to keep the guys weight off, thats the key...keep his weight off FAAAR AWAY.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 1:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training against bigger and/or stronger people, that won't hurt you, is always beneficial. Note the emphasis.

Let me ask you this, if the only people you ever train against are bigger/stronger, how will you deal with the light and mobile guy when you finally run into him?

A person 40 pounds lighter than me taught me some of the most important lessons I've ever learned in grappling.

Edit: Ahem, at the risk of sounding like a dirty hippy, a person can learn from almost anyone. Speaking from 15 years experience, sometimes grappling newbs do crazy stuff that teaches me something. Other times, problem solving for "younger in the art" students deepens my own understanding.
    Last edited by jnp; 7/31/2011 1:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 1:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see you point, that was my thought about the fast little guy, I was just considering the benefits at least for a beginner like me that the gains might be greater, focusing on going against bigger guys. Whereas later on, mixing up more.

Ill will keep in mind your point about guys that wont hurt me, I gather this is a real issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 4:51am

Style: Learning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love training with my mate who's 4 stone heavier than me when we go to judo. makes sure i can't muscle my way through the throws, forces me to learn technique. On the the other hand you do still need to learn from smaller people too...

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:04am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not BJJ but IMO ground work in Judo is similar enough to draw parralels

I was the smallest man in our club and had to fight bigger men all the time. I find it physically and psycologically gruelling, but I have learnt to hold my own, and get the sub
    This year some lighter guys (and girl) have joined the club and I have to say it is a great relief to fight someone in my own weight catagory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doof, how was the experience, when the first time with someone lighter?

Did you feel that you had an advantage, any pro's con's you experienced?

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hard to say as the lighter members were also noobs,
    but I felt confident and relaxed before the fight began, and way more proactive during the fight

I definately felt I had the advantage

Pro's- Fighting the big lads has made me far more adept at submissions, as I find trying a hold down on someone way heavier risky, and training above my weigt catagory has made me stronger and less likely to get claustraphobic when the under dog

Can't realy think of any con's other than over confidence

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 11:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knock on wood at over 240 I've managed not to hurt anyone so far. Always training against bigger guys is probably not a great game plan. Smaller guys are quicker, usually more flexible, and generally employ different stategies than big guys. Training against a variety of opponents is usually the best gameplan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hard to say as the lighter members were also noobs,
    but I felt confident and relaxed before the fight began, and way more proactive during the fight

I definately felt I had the advantage

Pro's- Fighting the big lads has made me far more adept at submissions, as I find trying a hold down on someone way heavier risky, and training above my weigt catagory has made me stronger and less likely to get claustraphobic when the under dog

Can't realy think of any con's other than over confidence
    That's kind what I was assuming might be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Knock on wood at over 240 I've managed not to hurt anyone so far. Always training against bigger guys is probably not a great game plan. Smaller guys are quicker, usually more flexible, and generally employ different stategies than big guys. Training against a variety of opponents is usually the best gameplan.
    I wouldn't say always but at least at the beginning it seems, from what people are saying, that there is a benefit. Just to pick your partners so they don't hurt you. I guess there is the issue as well as the trained big guys don't want to practice with a smaller noob. Even if there is a chance the might learn something.

(In my case, probably not)

Cheers for the feedback.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast