Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 6:50pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing Equipment questions!

Recently, I got a pair of these gloves after hearing the coach praise them (Lonsdale Fight Gloves). Aftwards though, I got a bit worried now since I have heard some people say that fight gloves are only meant to used in competition and not suitable for sparring in class as it wears down faster. If I must say myself, I always thought fight gloves to be more expensive (above $100), have laces and comes with big patches of white at its front so that point counting during matches are easier. That is why I never knew that these could potentially be fight gloves until I saw the words on this website. Quesiton is, are these really fight gloves and if so, should I still use them? I am short on cash and have lost the receipt, exchanging will be quite hard

Second is, I am nearly ready for sparring. I have a pair of bag gloves, the gloves I mentioned above, a water bottle, a towel, a spare shirt and deodrant in my spare bag. Obviously, I need a mouthpiece but except for that, do I need anything else?

Thanks everyone!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those don't look like actual fight gloves, so you should be fine with them.

you're right about fight gloves having laces, but only the gloves for amateurs have the white patches over the knuckles. those look like sparring/training gloves to me.

i've said it before but it bears repeating:

bag gloves - designed to protect your hands but not the object getting hit (the bag) also to be durable

sparring/training gloves - designed to protect your hands and your sparring partner

fight gloves - designed to protect your hands, and to provide the minimum amount of protection for your opponent that is allowable by the sanctioning org. not designed to be durable at all.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:00pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are planning on fighting get gloves the same size (weight) as what you are fighting in. Pissy little bag gloves are usually for people that dont box, they will probably break and do you damage before a decent pair of 10 or 8oz.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    If you are planning on fighting get gloves the same size (weight) as what you are fighting in. Pissy little bag gloves are usually for people that dont box, they will probably break and do you damage before a decent pair of 10 or 8oz.
    actually, no.

what i used to do, and what every other coach i know does, is to have their fighter work with gloves 2oz heavier or more than the weight of the gloves they will be fighting with. and of course they wore training gloves

the reason for that was twofold:

1) heavier gloves build endurance and, in the actual fight the gloves will be lighter, so the hands will feel light, be faster and easier to keep up

2) heavier gloves are easier on your sparring partners, so you can hit them harder safely and no one gets injured and has to miss a fight.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So should I exchange them?

I've got 10zs because I am only 5"3 and the gloves already swallow up three quarters of my forearm :P
    Last edited by Katriona1992; 7/29/2011 10:36pm at .

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    So should I exchange them?
    they'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    those don't look like actual fight gloves, so you should be fine with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    actually, no.

what i used to do, and what every other coach i know does, is to have their fighter work with gloves 2oz heavier or more than the weight of the gloves they will be fighting with. and of course they wore training gloves

the reason for that was twofold:

1) heavier gloves build endurance and, in the actual fight the gloves will be lighter, so the hands will feel light, be faster and easier to keep up

2) heavier gloves are easier on your sparring partners, so you can hit them harder safely and no one gets injured and has to miss a fight.
    Actually yes. Everything you do except sparring should be in decent 10 oz. so that when you fight you feel normal. I added 8 oz before because she probably has small hands, my wife prefers them.
    Your theory of wearing 2oz higher is o.k. but not for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 3:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man I'm dumb and everyone can see it. I stopped and thought about it and I've unwittingly been using your theory all along- train 10s & fight in 8s. Yeah yeah I know stfu noob and post less. I've got a personal favourite- Its better to be quiet and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not trying to piss anyone off, but isn't training in what I am going to fight in more realistic than training with bigger gloves? I get the faster-hands-on-the-day bit, but wouldn't my guard be too loose as well because I've gotten used to blocking with larger gloves?

Thanks for the replies guys

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Not trying to piss anyone off, but isn't training in what I am going to fight in more realistic than training with bigger gloves? I get the faster-hands-on-the-day bit, but wouldn't my guard be too loose as well because I've gotten used to blocking with larger gloves?

Thanks for the replies guys
    2oz has never been enough of a size difference to be a problem for anyone i coached, but yes, in fact, in an ideal situation you could change up the glove size sometimes, to get used to the fight gloves as well.

you really need to ask your coach, because if they are any good, they have a plan for your training before they put you into the ring.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast