Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 10:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deep Half Guard in MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    It's a game that wins at the top level in MMA, sport BJJ and submission wrestling (and has been doing so for a while). Obviously it's not always going to be quite as popular as it is right now, being the 'in' thing.
    Deep half guard is being used consistently in high level mma competition? Really? It seems to me there's more examples of 720 kicks being used in mixed martial arts than deep half guard.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 10:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Deep half guard is being used consistently in high level mma competition? Really? It seems to me there's more examples of 720 kicks being used in mixed martial arts than deep half guard.
    Do not derail this thread with a side discussion, or I'll ask Coach Josh to plant your head in the ground.

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot this was in AdGrap. By my own rules, it must be moved.
    Last edited by jnp; 7/28/2011 10:14pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 10:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 1:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So advanced grappling forum is for grappling only, and discussions of mma go elsewhere? I sincerely think deep half, while fine for a bjj or submion wrestling match, is one of those positions like x guard or inverted guard, if the guy on top can throw strikes the risks far outweigh the potential rewards. I am sure there are people who have pulled. it off in mma or the deadly streets, but it's like Anthony Petittis landing cartwheel kicks in the ufc, that doesn't mean we can throw boxing out the window and put Only The strong on loop for our striking instructional.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 1:13am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go on...
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 4:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch Fabricio Werdum, either Nogueira, Wilson Reis, Jake Shields (especially against Henderson), Jeff Monson etc. etc.

P.S. Lots of people have used x-guard successfully as well. In either position it's hard to hit the guy because you're off-balance, you're mechanically weak striking at that angle and he's already sweeping you. Neither is a 'position' in the same sense as closed guard is, where you might be hanging out looking for something, the entry to deep half or x is like 3/4 of the battle.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 7/29/2011 4:27am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 9:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Werdum vs Big foot and Lil Nog vs Jason Brilz right? Like I said, some guys may have swept from there, but still. As it's been shown to me, the bottom man has both hands controlling the top man's legs while his head lies flat against the floor. There are many examples of guys scoring reversals from the bottom mounted position as well, does that mean we need to have white belts drilling entries into under the mount?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, some guys may have swept from there, but still. As it's been shown to me, the bottom man has both hands controlling the top man's legs while his head lies flat against the floor. There are many examples of guys scoring reversals from the bottom mounted position as well, does that mean we need to have white belts drilling entries into under the mount?
    Please show me some film of an MMA fight where a guy got stopped or seriously hurt with punches while in the deep half guard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 1:31pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Werdum vs Big foot and Lil Nog vs Jason Brilz right? Like I said, some guys may have swept from there, but still. As it's been shown to me, the bottom man has both hands controlling the top man's legs while his head lies flat against the floor.
    Not flat on the floor.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 11:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Please show me some film of an MMA fight where a guy got stopped or seriously hurt with punches while in the deep half guard.
    The only instances of deep half being used in mma I can find are the two I mentioned above, and both fights involved a fighter who had a much better grappling pedigree than his opponent. I started to make the same challenge to you regarding cartwheel kicks, but then i remembered Allan Goes vs Mark Coleman.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast