Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 1:04pm

Style: Wushu, Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Yes, they butcher the Japanese language. When you're at the dojo, the pronunciation sounds more like a Pentecostal revival meeting than anything approaching Japanese.

The odd thing is, they seem to think Japanese is pretty important. Every time you leave the dojo, you're supposed to bow and say one paragraph's worth of Japanese.

My Japanese friend watched the video, and his response was, "RI-oo?! RI-oo?! It's pronounced REE-oo! They can't even pronounce the name of my dog correctly!"

I also asked him what the word "Oos!" means in Japanese, and he doesn't have a clue.
    I believe Oos! is Osu! Which is just something they say in Karate...that symbolizes "to power through with determination" ? or something like that. I remember hearing about it while I was looking in to Kyoukushin.

http://www.dupreekyokushin.com/pages/osu.html

I mean, if you're going to be a dojo that doesn't actually teach their members how to truly fight, there's a lot of gimmicky things that you could offer to actually give them a reason to waste their time there...for example, actual Japanese-language instruction, so native speakers understand what the hell you're saying.

Off topic: I'm going to check out a few schools today, and see what they're all about. One of them seems super McDojo-y, but may have a bit of legitimacy to it.
    Last edited by bjaxct; 8/09/2011 1:06pm at . Reason: added link

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA / JJ / WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love how they have some "Biff tannen" documentaries about him...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yawn...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 12:56am

Style: Pankration/ muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha ha I remember purple dragon!! I trained to the main dojo in Trinidad as a kid. I actually live in Vancouver, but after reading this, I'm going to avoid this place like the plague.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213