Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried watching the video without sound. I made it to 41 seconds. I'll try again in the morrow.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 2:38am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    4 pages of this and no sycophantic defense from some kool-aid drinking student or instructor? I'm almost impressed
    Hell, put me in the fully impressed column. Usually they come in the first page, second page tops. By now, I'd expect to have had someone with a username claiming to be the founder in here defending their school.

Quote Originally Posted by bjaxct View Post
    Purple Dragon video observations:

2:18- Raiden

3:15- Needed to cue the guitar solo for the Rush Hour 2 reinactment

3:58- Gohan from DBZ kicking ass

4:30- Apparently spinning upside down with a kendo stick is an adequate way to defeat 6 attackers

4:40- Proof lunge punches work

Anyways, sitting through the whole video made me extremely uncomfortable with the whole concept of the school and even more so after seeing the dojo review.

It's actually scary imagining these people being in combat situations.
    You guys are tough sons of bitches. I think I made it to 35 seconds. 40 tops.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 8:07am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This doesn't necessarily mean they're Bullshido, but this does. The Caribbean Martial Arts Hall of Fame has Sensei Daniel Jacob listed as an inductee of a Lifetime Achievement Award. Just who runs the Caribbean Martial Arts Hall of Fame? "Purple Dragon Don Jitsu Ryu System".
    And I note under their listing for the Board of Directors, Jacobs is listed as "Professor Don Jacob, H.B.M." - what the heck is H.B.M.?

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    And I note under their listing for the Board of Directors, Jacobs is listed as "Professor Don Jacob, H.B.M." - what the heck is H.B.M.?
    Huge Black Man?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 8:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Humming Bird Medal.
    http://www.medals.org.uk/trinidad/trinidad003.htm

http://www.newsday.co.tt/day/1,44367.html

MINISTER of Sport and Youth Affairs Anil Roberts, left, admires the Humming Bird Medal awarded to Don Jacobs for his contribution to sport yesterday at Queen's Hall in Port-of-Spain. Also honoured in the Independence Day Awards were cricketer Andy Ganteaume and the national women's cricket team.
    Author: AZLAN MOHAMMED
    Why would one make a contribution to sport when sport isn't real?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 8:47am

Style: Wushu, Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Humming Bird Medal.
    http://www.medals.org.uk/trinidad/trinidad003.htm

http://www.newsday.co.tt/day/1,44367.html

Why would one make a contribution to sport when sport isn't real?
    Well, karate is real and considered a sport...and I'm assuming Don Jitsu Roo is some form of karate, which means like...it means something.

I don't understand McDojos. Why don't they just offer "martial arts-like" classes, i.e: Flashy pseudo-martial arts attacks and martial arts choreography!

My wushu school offered a martial arts choreography class (which I never took) and a martial arts acrobatics classes. I don't consider it a mcdojo, because it never touted anything about self defense and obviously knew it was a(n) (artsy, competitive, but non-physical) legitimate wushu school.

They also had a kickboxing class, which I never attended, but I imagine that'd be for the more combat oriented members. I wish I did now.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, karate is real and considered a sport...and I'm assuming Don Jitsu Roo is some form of karate, which means like...it means something.
    They're trying to say "Ryu":

This is a Roo:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 12:05pm

Style: Wushu, Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    They're trying to say "Ryu":

This is a Roo:

I do realize that, but there's also absolutely no denying that they pronounce it completely wrong during the course of the almost 7 minute long song.

Not once do they pronounce Ryu (Ree You) as Ryu. I'm quite convinced though, I did see someone attempt a tatsumaki senpuu kyaku.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 12:52pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do realize that, but there's also absolutely no denying that they pronounce it completely wrong during the course of the almost 7 minute long song.

Not once do they pronounce Ryu (Ree You) as Ryu. I'm quite convinced though, I did see someone attempt a tatsumaki senpuu kyaku.
    Yes, they butcher the Japanese language. When you're at the dojo, the pronunciation sounds more like a Pentecostal revival meeting than anything approaching Japanese.

The odd thing is, they seem to think Japanese is pretty important. Every time you leave the dojo, you're supposed to bow and say one paragraph's worth of Japanese.

My Japanese friend watched the video, and his response was, "RI-oo?! RI-oo?! It's pronounced REE-oo! They can't even pronounce the name of my dog correctly!"

I also asked him what the word "Oos!" means in Japanese, and he doesn't have a clue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 1:00pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Yes, they butcher the Japanese language. When you're at the dojo, the pronunciation sounds more like a Pentecostal revival meeting than anything approaching Japanese.

The odd thing is, they seem to think Japanese is pretty important. Every time you leave the dojo, you're supposed to bow and say one paragraph's worth of Japanese.

My Japanese friend watched the video, and his response was, "RI-oo?! RI-oo?! It's pronounced REE-oo! They can't even pronounce the name of my dog correctly!"

I also asked him what the word "Oos!" means in Japanese, and he doesn't have a clue.
    I was going to ask about "Oos" I have heard it in quite a few dojos, I think I even heard it in a TKD school once, anyone know where it came from?
    Last edited by Pharabus; 8/09/2011 1:01pm at . Reason: spelling
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast