Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 5:20pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    Sounds like you spend too much time turtled up.
    Bah humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    I've had friction/mat burns on my feet, armpits, around my neck and on my damn face before... but never elbows.

What were you doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm going to guess he was doing mat pulls.
    If mat pulls are dragging myself along with just forearms , yes. Competative mat pulls are just asking for PAIN. Got burns on the tops of my toes from the same exersize once aswell

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    If mat pulls are dragging myself along with just forearms , yes. Competative mat pulls are just asking for PAIN. Got burns on the tops of my toes from the same exersize once aswell
    yeah those are mat pulls. i have heard stories of japanese judo students doing mat pulls until their elbows bled if that puts it into perspective.

to me it sounds like you may be using only your elbows to pull yourself. i would suggest trying to use your entire forearm from fists to elbows to pull yourself. i also wear ankle supports (mostly because i have arthritic ankles, but also because they protect my insteps from mat burn during mat pulls.) i try to keep my toes just off the mat, but if i keep my feet off the mat, then sensei notices and yells at me :)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 8:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you use your feet for those?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Don't you use your feet for those?

looks like some people do, but at my dojo we don't
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 2:33am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post

looks like some people do, but at my dojo we don't
    Damn! From that video I can completely see how someone can get burns on their elbows. You're not supposed to pull yourself up with your elbows. Your whole forearm is used, just as you said.

It seems easier to dig your elbows in. You'll pay later obviously.

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 3:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of coarse the injury occoured because I was to proud to be beaten by the young fellas at the club, so I went as fast as I could, sacrificing my personal safety...but I won!

The use of the feet is also frowned upon at our club, but I might put in a bit of toe action when no one is looking

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Returned to judo after a summer lay off to become a cage fighter

After the class I noticed that I had skinned three knucles!

Twas sore for days

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 3:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KENPO,MUAY THAI,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice thread I am starting Judo for the first time this Friday.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 4:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttraingray View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I'll be checking out some classes with a friend soon. I'll get a feeling for it, and I'll try my best to stay within my limits. I'm not in shape currently, so I will definitely take it easy and ramp it up piece by piece, day by day...

While I'm on the topic, are there any particularly good ways to build stronger joints/bones? Particular exercises, foods or supplements? Additionally, is weight training advisable in tandem with judo? I am interested in becoming a strong person!

Any replies are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: @philmgriffin Knee injuries eh? Do tell.
    Best thing is to find a club where they will train you gradually. The main problem I see is that beginners, especially adult beginners, go in all gung ho and over extend themselves, and get injured within a few weeks or months.

Take it gradually. If you go into a club and they throw you into randori (sparring) right away then reconsider training there.

I had a student who was a very gifted professional piano player. As in playing gigs with well known jazz musicians in New Orleans, as well as being an attorney. He was a brown belt. He eventually gave up Judo because of worry over his hands.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 5:48pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about hyperextension from arm bars? I got a bad elbow injury from being too brave against an arm bar - not great :(
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast