Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 2:45pm

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Good advice

Funnily enough my mallet finger (now repaired thank god) was gained playing a warm up game with the junior class!
    Most of my bleeding in judo ('cept torn nails and such) has been the result of warm up games. Nose, nose, lip, nose, lip. In that order, and there'll be more :-)

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bleeding's not an injury, unless it doesn't stop on its own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 6:19pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only serious martial arts injuries were from judo. Cracked collarbone and a dislocated shoulder, both from a large yellow belt doing a really sloppy tomoe nage. That being said, do judo. Way too much fun to pass up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I have been hurt more throwing and being thrown slowly than at regular speeds with clean technique. I swear, the more my training partner and I try to be gentle the more we crash into each other and/or land badly.
    That's not to say you try to bury Uke in the floorboards by any means, but trust in both your and their Ukemi enough to do the throw right. And if the impacts are getting to you, that's why you have crash pads.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 6:42pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 2 years of Judo, i've broken the third meta carpel in my left hand and ripped open my left big toe.

The nurse that stitched me up said that toe injuries were pretty common in Judo.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Balls View Post
    My only serious martial arts injuries were from judo. Cracked collarbone and a dislocated shoulder, both from a large yellow belt doing a really sloppy tomoe nage. That being said, do judo. Way too much fun to pass up.
    I have only been injured once grappling, and only because I insisted upon holding someone in the scissors that I should have let go. The vast majority were krotty.

I have, however, injured a number of people while grappling.

I don't go %100 anymore.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 12:20pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Good advice

Funnily enough my mallet finger (now repaired thank god) was gained playing a warm up game with the junior class!
    From what I understand mallet finger is caused by wearing a brace on an injured finger too long. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine who cut his finger. If I break a finger or a toe I resort to buddy taping.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    From what I understand mallet finger is caused by wearing a brace on an injured finger too long. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine who cut his finger. If I break a finger or a toe I resort to buddy taping.
    Mallet Finger has many different causes. The doctor who treated me asked if I played rugby.
    I can see how over use of a splint could weaken the extensor tendon

I was disscussing my injury with the sensei (60+ years old, judoing for 50 of those). He showed me his fingers...what a mess!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 2:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A variation of Judo was using my samurai under close combat where a katana was rendered useless. Needless to say, the samurai would use this Judo-style to throw their opponent to the ground, in an attempt to land them, and all their heavy armor ****, on their necks. The idea was to end the battle in one fell swoop of one said Judo-like technique.

So, if you are practicing JUDO, there's always a chance that someone will break your neck if they throw you too hard. But as for being likely... well, I don't believe so.

Just do good breakfalls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 8:47pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulFellow View Post
    A variation of Judo was using my samurai under close combat where a katana was rendered useless. Needless to say, the samurai would use this Judo-style to throw their opponent to the ground, in an attempt to land them, and all their heavy armor ****, on their necks. The idea was to end the battle in one fell swoop of one said Judo-like technique.

So, if you are practicing JUDO, there's always a chance that someone will break your neck if they throw you too hard. But as for being likely... well, I don't believe so.

Just do good breakfalls.
    Allow me to be the first to say,,,

WUT?????
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast