Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 9:14pm

Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 2 weeks, I'll be going in for my 6th joint surgery in 9 years. That doesn't include any of the injuries that didn't require surgery (maybe should've, but didn't), e.g. herniated disks, broken elbow, cracked shoulder, sprained/broken ankles (12x), twisted knees, chipped teeth, sprained fingers, thumbs, not to mention the ears!

But hey, don't let that stop you. It's still fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's helpful. I'll have to think it all over and decide whether it's too risky for me. We'll see!

This isn't exactly a related question, but what about a sport like boxing? Assuming I wear the proper safety gear during sparring, what are the likely injuries? I'd hazard a guess and say nose/jaw/concussion type stuff, right?

Thanks again.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 1:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    3rd degree? ouch. how long were you out for? i was off the mat for 6 weeks with a 1st degree, and even now i'm not in randori yet.
    I did it in March last year and was back doing randori by June/July of last year. Although I probably came back too soon, because I've been consistently re-injuring and having problems with it since.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelman61 View Post
    In 2 weeks, I'll be going in for my 6th joint surgery in 9 years. That doesn't include any of the injuries that didn't require surgery (maybe should've, but didn't), e.g. herniated disks, broken elbow, cracked shoulder, sprained/broken ankles (12x), twisted knees, chipped teeth, sprained fingers, thumbs, not to mention the ears!

But hey, don't let that stop you. It's still fun!
    Maybe its time you got some matts

You've earned it ;)

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 7:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosttraingray View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's helpful. I'll have to think it all over and decide whether it's too risky for me. We'll see!

This isn't exactly a related question, but what about a sport like boxing? Assuming I wear the proper safety gear during sparring, what are the likely injuries? I'd hazard a guess and say nose/jaw/concussion type stuff, right?

Thanks again.
    broken nose, cauliflower ears, and of course the legendary and very common "boxer's fracture"

"Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 10:51am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ghosttraingray, at the club I go to there are plenty of guys in their 40's, 50's and even early 60's who are still actively training and engaging in Randori and they have been doing the same their entire adult lives and they are in great shape.

OK, a couple of them them have dodgy ears and occasionaly they give it a 'oh me bones!' but all old people do that so that is nothing unnatural.

Judo has lots of awesome old guys, so that should give you a good indication of long term affects.

My experience so far is that the spazzing new guy is the greatest risk that I have faced, they have slapped my face, twisted my fingers, injured my shoulder and kicked me in the penis. But they don't last long anyway usually.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:32pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive only been training judo for two and a half years now, twice a week and im yet to sustain any injuries that have caused me to have any time off of work and i work in construction.

When i did semi contact taekwondo i broke some toes when doing a sloppy round house kick which got blocked by my opponents elbow! Tore ligements in both ankles playing football ( soccer ) but touch wood nothing so far in judo.

Theres a few guys who i train with who work as police officers, an engineer and other various manual workers who i asked the same question your asking and they all said that in their opinion the injury rate in judo was no high than in any other contact sport that they have previously played i.e. football, rugby.

The way i see it is that its inevitable that you will get injured at some point in your life whether its doing judo, a work accident or car accident etc you cant live life worring about injury. Lifes not a dress rehearsal, you only get one shot at it so if you've allways wanted to do judo, martials arts or any other sport just go for it you never know it might become your passion and IF you do get injured then you may choose to re evaluate your decision.

You could always try and save a lil bit of money just incase you need time off of work or get some personal injury insurance?

Do any of the UK bullys know of anytype of sports injury/ personal injury insurance that covers judo here in the UK as its something i keep meaning to look into.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 9:03pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, if you're nervous about injury you'll be more likely to get injured. You'll be tense, afraid, and not think clearly.

Judo and most martial arts are 100% chance of injury. It's not if, it's when.

I think the most common injuries when starting out are strains and sprains.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 3:16am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    Firstly, if you're nervous about injury you'll be more likely to get injured. You'll be tense, afraid, and not think clearly.
    I agree.
    I think 'relax' is good advice generally

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 1:48pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being relaxed just takes time. I honestly believe that you have to reach the point of trust. You can't relax if you don't trust your partner. If you're the type that doesn't trust people outright, it will take longer. It's hard to trust people you don't know.

Seems to me, that if you can get to know the people around you, everything else will come easy.

Hmmmm, maybe this is one of the most neglected facts for Judo. We all talk about time with training, and training making you better. Maybe it's trusting the folks you train with. If you trust them to throw you, it's easier to learn how to fall. If you learn how to fall without fear you'll progress.

Damn! Ain't Judo a beautiful thing?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast