Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I love oatmeal, though I've never had steel cut oats.
    It used to be just Quaker Quick Oats.
    Then I started buying the Kashi oatmeal packs and thought I was in oatmeal heaven with quality leaps and bounds...until this McCann's business.

The quality is noticeable, it is thicker and more creamy and much more filling. A simple crock of 1:4 cups, oat to water mixture, makes a solid 4-6 servings.

Again, if you think to make it the night before it is good to go in the AM. Otherwise, you can soak the oats overnight and boil them in the morning.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:05pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    That's a breakfast that will get you through a morning of hard labor
    I find if I eat only porrige for breakfast I regret it by elevensies

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat a very large bowl...

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    elevensies
    are you a Hobbit?

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    I eat a very large bowl...

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you a Hobbit?
    On my fathers side
    My mother was a giant

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 10:44am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    On a whim, I picked up four tins of McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal during an Amazon Gold Box deal. When I think about it, the night before, I will put a cup of the oats in a metal bowl with 4 cups of water and a dash of natural vanilla extract and then put that bowl into a water filled Crock Pot and slow cook them overnight. Next morning, I add some fruit and a dash of Omega-3 milk and it is just awesome.

If you put them directly into the Crock Pot, you run the chance of them burning along the edges and it makes for easier cleanup.
    Crock Pot on low?

If I'm sans crock-pot just soak them overnight in 4 cups water then boil?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 8:26pm

Style: Freestyle Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eat whole foods and train hard.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 11:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Crock Pot on low?
    yes.
    even then, they are essentially cooking for 7-8 hrs and you'll occasionally get side stickage.

If I'm sans crock-pot just soak them overnight in 4 cups water then boil?
    Boil 4 cups of water, add one cup oats, boil both together for about a minute, then take off the stove, let it cool then put in the fridge overnight. Next AM, take out of the fridge and then simmer for about 10 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 5:12am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I quickly skimmed this thread and didn't see anyone hit on what I am about throw in. A few years back, I was doing a modified Atkin's, style of low-carb diet to lose weight. An RN in one of our hospital units, overheard me refuse some food from someone, and that someone remark about my Low-Carb program. She told me to go no further with my diet till I read a book called"Protein Power Life Plan" by Dr.s Mary and Michael Eades. I read this book while working the night watch on a post where I basically sat at an access gate inside the institution waiting for an alarm or general work call for early morning kitchen workers.

I put this knowledge to use and cut a tremendous amount of weight in a short amount of time. I experimented and this is what I have found.

If you are training moderately hard, that is you actually workout not just do a set then talk then maybe do another, an you have a good cardio routine, calories aren't that important to track. The six or seven meal thing only applies if you are training; not if you are basically sedentary, or not seriously working out. If all you do is go to a martial arts class once or twice a week, that's not working out or seriously training. If you are in the MMA gym for at least three days a week and running in between, you are training and could benefit from the six or seven meal regimen.

Breakfast, is of paramount importance. What is more important is what you eat for breakfast. A breakfast that has saturated fats in it will leave you content afterward, and you will be less hungry the rest of the day, or at least till lunch or your first snack. If you are a man and weigh between 180 to 220lbs you should eat a minimum of 120 grams of protein a day. When I was training hard a few years ago, My breakfast consisted of six over easy eggs and a drink made from .5cup black berries,.5cup blue berries,.5 cup rasberries, and .5 cup strawberries, mixed in a blender with one cup water. I drank that while cooking my eggs. If I added meat to my meal, I removed eggs so my meal was about 40grams of protein. The berry drink goes in first to pave the way for what you will eat. The fiber in them helps your bowels move.

After breakfast is a training session, and after is a "meal" This meal is more a snack. I use a zero carb 25grams of protein protein shake, and a bottle of water, or 16oz. Then is another training session followed by lunch which is a 40grams of protein serving of meat preferably red meat, because red meat has more of the amino acids you need, and a .5 cup of green salad, with another bottle of water or 16oz.

After about two or three hours, it's snack time again. Another protein shake and water.

Two or three hours after that it's dinner time and another 40g portion of meat or fish and another .5 cup of green salad with water.

two or three hours after dinner, final snack of protein shake or small portion maybe 20g portion of red meat. and water.

I know low=carbs are controversial to some, but I never felt as good as I did when on this plan. I went from 238lbs to 190lbs from May 2003 to July 2003. I went off it after I met my Wife and we became friends and became a couple of fat kid foodies. I was eating anything and everything and what took just two and half three months to cut off, took over six years to put back on. That's with very little working out too. So before anyone starts with the whole "that was just water weight" claim it took over six years to gain back. It took a year and a half to get over 205.

If you aren't training hard though, cut out the three snacks eat a breakfast like described, and you can drop about three pounds the first two days, then at least 1.5 pounds a day for the next seven days and at least a pound a day there after till you plateau somewhere around the mid third week. If you haven't reached your goal time to start working out, or your weight loss will slow to maybe two pounds a month.

If you are too close to your "ideal" body weight you won't drop weight that drastic. I would say if you are within say twenty pounds of ideal you may only drop one pound a month by just doing this meal plan. To lose more you have to train too.

I never cared about calories so never counted them. With the food that was eaten maybe the calories took care of themselves. I don't know. All I know is, I consumed less than 15g of carbs a day and over the minimum 120g of protein.

I have some injuries right now and I weigh about 230lbs. As soon as I'm healed up, I'm hitting the program again. It is harder when married with kids though. I use this meal plan to cut weight a few years ago from 220 to 210 in less than a week.

I suggest reading the book, it has different levels of their plan, or you can use the information and create your own meal plan.

A word of warning though. On beginning on the third day, at least for me and a couple of partners I have had, you may get a sick feeling. Headache and cold sweats. This is normal and usually subsides in a day or maybe day and a half. This is like detox like you are kicking a drug or something. It's not as severe as detoxing off a drug and you don't need to be hospitalized for it but I would workout light on that day. You really won't be feeling it, and this is where most people quit. There is a chapter in the book that explains there are enzymes in grains similar to opiates and it is the body going through withdrawal and detoxing off these enzymes.

Also, don't fall for the "carbs are the preferred fuel of your body" thing. If you want to speed up your metabolism, you need to eat proteins and fats. Your body burns these immediately. If you eat fat your body doesn't store it, and releases enzymes to burn it. What happens with these enzymes in your system you actually burn fat as you sleep. Plus, I contend, if carbs were the preferred or ideal fuel for your body, why doesn't your body store carbs instead of fat? It would seem to me, if carbs were the ideal and preferred fuel wouldn't carbs be the first things burned and not stored as fat? You don't store carbs you store fat. You don't see an obese person and say hey, look at the carb person. You say look at the fat person. The body chooses fat as it's fuel of choice to store energy.

Bottom line if you eat enough protein and cut carbs you will lose weight even without rigorous exercise. Eating a healthy breakfast of bacon and eggs will keep you satisfied longer and you won't be tempted by other foods before lunch. And at lunch you will be satisfied and content till dinner.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast