Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 5:55pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I am not doing a days labouring I will have my 5 a day pieces of fruit between breakfast and lunch
    The advantage is I get my fruit requirement into me and keep my energy levels at reasonable level
    If I am labouring I like to start with a kipper or egg sandwich, then spread the 5 fruit portions out before lunch

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 4:59pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Porridge.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    good mixture of fruits, proteins and yogurts will jump start your metabolism...at least from my experience.
    I can vouch for this. Fresh fruit in non-fat yogurt and a protein shake in the AM 6 days a week works great.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 7:17pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Porridge.
    This is actually spot on, an overweight relative of mine has been diagnosed with a misfiring heart, and because he was a bit rotund, advised he should lose weight, and he has, he cut out all complex carbs except porridge, as its allowed due to it's low GI, and he dropped a lot of weight.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 10:41pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez, I saw this and since reading through I'll probably forget what things I want to respond to. I really wish I had citations for studies and such so this isn't any sort of "oh **** conflicting info gurus" sort of deal, but I'll try to post links to studies/reviews. I can tell you with much confidence that most of what I'm saying is recalled from research or is directly from research.

If you have the care and the time, you may be better off to read this http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

1. Calories in vs. calories out is the most important thing for weight loss. Anyone who thinks it doesn't matter doesn't understand physics.

2. Unless your diet intentionally includes fasting (intermittent fasting) then I think eating breakfast always makes sense. Research is available showing that people who eat breakfast during weight loss programs tend to be more successful in a statistically significant way.

The chief reasons for this are compliance and to have energy for the day. I simply don't like the idea of running on empty especially if you're the type who gets grumpy or unfocused from hunger. Generally when skipping breakfast, your lunch/dinner are compensated with large extra amounts of food because you "deserve it".

3. I don't think there's anything to "jump starting your metabolism" nor is there any research that says meal frequency "stokes your metabolism". Caloric monitoring studies have demonstrated near identical caloric balance from competing groups of frequent vs "standard" eating patterns in lab controlled studies. Frequent smaller meals may have benefits for diabetics, pre-diabetics, those with digestive issues, etc. Don't get hung up on this, compliance is 9/10th of the diet.

4. The "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, dinner like a pauper" thing is a bit of a myth, but probably doesn't matter either way. Check out this page for a bunch of research on that http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-...r-for-fat.html

Everyone makes dieting WAY more complex than it needs to be. Some days I find myself sorting through pages of research, articles, books, lectures, and podcasts. Want to know what the answer ALWAYS is? Eat less calories than you're using, eat a wide variety of foods, eat fruits and vegetables, hit your macronutrient targets, and protein matters. Everyone gets hung up with better vs best vs betterest. /rant
    Last edited by Gypsy Jazz; 7/28/2011 10:46pm at .

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    This is actually spot on, an overweight relative of mine has been diagnosed with a misfiring heart, and because he was a bit rotund, advised he should lose weight, and he has, he cut out all complex carbs except porridge, as its allowed due to it's low GI, and he dropped a lot of weight.
    Indeed, sir. Would I lead you wrong?

I returned to porridge over a year ago and I'm sure it's been a positive contributor in reducing my (bad) Cholesterol level. Doctor is chuffed and the lunchtime run helps.

It's also very good at slow release of energy etc.

You know, I keep thinking that you have a silver top cane just out of view in your pic. What? What? Donchaknow;-)

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 12:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a whim, I picked up four tins of McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal during an Amazon Gold Box deal. When I think about it, the night before, I will put a cup of the oats in a metal bowl with 4 cups of water and a dash of natural vanilla extract and then put that bowl into a water filled Crock Pot and slow cook them overnight. Next morning, I add some fruit and a dash of Omega-3 milk and it is just awesome.

If you put them directly into the Crock Pot, you run the chance of them burning along the edges and it makes for easier cleanup.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can almost smell it. Mmmmmmm.

I have porride with a sprinkle of sugar and milk. I was raised on it. One of my friends took it with Salt instead of sugar (his parents were from Belfast and Ballymena so it's probably a N. Ireland/Ulster (9 county) thing. The salt is not a good idea as it leaves a tang in my mouth).

The Instant porridge (Quaker Oats) is equally OK with me - and easy for a lazy Git. 2 mins in the microwave, sprinkle of sugar and milk. Great stuff.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:35am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love oatmeal, though I've never had steel cut oats. I'm going to try to get back on breakfast, though lately my breakfasts have either been non-existent, or crap. I'm prepping for a move, and it's causing some stress.

Anyway, thank you all for the info. It's always nice to see the different points of view, now let's see if I can actually do anything with the information.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 11:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    I can almost smell it. Mmmmmmm.

I have porride with a sprinkle of sugar and milk. I was raised on it. One of my friends took it with Salt instead of sugar (his parents were from Belfast and Ballymena so it's probably a N. Ireland/Ulster (9 county) thing. The salt is not a good idea as it leaves a tang in my mouth).

The Instant porridge (Quaker Oats) is equally OK with me - and easy for a lazy Git. 2 mins in the microwave, sprinkle of sugar and milk. Great stuff.
    A small dash of salt with the sugar, can actually make it sweeter, with less sugar. I use salted butter, brown sugar and cream. Cinnamon and the occasional nutmeg...

That's a breakfast that will get you through a morning of hard labor

Breakfast these days is a cheese stick and a half cup of unsalted nuts. Not quite as satisfying, but easy to eat at the desk.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast