Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 8:04am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, did the OP not indicate that it was for CCH/CCW? I have handled AR and AK platformed pistols and they are a bit of a booger to conceal. It is pretty obvious that rifle calibers are by far more powerful, butthis is about concealment. I take my rifle with me all the time, but it is in my car or truck 99% of the time.

OP-if you want a 45acp with a higher capacity, buy a Glock 21 and put mag extensions on it. No very concealable, but it will give you 15 round capacity.

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 1:08pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point was not to carry a rifle. My point was that caliber should be one of the very last considerations in my opinion and that it makes much less difference than one would think.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Zaohu and I are on the same page here. I would carry the largest caliber weapon that is still easy to conceal and to shoot.

I don't regularly carry on my person, but I have thought about this a lot in case I ever decide to. My personal order of priority:

1 - Carry-ability : A .380 in the hand is better than a .45 back at the house. My double-stack wondernine does me no good when I leave it in the car or at the house because I can't conceal it without a coat.

2 - Shoot-ability : A small bullet put where I want it is better than a big bullet stuck where I don't, so it would have to be something I will want to shoot. A air-weight .357 may be all that in energy delivered downrange, but if it feels like it is going to break my hand every time I pull the trigger then I won't want to shoot it. If I'm not going to practice regularly, I may not be able to hit what I am aiming at when I need to.

3 - Caliber : All modern firearms can be lethal no matter the caliber, so I don't rank this quite as important as some people. I have heard as many stories of people dying after one shot from a .22 or .25 as I have of people surviving multiple shots from 9mm, .40 and .45. I judge accuracy > caliber (ie.shootability).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    If body armor enters the equation, then it's rifle all the way. Period.
    I've been wondering something: I hear that if you're shot wearing a vest, it's still very awful (bruised/broken ribs etc). A person may survive a few shots to the torso while wearing a vest, but will they still be fighting afterwards? Obviously excluding the incidents where a man takes a whole magazine unarmored and continues charging.

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 2:56pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've been wondering something: I hear that if you're shot wearing a vest, it's still very awful (bruised/broken ribs etc). A person may survive a few shots to the torso while wearing a vest, but will they still be fighting afterwards? Obviously excluding the incidents where a man takes a whole magazine unarmored and continues charging.
    I think it depends on if it has plates or not, really. My experience with vests lacking plates is woefully inadequate to speak to how effective they are to keeping you in the fight.

I knew a guy in Iraq who was on point clearing a house and took both barrels of a shotgun square in the chest as soon as he was in the door. The rest of his team took cover on the door frame. Dude ended up flat on his back but was the one who shot the guy who shot him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 9:18pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Springfield Armory XD compact 45. Done. Next?

Nice!

What's your experience with this? I held a full size XD and it didn't feel right in the hand to me.

I am looking/shopping for CCW.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the XD in 40. Like the ergonomics, pointability, reliability. Haven't had one hiccup with mine. I suggested the compact for you because it comes in 45. I also have a Sig 245. Nice little gun, holds only six plus one but is so accurate I don't let it bother me. I used to carry it for work with a couple of 8 rounders for reloads. Caliber may not be as important as some people make it out to be but my philosophy is that if someone is being so stupid that I need to put a hole in them I may as well make it a big hole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 2:28pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I have the XD in 40. Like the ergonomics, pointability, reliability. Haven't had one hiccup with mine. I suggested the compact for you because it comes in 45. I also have a Sig 245. Nice little gun, holds only six plus one but is so accurate I don't let it bother me. I used to carry it for work with a couple of 8 rounders for reloads. Caliber may not be as important as some people make it out to be but my philosophy is that if someone is being so stupid that I need to put a hole in them I may as well make it a big hole.
    Thanx.

I'll take a look at it and see if it feels any different from the full-size I held. Maybe the compact will feel better.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion is people make this discussion way more difficult than it has to be. The decision to carry concealed is a sound one. More gun is always better when it's time to shoot, but it doesn't count for **** if you didn't carry it because you didn't want it digging in your side all day.

Carry as much gun as you will put up with comfort wise. If that ends up being a .380, then that's just the way it is.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^ This. One of the reasons I am picking up a Walther PPS soon. After I get my Spingfield Champion Operator that is languishing at the gun store while I wait for my paperwork here in Jersey.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast