Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 5:54pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dojo is pretty far, but it's the closest thing to me for anything other than local community center stuff. If I find time to make it down there I'll let you guys know. Thanks!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2011 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    The Dojo is pretty far, but it's the closest thing to me for anything other than local community center stuff. If I find time to make it down there I'll let you guys know. Thanks!
    Some community centers have great instructors, some suck.

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Funakoshi re-modelled his Karate to suit the Japanese temprament. Group activity, Group Thinking and damn good preparation for military service...and we know where that led.
    Same place as other Japanese "group-activities" such as tea ceremony, Ikebana, and Kyudo? Actually, there were (and still are) such a small number of Karateka in Japan, relative to its total population, that teaching it individually or in groups would not lilely have "led" much of anywhere.

Oyama and others had learned Shotokan under Funakoshi and took it to Korea
    Please enlighten me as to when Oyama went back to Korea, with or without Shotokan. The ol' general who is credited with coining the term "taekwondo" and starting the ITF may have done this. When, however, did Oyama go back to Korea--and how exactly was his style anything particularly Korean? There's a mix of Goju and Shotokan, and an emphasis on conditioning and knockdown competiton, but how is that any more "Koreanised" than it is Okinawan or Japanese? I have read TKD fans of Oyama, and Koreans as well, who try to make this link, but see nothing about it from the Sosai's own writings.

As Native Koreans, they then decided to koreanise...odd that this seems to be overlooked. So much for the ?Thousand years of history.
    Okay, so how is Kyokushin "koreanised"? Oyama himself never seems to have mentioned this.

I love learning new stuff, so spell it out. I'm all ears.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 1:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I was looking mostly at this place:

http://www.hiokidojo.com/

Not the fanciest site, but I've seen worse sites for great schools before.
    I've heard good things about that school and if it wasn't so far I would have checked it out.
    http://www.all-karate.com/forums/ind...showtopic=2432
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=61383&page=1
    http://www.mavrinfo.com/lalaint.htm

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 2:36pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Same place as other Japanese "group-activities" such as tea ceremony, Ikebana, and Kyudo? Actually, there were (and still are) such a small number of Karateka in Japan, relative to its total population, that teaching it individually or in groups would not lilely have "led" much of anywhere.

Please enlighten me as to when Oyama went back to Korea, with or without Shotokan. The ol' general who is credited with coining the term "taekwondo" and starting the ITF may have done this. When, however, did Oyama go back to Korea--and how exactly was his style anything particularly Korean? There's a mix of Goju and Shotokan, and an emphasis on conditioning and knockdown competiton, but how is that any more "Koreanised" than it is Okinawan or Japanese? I have read TKD fans of Oyama, and Koreans as well, who try to make this link, but see nothing about it from the Sosai's own writings.

Okay, so how is Kyokushin "koreanised"? Oyama himself never seems to have mentioned this.

I love learning new stuff, so spell it out. I'm all ears.
    I wasn't thinking so much of Oyama - I know he created the Kyokushin style. Hmm, I'll have to dig out my back copies of COMBAT (UK Monthly mag) that stated the Shotokan had been taken to Korea by a 3rd Dan, who was Korean. Over time, he decided to koreanise. Sadly I can't remember his name but I'll see what I dig up.

This could take some time 'cos I can't remember what year it was published but it was sometime in the past 10 years. Don't hold your Breath, though. It could take a while.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't thinking so much of Oyama - I know he created the Kyokushin style. Hmm, I'll have to dig out my back copies of COMBAT (UK Monthly mag) that stated the Shotokan had been taken to Korea by a 3rd Dan, who was Korean. Over time, he decided to koreanise. Sadly I can't remember his name but I'll see what I dig up.

This could take some time 'cos I can't remember what year it was published but it was sometime in the past 10 years. Don't hold your Breath, though. It could take a while.
    Shotokan Karate got Koreanized in two directions, namely Taekwondo and Tang Soo Do (yes, the original style of Chuck Norris).

Lineage 1: Shotokan ->Kong Soo Do -> Tae Soo Do -> Taekwondo (ITF) -> Taekwondo (WTF)
    Lineage 2: Shotokan -> Kong Soo Do -> Hwa Soo Do -> Tang Soo Do -> Soo Bahk Do

and offcourse to make it complex: There exist schools of the two last forms of each lineage. (Taekwondo ITF & WTF, Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do) and there's also a "Shotokan Karate like style" as underprogram in Hwa Rang Do that's named Tae Soo Do, but that has got nothing to do with the original Tae Soo Do (in the Taekwondo lineage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 3:21pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rene

Thanks for the education. Happy to learn that.

Glad I don't have to try to find that article in COMBAT mag. It would not be easy.

Cheers

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're thinking of General Choi Hong Hi who was a nidan student of Funakoshi.
    The problem with Korean MA is that they like rewriting it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234