Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm high on a whole lot of pain, 5 ibuprofen, 1 sierra nevada,

For some reason I feel like writing about exactly what my personal upbringing in Karate was like, because really that's all anyone can do for you.

Karate is not one art. It's a million different arts, like Kung Fu. They're all different, and many have developed in different ways and many schools teach different things. There are a lot of influences. All modern non-koryu martial arts have been influenced by other martial arts over the years because the world has been so interconnected; Shotokan is no different.

It's going to take some time though.

Just saying.

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 10:26pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So where's the part where you tell me about what your personal upbringing in Karate was like? Did you forget because of the painkillers and amazingly delicious pale ale?

Posted On:
    7/25/2011 11:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    So where's the part where you tell me about what your personal upbringing in Karate was like? Did you forget because of the painkillers and amazingly delicious pale ale?
    It's coming, Rome wasn't built in a day. I have the day off tomorrow.

It started as a quick post reply, but I realized it would become the start of something longer. Not a book or anything mind you (I don't think my life is quite that interesting I'm afraid), but something to use beyond this site.

Posted On:
    7/26/2011 12:37am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good to me. Thanks, looking forward to it!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/26/2011 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I've done a little bit of a handful of martial arts now: Taekwondo as a kid, Aikido also as a kid, 5 Animal Kung Fu for a few years, some Wing Chun, Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and now Muay Thai. I've only done 5 Animal Kung Fu and Boxing for any half decent length of time, so don't be impressed or anything. But the thing is, I've never really learned anything ABOUT Karate let alone given it a shot, and it seems to be something a lot of people have done. Recently I started to catch some more interest in it, though. I've started noticing how many people here stand by it, even in YMAS. I've also noticed that some of the greatest fighters out there have used Karate: Lyoto Machida, Bas Rutten, and even GSP has a Black Belt in Kyokushin.

Honestly, before this interest started I sort of thought of all "Krotty" schools and styles being along the same lines as ATA and WTF except with a Japanese flag instead of Korean. The only things I really know about the art are that Gichin Funakoshi was apparently some badass and that Masutatsu Oyama used Funakoshi's style to create Kyokushin, which I may even be wrong on so correct me if I am. So here are my questions:

1. What are a few things I should know about Karate so that I don't look like a total n00b?

2. Are there any particular styles to stay away from and what should I watch out for if I try to give it a shot sometime?
    Funakoshi was no badass. Matter of fact a true badass, Choki Motobu, often talked bad about Funakoshi and his brand of, what he felt, as watered down karate. Unfortunately this is a common theme. Everyone's Karate is watered down except for the one the person saying its watered down is doing. The difference is those who fought and those who told stories of those who fought. Motobu was a fighter. In a famous conforntation with a boxer Motobu won but when the article ran about it the drawn picture depicted a man that looked like Funakoshi because he was more well known at the time.

Funakoshi did however produce some badass fighters. Oyama was a shotokan student as well but felt that many of the karateka were karate dancers worrying more about how well their kata looked instead of application. He took that and made Kyokushin.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 5:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Funakoshi was no badass. Matter of fact a true badass, Choki Motobu, often talked bad about Funakoshi and his brand of, what he felt, as watered down karate. Unfortunately this is a common theme. Everyone's Karate is watered down except for the one the person saying its watered down is doing. The difference is those who fought and those who told stories of those who fought. Motobu was a fighter. In a famous conforntation with a boxer Motobu won but when the article ran about it the drawn picture depicted a man that looked like Funakoshi because he was more well known at the time.

Funakoshi did however produce some badass fighters. Oyama was a shotokan student as well but felt that many of the karateka were karate dancers worrying more about how well their kata looked instead of application. He took that and made Kyokushin.
    Choki Motubu was most certainly a bad ass. There are significant difference between the styles, especially between Okinawan the Japanese and of course the plethora of McDojos in the US which has pretty much turned karate into kickboxing, which it isn't. Karate and Judo/Jiu Jitsu are actually quite similar, but have evolved down two different paths. Judo/Jiu Jitsu turned down the grappling path and de-emphasized the striking and kicking paths and karate went down the striking and kicking path and de-emphasized the grappling.

There are some very traditional Okinawan schools that have preserved real karate and that is what I would look for.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 6:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GB-BJJ / Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsubayashi View Post
    There are some very traditional Okinawan schools that have preserved real karate and that is what I would look for.
    I wish I could find one of those types of schools. I guess I will just have to make due with seperate classes of Jiujitsu and Karate for now.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 6:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are significant difference between the styles, especially between Okinawan the Japanese
    Like what?
    and of course the plethora of McDojos in the US which has pretty much turned karate into kickboxing, which it isn't.
    From the outside they seem similar. They both involve kicking and punching your opponent.

Karate and Judo/Jiu Jitsu are actually quite similar,
    How?

How would you recognize one and what is "real karate" to you?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 9:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Like what?

From the outside they seem similar. They both involve kicking and punching your opponent.
    Japanese karate styles tend to emphasize competition sparring, more just brute punching and kicking (closer to kickboxing). More traditional Okinawan schools are much more focused on getting in, controlling your opponent and striking, applying both static and dynamic joint locks or throwing them. This is a very broad generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    How would you recognize one and what is "real karate" to you?
    I tell this to anyone trying to find a school. You need to go and check it out in person and watch a few classes. Find out what system they are apart of if any and then do research on how old the system it is and how legitimate the credentials of the school are. Personally I wouldn't train in any karate school that didn't have a connection with an organization in Japan/Okinawa, or a Japanese or Okinawan person running it in the US. Its ok if the head of the system is an American (or whichever country you are in) broke of, as long as there was a long history before the split and preserved things as is.

Martial arts is like religions. They are always fragmenting when some seniors get into disagreements. Then there are the commercial mail order sensei mcdojos.

As a side note, pressure point stuff is fine, but if they start talking no touch knock outs, chi-balls or any other Dillman crap run like hell. Pressure points are real, but they are just minor tools being areas you hope you can hit in a fight. They are not magic bullets, but you should be aware of them.
    Last edited by Matsubayashi; 7/28/2011 10:29pm at .

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As others have suggested, what you need to know about Karate is how nebulous a term it has become...and you need to be aware of the quality-control issues which come with that lack of single definition.

Forget the word "Karate". It's come to cover so many things--both good and bad--that it's nearly meaningless now in any practical sense.

Go to a dojo. Watch what they do, participate to the extent you are allowed without signing one, and decide for yourself which one most closely suits your training goals (you have nailed down exactly what it is you want to accomplish--right?--otherwise, on what basis are you going to choose a dojo/school/gym/style/whatever?).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast