Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No more martial arts

About a week ago I developed dizziness, pain and nausea after a hit to the head in training. I went to the Doctor who organised a CT scan. The scan shows my cerebellum is herniating and pushing out of my skull. Both my Doctor and the Neurosurgeon she called have advised me to ceased martial arts/any contact sports....forever.

I currently train 6 days a week and was preparing for a ring karate fight in October. I was due for my kyokushin black belt test in December.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I don't know what to do with myself now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 5:40pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a second opinion. I've been misdiagnosed before, and most doctors won't understand what different martial arts entail.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on a 6 month lay off. I was feeling fairly sorry for myself, but ****...

Is there any possibility that taking some time off could fix things up a bit? Also, getting a second opinion is always a good idea.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 6:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an MRI scheduled and an appointment with a different Neurosurgeon soon. I am a Nurse and the Doctor who diagnosed me is my friend, she has also done martial arts in the past. I trust her diagnosis but I also want to get the best information and treatment possible so I will seek out as many opinions as I can. Taking some time off may help with my symptoms but unfortunately the only treatment available is surgery. Fingers crossed I dont need surgery as the thought of having brain surgery freaks me the hell out.

@Crackfox - What has you out of training for 6 months? Can you exercise at all? It would be very frustrating not being able to exercise at all. That's were I am lucky I am still able to exercise, just not do anything that could result in me getting hit in the head or have pressure put on my neck. Unfortunately all the things I enjoy doing involve these things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2011 9:27pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poor bastard I know what its like to have these things taken away from you. I've got an arthritic neck and a plate in my forearm which has problems. The plate (which is coming out soon hopefully) stops me from sparring or even holding thai pads. And my neck gives me serious **** every time I go too hard with weights, heavy bag or boxing with kids, let alone head control etc.
    Its been about 2 yrs and I feel like there is a massive void in my life that needs to be replaced. For a while now I've gone back to smoking pot but this is kinda just "masking" the problem. I've tried just being a trainer in a vain hope that I could live through the kids but nope that dont cut it either.
    Someone with a more level head than mine said to me once "There has to be something wrong with someone who needs to be a fighter". In part I agree, most of us do have a screw loose, which makes me wonder do I need professional help to let this need go? Ha! not gonna happen. I think I'll just have to keep looking for a replacement.
    The same friend recommended motorbikes as this can replicate the feeling of being in the moment,and the freedom, adrenaline, and power. But then went on to say I'd probably kill myself.
    Good luck with your problems and if you have a good replacement I'm all ears... eyes.

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 12:03am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budochic View Post
    About a week ago I developed dizziness, pain and nausea after a hit to the head in training. I went to the Doctor who organised a CT scan. The scan shows my cerebellum is herniating and pushing out of my skull. Both my Doctor and the Neurosurgeon she called have advised me to ceased martial arts/any contact sports....forever.

I currently train 6 days a week and was preparing for a ring karate fight in October. I was due for my kyokushin black belt test in December.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I don't know what to do with myself now.
    Not that we're all medical experts here or anything but some of us do work in the medical field. Do have a specific name for the condition you have? Cerebellum herniating and pushing out your skull may be a layman's explanation of what's going on but it wouldn't hurt to have a medical term to look up or ask the doctors that I or anyone else may know about. Can you give any more info?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a Chiari malformation with significant inferior herniation of the cerebellar tonsils through the foramen magnum. They are also querying syringomyelia.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budochic View Post
    @Crackfox - What has you out of training for 6 months? Can you exercise at all? It would be very frustrating not being able to exercise at all. That's were I am lucky I am still able to exercise, just not do anything that could result in me getting hit in the head or have pressure put on my neck. Unfortunately all the things I enjoy doing involve these things.
    Nothing major, just a clavicle fracture which required a plate to be put in. I haven't been able to exercise since the accident, but next week I'll be allowed to do things. No judo though until they take the plate out again.

Being completely inactive is fairly freaky. I've developed these spasms in my back that sometimes get so bad I can't breath. It really freaked me out the first time it happened, at about 2 in the morning. Also, TV is so bad these days - how do people watch that shite?

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 5:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friend of mine has Arnold-Chiari malformation. Although she has an extremely strict "do not touch my head or neck" policy, she is currently finishing off her masters in college, being extremely active in endurance sports and working on the side.

Depending on your type of condition, surgery is an option, but success rate is not 100%. More likely, you shall have to find a less traumatic sport to take part in, but my friend has what sounds like a far more severe condition than yours and still manages to live and enjoy life to the fullest. You can work around it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 6:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on your type of condition, surgery is an option, but success rate is not 100%. More likely, you shall have to find a less traumatic sport to take part in, but my friend has what sounds like a far more severe condition than yours and still manages to live and enjoy life to the fullest. You can work around it.
    I am certainly not saying that I have a condition that is going to impair my body in a serious way. So far I have dizziness, vertigo, nausea and headaches, but I can live with that. I am thankful that I am still able to lead a healthy, happy life.

Basically my problem is that I have devoted the last 4 years or so to martial arts. I train nearly every day. When I am training for a tournament/fight (like I was until 3 days ago) I train 2-3 hours a day. Now someone is telling me I can't do that. I am sad.

I am looking for something (if there is anything) to help fill the void. Someone at my gym suggested yoga. My husband suggested body sculpting but that is because he thinks it looks hot. I am after something that requires discipline and commitment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast