Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 9:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I meant that I have a lot of luck with it but when I Google for the combination I don't get a lot of search results.

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This Video is the one that reminded me:

Uke steps out of the Ko soto gari and then Tori goes for Tai Otoshi. When Uke steps out like that I usually try to Uchi Mata on the leg that he stepped out with.

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Sorry, I meant that I have a lot of luck with it but when I Google for the combination I don't get a lot of search results.
    Yeh its surprising how few videos of combinations there are out there. And the few videos there are tend to be low quality.

This Video is the one that reminded me:

Uke steps out of the Ko soto gari and then Tori goes for Tai Otoshi. When Uke steps out like that I usually try to Uchi Mata on the leg that he stepped out with.
    Yup that's the one I thought you were talking about.

So you have a right handed grip your opponent has a left handed grip, like in the video?

If your Ko soto gari t-s you up as in the video. See my edited version for a clear illustration of the ko soto t-ing up

Then yes you can go for an uchi mata, seoi nage whatever.

However, what you're going to find is that reversing in on a retreating opponent is going to be very difficult. Its a higher level skill to throw a retreating opponent with a forward technique, so unless your Uchi mata is very good you're going to struggle.

So yes you can do Ko soto to Uchi mata, but its going to be hard to do the Uchi mata, because your opponent is going backwards.

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the T you highlighted is exactly what I look for. I think part of the reason this works for me is that my Uchi Mata is leagues better than my Ko soto gari. I honestly rarely intend to throw with the Ko soto just get the step out into that T'ed up position.

Is there a Judo term for playing footsies just to change your Ukes positioning? That is generally what I do when I go for little foot sweeps. I'm mostly trying to get them to switch stance or off balance in the direction I want.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the T you highlighted is exactly what I look for. I think part of the reason this works for me is that my Uchi Mata is leagues better than my Ko soto gari. I honestly rarely intend to throw with the Ko soto just get the step out into that T'ed up position.

Is there a Judo term for playing footsies just to change your Ukes positioning? That is generally what I do when I go for little foot sweeps. I'm mostly trying to get them to switch stance or off balance in the direction I want.
    No term that I know of.

In terms of doing the uchi mata off the kosoto gari, you have to wait until the put down their left foot. If you go for the uchi mata before that, uke tends to be able to step off the throw pretty easily. That is the issue that judoka uk noted on a retreating uke. In this case, make the kosoto attack, but catch uke as he commits the weight to the left foot. You can do most forward throws in any case once you are t'ed up.

It's a good thing to do, though, and something that is missing from a lot of people's judo.
    Last edited by BKR; 11/11/2011 1:37pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234