Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate Do? Couple q's?

Hey all..

First of all...what is it? Is it often a victim of the Mcdojo syndrome? It's offered as a non-credit thing as 'community education' in my college guide, that a instructor named Ricardo Olade runs at a middle school... Also named as Olalde Ricard in another section.

Anyway, I know nothing about that style, and thought I'd ask. Anything?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously. Google.

http://www.karateonmain.com/instructors.html

He looks legit. Whether it's something you want to train is another question.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! Yeah, Google is great, but I like tapping into all the experience and first-hand knowledge around here. Thanks for the replies! I have no experience and don't know if I want to train it or not, it just caught my eye...and is only $60 for like two or three months, twice a week... I only have experienced Kyokushin, Muay Thai, and Boxing though.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's probably a lot more theory-based. Dollars to donuts you'll do parry-block drills, a simple kata, an Okinawan-style warmup (which I happen to like), and some form of sparring, which could be anything from point karate to continuous, no-gear, light-contact slap fighting (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) to Kyokushin-style banging.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    Chinese martial arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately goju ryu has become a victim of the mcdojo syndrome. Based on my own experience, years ago I trained in it and became a brown belt in 7 months, and these were people who had direct lineage to Peter urban and Chojun Miyagi. So, yeh, most goju schools have the same formula. It's more geared towards kids. They do a warm up, a few drills, teach a few kata, learn a couple of self defense moves (but they rarely teach bunkai), once in a while they spar and it's over. Not all schools are mcdojos but it would be hard to find a decent one.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.goju-karate.co.uk/

I think you'll find that this gentleman is well respected. I have his book and also his senior student's, Goran Powell. I enjoyed the latter but have only skimmed the former (but it looks good to me). His students compete in Cage Rage.

Hope it helps.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started doing martial arts with GoJu Ryu when I was 9 years old. Back then there was no kids class. I got accepted at such a young age because my father trained there. I recall sitting in seiza on hardwood floors awaiting my turn and listening to instructions, doing small throws on the same floors (bunkai and prearranged sparring), sparring that hurt, and doing kata until my legs were smoked. Great times. I stopped training there when I was around 23, moved away, and the school closed down. Its sad that GoJu Ryu has a bad reputation now. We were affiliated through Yamaguchi G. then switched to Yamakura Motoo (for reasons I didn't know, I think Yamakura was closer to us). Anyway, my experiences with that style, in comparison to others I've done, is that GoJu is relatively fast paced, grounded, emphasizes close range fighting, cardio and strength training, a lot of kata (we required a lot of bunkai), prearranged sparring, free-sparring (no-gloves, various levels of contact), and lots of basic movements practice (a little bit of weapons). GoJu has some pretty apparent Chinese influence in it...though more so in its sister art Uechi Ryu. Anyway, if it looks good...do it! And best of luck.