Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First tap outs last night! *and question*

So, I've been training at an MMA school for 3 weeks and studying Daito-Ryu/Hakko-Ryu for 1 week and last night I got my first tap out (actually 2 of them) at my MMA class... my very first time ever rolling. Previously being explained that most of the guys there don't get taps for their first few months.

Tell you more? OK!

first tap came from me somehow winding up in guard and being able to pass into mount, and I started pulling his left arm across his face (no gi), sort of putting his face into the crook of his elbow. I was trying to be as heavy as I could with my hips on his chest, and trying to further annoy his breathing with his own arm. I was also hoping to get him to react by straining in the opposite direction so i could catch him pulling his left arm back to his left side to help me get an armbar off (he's quite a bit stronger, and I didn't feel like I could just pull his arm over). Anyway that's exactly what he did and as soon as I felt him pull hard to remove his arm I threw my leg over and sunk in an armbar (that I didn't quite have, but adjusted to lock it quickly). TAP.

I almost punched through the goddamn mirror.

I'm not kidding my lungs were on fire, and I'd never rolled before and although a ton of it seemed like a mass confusion of wrestling somehow i still instinctively passed guard and got off an armbar.

Thrilling stuff guys.

The second one was just kind of a bizarre fluke. I was in my partners half guard and was shoving my forearm across his throat. when he used his hands to pry it off i kind of did a half kimora half japanese-y jujutsu lock thingy on his arm right in front of his chest and got him to tap from just the pressure on his wrist.

My question:

As long as I'm struggling for position i feel pretty confident. But how the hell do you guys breathe when you're on your back and someone is on top of you?

From guard it wasn't all that bad, I mean I've never rolled before, so being on my back was kind like OMG PANIC TIME. From Kesa Gatame I feel like I want to tap just because I may never breathe normal air again. Like I have a ton of weight on me anytime the Judo guys get on top, and they keep their gi in my face, or my arm across my face.
    What do you guys do to not feel like you're suffocating when the guy on top of you is crushing you?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, calm down, plenty of people get taps on their first roll, especially if you are rolling with noobish people, which from how you got those taps, it sounds like they were.

When you are on bottom, try not to have your back flat against the ground, you need to shrimp to get a hip off the ground, and keep distancing in order to retain your guard or scramble into a dominant position. Doing this keeps their weight off of your solar plexus/body cavity enough for you to maneuver around. Just wait until you roll with someone who likes to utilize the "knee ride".

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a hardening up proccess as well.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies.

The guy I subbed has only been training about 6 months. I wasn't inferring that I just gogo'd Batman or nothing, but still I was excited.

I didn't feel comfortable at all being on my back in guard, but that wasn't putting me in panic mode that much. From Kesa they just kind of drag me anytime I try and shrimp or bridge-and-roll, and stretch me back out. I just kind of loose concentration, and my mind starts to zero in on how goddamn heavy they are, and how hot the little air i'm getting is under there.

I was just kind of surprised how fast my mind wanted out as soon as i was on my back restricted. How long does it take before you're more comfortable in those positions? Or any tips to open up air flow?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginzo View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The guy I subbed has only been training about 6 months. I wasn't inferring that I just gogo'd Batman or nothing, but still I was excited.

I didn't feel comfortable at all being on my back in guard, but that wasn't putting me in panic mode that much. From Kesa they just kind of drag me anytime I try and shrimp or bridge-and-roll, and stretch me back out. I just kind of loose concentration, and my mind starts to zero in on how goddamn heavy they are, and how hot the little air i'm getting is under there.

I was just kind of surprised how fast my mind wanted out as soon as i was on my back restricted. How long does it take before you're more comfortable in those positions? Or any tips to open up air flow?
    Tip: Roll more. A lot more. keep training. The resilience will come to you, and you'll be in these positions less often as long as you put in a bunch more mat time.

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair play for the killa skilz
    After 3 years of judo I can still get the fear when some fat lump is on top of me
    The only way to get over it is to stay calm, let your opponent do all the graft and recharge your batteries ready for a counter strike
    My buddy has a great mune gatame varient where he links arms and squeezes the breath out of me
    once he has me in his death grip all I can do is tap

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are doing MMA wait until you are under doing ground and pound.

That sux