Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hello

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello

Hello, I'm a newbie, and I'm pleased to meet you.
    My only experience with martial arts are kiddie Tae Kwon Do and Gumdo (forms only T_T).
    Now, I'm in high school, and I'm looking forward to join the high school wrestling team.
    However, I also want to get into Jeet Kune Do (the functional one), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Filipino Martial Arts (the functional, alive ones), but these arts tend to be expensive, and my mother says, "Why bother going to the trial lesson when it's going to be too expensive (she has that assumption when the training fee isn't given away at the phone or online)."
    So, do you guys know of any good, affordable (less than $200/month for 4 days/week) places to learn from in the metro Atlanta region of Georgia? If so, let me know.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there . . . :)
    I am also new here, did you learn Tae Kwon Do somewhere or just have the video training ?

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Super Duper,

Welcome to BS.

Since bjj prices are beyond your means at this time, may I suggest you consider judo?

Prices are typically much less and it'll help take your wrestling to a new level.

Georgia judo dojo links-

http://www.georgiajudo.com/judo-clubs

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned Tae Kwon Do from McDojos as a kid and only learned forms and point sparring.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I was thinking about Judo. Also, If you know of any posters from my area, can you direct them to this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Super Duper,

Welcome to BS.

Since bjj prices are beyond your means at this time, may I suggest you consider judo?

Prices are typically much less and it'll help take your wrestling to a new level.

Georgia judo dojo links-

http://www.georgiajudo.com/judo-clubs

Style
    Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might also consider Boxing.
    From what I read here, a boxing membership is usually quite cheap and it's both an excellent MA and a hell of a workout.

One more point, I don't think your Mom is right here.
    Go and try every free lesson you can, some place's price might surprise you, others might offer you a good deal, if they like you and think you're gonna actually be worth the work.
    And if they don't, you haven't lost anything other than some time, which you haven't actually lost, cause time spent learning is never a waste.
    Besides, it'll give you more info for comparison with other gyms, so you can make a more intelligent decision when you finally make one.

Last point, you're on a very good start with the HS wrestling program, stick with that.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I was considering boxing.
    Gidi, I agree with you on trying every free lesson I can, but my mother says that she can't afford to waste gasoline on aimlessly driving to gyms/schools that are at least 25 minutes away from my house. But, I will definitely stick to wrestling.
    By the way, I know this is taboo for you guys, but I was considering Burton Richardson's distance learning program for JKD and Kali.
    This is the link: http://jkdunlimited.com/
    This program is heavily sparring-based rather than being good at compliant drills, and the video testing is a video of isolated sparring rounds. I was thinking of buying the necessary equipment like headgear with a cage, groin protector (Can someone give a sizing chart for those?), MMA gloves, shin-guards (Can someone give me a sizing chart for them?), focus mitts (Are Thai pads better?), mouth-guard, kicking shield, padded sticks, rattan sticks, aluminum knife trainers, and a mat (Can I just substitute it with grass?) and get a couple of friends to train with me everyday, at least an hour a day. Can you read his stuff and watch his videos? I would like to know of your opinions.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone gonna answer?

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Duper View Post
    Anyone gonna answer?
    No, because your idea is stupid.