Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 9:55pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STFU kip and answer nefron's question. Meditate on that answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 9:57pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    The knee kick is done with the heel and in a reverse manner so that you can do it close at a distance. So your saying sticking your finger in someones eye wont take them out? My problem with competition arts is that they dont use techniques that could kill or seriously hurt the other guy. I have seen MMA fights that stopped when the eyes were accitdentally bumped.
    I could break your arms and legs so you die from shock. I could snap the tendons and ligaments in your knees, I could tear the rotator cuff in your shoulder. I could choke you to death and If I really wanted to, I could break your neck. Eye gouges would only anger me.

Notice how I say I. Because I have no doubt that the techniques I train would work, because 90% of the people on this site train them too, because they do work, and there is evidence that they work.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Anyone on here can tell you eye gouges dont work, again its a pain move. Aside from that, its damn hard to pull off on someone trying to smash your face in with nice clean effective punches.

Same with clapping the ears, just try it on someone who is trying to hit you, its ridiculous.

The only situation where these moves work is that of the unprovoked agressor.
    These are some of the worst arguments I've ever heard for the correct conclusion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who needs good arguments in a thread like this. They'd be wasted.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Who needs good arguments in a thread like this. They'd be wasted.
    Now THAT is a good point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    So your saying sticking your finger in someones eye wont take them out? My problem with competition arts is that they dont use techniques that could kill or seriously hurt the other guy. I have seen MMA fights that stopped when the eyes were accitdentally bumped.
    Gerard Gordeau vs Yuki Nakai
    Gerard eye gouged Yuki so hard that he went blind in his right eye. Yuki managed to defeat Gerard even with the injury to his eye via submission. That's right they MMA fighter that gouged another fighter so hard in the eye that he went blind lost the fight not by DQ but by a legitimate loss.

That wasn't the only fight that he won that night either. After losing vision in his eye, he got back in to fight Pittman who out weighed Yuki by a good margin...He defeated Pittman, but he wasn't done yet. He would lose the third fight after lasting a good 6 minutes against Rickson Grace. So yes, I feel very confident in saying it won't take someone out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    Gerard Gordeau vs Yuki Nakai
    Gerard eye gouged Yuki so hard that he went blind in his right eye. Yuki managed to defeat Gerard even with the injury to his eye via submission. That's right they MMA fighter that gouged another fighter so hard in the eye that he went blind lost the fight not by DQ but by a legitimate loss.

That wasn't the only fight that he won that night either. After losing vision in his eye, he got back in to fight Pittman who out weighed Yuki by a good margin...He defeated Pittman, but he wasn't done yet. He would lose the third fight after lasting a good 6 minutes against Rickson Grace. So yes, I feel very confident in saying it won't take someone out.
    This all over. I've seen the footage from that tournament. Yuki Nakai is one very brave hard man.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:31pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kip,

You are not going to find the approval that you are seeking.

Eye gouges, knee kicks, groin shots, ear boxing, etc... are all low to zero percentage techniques. They will not work in any reliable means against someone who doesn't want to be hit/kicked/touched. Even if you train those strikes for thousands of repetitions, it won't increase their success rate because they are inherently low percentage. You might get a lucky shot though. Do you want to rely on luck?

That's it. Really.

Sport arts are recommended because they have developed high percentage techniques that are proven to do damage time and time again against people who don't want to be hit/kicked/touched. The delivery system is tried and tested over and over and over. Can you train the sport arts and use the delivery system to strike vital areas? Absolutely, but again, they are not guaranteed game finishers. Of course, this means training hard in an art to try to become proficient in the delivery system.

If you want to defend yourself with minimal physical effort, buy a weapon, train yourself to use that weapon, and carry that weapon.

But, I don't need to tell you that. You're a police officer.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:44pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kip is a troll. Call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:55pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey kip,

Don't mind these guys too much. All you're going to get out of them is "STFU and do MMA!" which you've already said you have some experience with and isn't the answer you're looking for.

It sounds to me like what you're looking after is pretty much straight up self-defense or some kind of paramilitary combatives. The sad truth is it's really, really hard to find anybody teaching that kind of material in any kind of realistic fashion. I looked for years and have [I]never[I] found it in anything appealing that would not have involved extensive travel and expense.

The best advice that I can offer would be start doing your own research into basic self defense, military combatives and police defensive tactics. I, personally, really like the WWII era curriculum for this kind of stuff. If you keep it simple and use common sense, you can literally self-teach up to a reasonable degree of proficiency.

Of course, at some point you're going to need live bodies to train with because there are some things you just can't do with a dummy. At that point you either need to convince some friends and cop buddies to rough and tumble with you or take a martial art and just accept the fact that it's never going to be quite right.

In keeping with the general tone of this forum, I actually would recommend a sport style over most "art" styles. Quality control is just generally better. Combine some solid sport training (say, Judo, for example) with regular home practice of vital point striking and dirty fighting and you've got yourself a pretty tidy package.

I'd get out of the Bujinkan if I were you. I haven't trained in it personally, but I've seen what they do and, honestly, most of it just looks like crap. The same goes for Systema, if that's what you mean by Russian Martial Arts, though Sambo can be pretty good.

I have seen decent Krav Maga but I've also seen a lot of crap and, ironically, "Commando" Krav Maga does not seem to be the good stuff.

Here's a couple of links to get you started...

http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical...-a-martial-art
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast